Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The Martian is a very enjoyable book for what it's worth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,504 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

keane2097 wrote: »
    The Martian is a very enjoyable book for what it's worth.

It's almost a perfect example of a good page-turner. And unlike a lot of genre fiction these days, wasn't written as a first in a series (something that grinds my gears as an avid reader of SciFi) so can be enjoyed by itself.

Listening to Weir, I got a laugh out of his claim that JPL / NASA were on to him after the book came out; basically asking who his insider was in their institutions. Point being that the author made so many informed guesses, they assumed he had a contact there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

pixelburp wrote: »
    wasn't written as a first in a series (something that grinds my gears as an avid reader of SciFi) .

Yeah it's very prevalent isn't it. Everyone wants to be the next Harry Potter/Game of Thrones/Jack Reacher etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Yeah it's very prevalent isn't it. Everyone wants to be the next Harry Potter/Game of Thrones/Jack Reacher etc
    Going on an aside here: It's hardly new though. Started back in the '70s with Shannara in fantasy for example and then Wheel of Time in the '80s. 'A Song of Ice and Fire' just happened to do better and get bigger recognition. I don't think fantasy series have gotten massively longer in terms of instalments (there was a reddit thread on this recently).

Obviously, more source material is good for mining for TV - but as an avid reader
    myself, there's loads of untapped potential out there. At least 'The Martian' was a good one to adapt and I'm glad they did. I recall it being mentioned at Octacon years back and only a handful in the room at the time (myself being one) had heard of it as it was a self-published title. Sometimes, the right story does get picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Hurrache wrote: »
    Based on The Martian I attempted to read Artemis by the same author. I never read the Martian but the quarter/third I managed to get through of Artemis was awful and I stopped convinced that he just got lucky with the job Hollywood done with The Martian and it had an excellent screenplay team.
    I liked Artemis okay, but it's not a tap on The Martian. If anything, the consensus is even harsher on Artemis - the characterisation of the protagonist seems to infuriate many readers - but don't let it put you off reading The Martian if you liked the movie, because it's a great read. The film is a relatively faithful adaptation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Martian was a very entertaining read. Artemis was nowhere near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Started on Tiger King two nights ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I listened to the audiobook of Artemis and thought it was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dunno, I rarely give up on books but I couldn't do it with Artemis, it was awfully written.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Jaysus could ye give the Martian chat a rest?! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Afterlife - short and sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

On Episode IV of The last dance and this is an absolutely brilliant documentary series. And I'm not even a big basketball fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭WildWater

Ozark S3 maybe it’s just me but I’m finding it hard to get back into this. I was really looking forward to S3 but two episodes in and I haven’t bothered going back to it in more than a week. I did enjoy S1&2. It just feels like more of the same without anything really happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Binge watched Unforgotten over a difficult weekend. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Caranica wrote: »
    Binge watched Unforgotten over a difficult weekend. Loved it.

Watched first season
    Almost gave up after first episode
    Glad I didn’t
    Another win for the thread

Will leave it a week or so before season
    Probably when I finish Afterlife

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

km79 wrote: »
    Watched first season
    Almost gave up after first episode
    Glad I didn’t
    Another win for the thread

Will leave it a week or so before season
    Probably when I finish Afterlife

You might like Hinterland. I watched it when it was originally on BBC. Can't beat a good UK crime drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Don't stop with Hinterland.

Follow on with....

River.
    Collateral.
    Happy Valley.
    Marcella.
    Luther.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Geostorm
    When a weather-controlling satellite system suddenly breaks down, a scientist must race against the clock to prevent a climate cataclysm on Earth.

The Reliant
    When a town suffers an economic collapse, social unrest forces a family to seek refuge in the wilderness as bitter outlaws threaten their survival.

Luther was next on the list
    I’ve seen Happy Valley mentioned a few times now too. Been on my list for ages
    I do like a good bbc drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

WildWater wrote: »
    Ozark S3 maybe it’s just me but I’m finding it hard to get back into this. I was really looking forward to S3 but two episodes in and I haven’t bothered going back to it in more than a week. I did enjoy S1&2. It just feels like more of the same without anything really happening.

I have to say I feel the exact opposite about this season of Ozark. Think it's the best yet, but am only 3 episodes into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

tigger123 wrote: »
    I have to say I feel the exact opposite about this season of Ozark. Think it's the best yet, but am only 3 episodes into it.
    Agreed, reckon it’s the best of the three also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Ozark S3 is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Am watching too hot to handle. It’s completely brainless garbage but an easy watch. There is a girl called Ronda in it and she is absolutely beautiful looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

On to Episode 6 of Season 3 Ozark. Its a good show but at times I feel like it has no end goal and the following season will be just more of the same. Hopefully I'm wrong and Season 3 develops the story towards an eventual end.

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    On to Episode 6 of Season 3 Ozark. Its a good show but at times I feel like it has no end goal and the following season will be just more of the same. Hopefully I'm wrong and Season 3 develops the story towards an eventual end.

I hated it
    Only made it to end of season one Cos the wife made me
    It didn’t help that just looking at Jason Batemans face annoys me . And his voice
    So that’s not a good start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

peteeeed wrote: »
    Geostorm
    When a weather-controlling satellite system suddenly breaks down, a scientist must race against the clock to prevent a climate cataclysm on Earth.

The Reliant
    When a town suffers an economic collapse, social unrest forces a family to seek refuge in the wilderness as bitter outlaws threaten their survival.

This made me smile. I see similar descriptions on SyFy and Horror channel films. Must be a staple of low budget films. Not the premise itself but starting with "When a..." It's like the low budget version of "In a world..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

km79 wrote: »
    I hated it
    Only made it to end of season one Cos the wife made me
    It didn’t help that just looking at Jason Batemans face annoys me . And his voice
    So that’s not a good start :D

I got to episode 2 of season 3. Packed it in because of that hill billy redneck young one, “f*ckin f*uck fu*ckidy mothaf*uck” repeat. She’s getting all this positive commentary in the media about her acting. I think she’s hopeless and annoying.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kolido wrote: »
    We will kick of the round of last 16 this evening, hopefully the last 2 matches will resolve by then

Look at what thread you're in man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Look at what thread you're in man :pac:

Yes. It's the Netflix recommendations thread!

All those things listed are on Amazon Prime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 canteringh

Having withdrawal symptoms since recent series of Better Call Saul ended. Have started to wartch The Crime -it's Polish ( subtitled) and worth a look. Just two series of three episodes each.

Advertisement