Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

blueskys wrote: »
    Watched a documentary 'last breath' about a commercial diving accident in the north sea last night. It is rivetting and a master lesson in story telling. Highly recommended

Seen that a while back strongly recommended. Also there are a few BBC documentarys on youtube I think that deal with saturation diving and are also excellent. I watched them after being amazed by this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Really liked white gold, I'd imagine that's the end of it though?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Coronavirus, ExplainD
    In 2020, the world changed. This topical series examines the coronavirus pandemic, the efforts to combat it and ways to manage its mental health toll.

The Last Kingdom season 4
    As Alfred the Great defends his kingdom from Norse invaders, Uhtred -- born a Saxon but raised by Vikings -- seeks to claim his ancestral birthright.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Really enjoying Kim's Convience. Takes a few episodes to find its rhythm (as most comedies do), but really loving it.

Also watched the first episode of Pose. Highly recommended. It's based around the same scene in New York in the 80s that 'Paris is Burning' was about. Very well made, and very poignant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

tigger123 wrote: »
    Really enjoying Kim's Convience. Takes a few episodes to find its rhythm (as most comedies do), but really loving it.

Also watched the first episode of Pose. Highly recommended. It's based around the same scene in New York in the 80s that 'Paris is Burning' was about. Very well made, and very poignant.

Pose is incredible. Season two is also brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Extraction really didn't do anything for me. Pure paint by numbers actioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mikhail wrote: »

Perfect family entertainment when you have teens I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mikhail wrote: »

Perfect family entertainment when you have teens I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Really enjoying season 2 of Kingdom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Rfrip wrote: »
    Pose is incredible. Season two is also brilliant.

Yep, I was really knocked out by the first episode. If you haven't seen Paris is Burning, check it out. Makes you realise how true to life Pose is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Really enjoying season 2 of Kingdom
    It's brilliant. There's a thread for it, but unfortunately most people don't do sub-titles.

It's brilliant. There's a thread for it, but unfortunately most people don't do sub-titles.

Did find it a lot better in Korean with English subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Did find it a lot better in Korean with English subtitles
    Personally, can't abide dubbing. Everything just feels fake, and ruins it for me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Personally, can't abide dubbing. Everything just feels fake, and ruins it for me.
    I'd be curious as to how many of Netflix's customers choose to watch shows not in their native language using subs and not dubs. Varies massively by country (Scandinavians for example would very rarely dub, whereas France dubs heavily) but Netflix I imagine has the actual data.

Popular shows like 'Money Heist' comes to mind - are people watching it subbed or dubbed? Any figures from this forum probably wouldn't translate really to the wider audience many of us here are a tad fussier probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I detest both dubbing and subtitles. I've started and ditched many dubbed shows on Netflix that I didn't realise are dubbed and actively avoid any that I suspect are.

I've a little more tolerance for subtitles but it would be need to be very good for me to stick with it. Ditched Unorthodox as it wasn't sufficiently gripping for me.

How I wish Netflix had a way of filing away things of no interest, and things I've already watched either on Netflix or on another platform.

Watched Extraction, not a bad film. Good action,close combat and car chases. Grand action film to pass a couple of hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ixoy wrote: »
    I'd be curious as to how many of Netflix's customers choose to watch shows not in their native language using subs and not dubs. Varies massively by country (Scandinavians for example would very rarely dub, whereas France dubs heavily) but Netflix I imagine has the actual data.

Popular shows like 'Money Heist' comes to mind - are people watching it subbed or dubbed? Any figures from this forum probably wouldn't translate really to the wider audience many of us here are a tad fussier probably.

Subtitles here. I've always preferred it to dubbing, and am actually surprised people in some countries prefer dubbing. It does take concentration though. My wife had to put the knitting down to watch Money Heist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

ixoy wrote: »

Subtitles here. I've always preferred it to dubbing, and am actually surprised people in some countries prefer dubbing. It does take concentration though. My wife had to put the knitting down to watch Money Heist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Watched Extraction, not a bad film. Good action,close combat and car chases. Grand action film to pass a couple of hours

Same here.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

wish man. fantastic movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Yes me too, really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Mean Streets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Oh! Season 4 of the last kingdom has arrived! No sleep for me so. Class show..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

tigger123 wrote: »
    Yep, I was really knocked out by the first episode. If you haven't seen Paris is Burning, check it out. Makes you realise how true to life Pose is.

I’ve definitely seen people online complain about certain characters and their stilted delivery. But if you watch Paris is Burning it’s very true to life. A deliberate slowing of the cadence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

5Gang (Romanian )
    To keep the band together, Selly tries to earn money by making an appearance at the birthday party of a mobster's daughter -- until he gets kidnapped.

Never Have I Ever season 1
    After a traumatic year, all an Indian-American teen wants is to go from pariah to popular -- but friends, family and feelings won't make it easy on her.

The Last Dance: Episode 3
    The Last Dance: Episode 4

added

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Definitely subtitles for me. I now actually watch English speaking films with subs too as you tend to miss some bits. Prime example for me, went to see Interstellar in cinema which I loved, then watched about a year later at home with subs and picked up stuff I didn't catch at the cinema. Made a lot more sense then on some aspects.

On foreign films, I remember watching a dubbed film and then re watched with subtitles and some of the dialogue was completely different. Never watched a dubbed film after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched "The Decline" last night. A Youtube survivalist organizes a few days away in the wilderness for his fans, but shortly into the course things go horribly wrong.

It only has a 80 minute run time, but I found it to be surprisingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Watched "The Decline" last night. A Youtube survivalist organizes a few days away in the wilderness for his fans, but shortly into the course things go horribly wrong.

It only has a 80 minute run time, but I found it to be surprisingly good.

Yeah I really enjoyed it! Somewhat topical given the current prepper existence we're living in. Found it darkly amusing too, as bad as civilization can be, this alternative seemed far worse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

watched extraction last night, very enjoyable and pretty much non stop action

unorthodox was good also, had no idea when watching that there
    was only 4 eps in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Fysh wrote: »
    The film and book are both great - if possible watch the film first then read the book, as the book's approach to the final act is more grounded in its problem-solving than the film was.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    The audio book is fantastic too.

Based on The Martian I attempted to read Artemis by the same author. I never read the Martian but the quarter/third I managed to get through of Artemis was awful and I stopped convinced that he just got lucky with the job Hollywood done with The Martian and it had an excellent screenplay team.

Advertisement