Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wow! Finally got round to watching Lion. Brilliant film, in absolute floods at the end. We really don’t know how lucky we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Wow! Finally got round to watching Lion. Brilliant film, in absolute floods at the end. We really don’t know how lucky we are.

Cracking movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The guys singing voice sounds scarily like Andrew from Big Mouth

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=atJPy2uBvvM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Dangerous Lies
    A broke caregiver unexpectedly inherits her patient's estate, but dark secrets swirl around her newfound wealth, tangling her in deceit and danger

DRIFTING DRAGONS season 1
    Dragons are on the menu as the crew of the airship Quin Zaza sets out on a hunt. If they fail, empty stomachs will be the least of their worries.

Rich in Love
    Rich kid Teto is determined to prove himself to Paula, his love interest. But when he tells her he grew up poor, the lie spins out of contro

The Victims' Game season 1
    After discovering his estranged daughter's link to mysterious murders, a forensic detective with Asperger's syndrome risks everything to solve the case.

The Forest of Love: Deep Cut
    Nothing's as it seems when a charismatic conman and an aspiring film crew delve into the lives of two emotionally scarred women.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Can't wait for Dead To Me, loved the first series!

Workin' Moms good for a giggle too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Don't stop with Hinterland.

Follow on with....

River.
    Collateral.
    Happy Valley.
    Marcella.
    Luther.

Loved all the above, just felt Luther was too dark for me,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

gmisk wrote: »
    Enjoying never have I ever, it's light and fun can tell it's by Mindy kahling.
    It will tide me over til Schitts creeks new series!

looking forward to this, mindy project and champions are great

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

LilacNails wrote: »
    Just watched Last Breath ... Omg... Was literally holding my breath, highly recommend.

Those of u that have watched it, I have a question...
    Did the medic guy go down to Chris? The footage of him waving, who took it and when we're they not going over to help him?

It was a submersible robot I'm pretty sure,looking to locate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Talvar is an Indian movie about a murder investigation. I watched it because it was in the intersection of the Venn diagrams of Irrfan Khan movies (as he died the other day) and movies on Netflix. It's a dramaticisation of a real case, but of course it's not clear how faithful to the truth the story is. The story was apparently quite a scandal in India because of the class of the people involved, as well as salacious rumours surrounding it. The investigation is carried out by three teams - local cops, a state-level organisation (I guess the obvious comparison would be the FBI) lead by Khan's character, and a second team from that organisation. The film depicts a farcical bungling of the investigation, and a real travesty of an outcome. It's captivating and it's difficult not to be angered by aspects of the story. I highly recommend it to fans of true crime. It's a good showcase of Khan's talents too - the man had great screen presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

Finally got around to starting the Vietnam War. Only one episode in but can already tell it's a masterpiece. Not sure it's something I could binge on though...heavy going and lots to digest.

Is that the Oliver Stone one?

Listrydude wrote: »
    Is that the Oliver Stone one?
    No, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Finally got around to starting the Vietnam War. Only one episode in but can already tell it's a masterpiece. Not sure it's something I could binge on though...heavy going and lots to digest.

World War 2 in Colour is also excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Loved Unorthodox. Good story, well told.

511495.png

What felt like a part-documentary into the life of a Hasidic Jewish community added weight to the emotional upheaval involved in leaving such an oppressive and regimental society. Magnetic performance from the lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Does the Irishman improve after the first 49minutes(episode )?
    Found it boring
    Tempted to just start Luther

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Buttros wrote: »
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/29/borgen-to-return-with-new-series-on-netflix

Netflix has partnered with DR, the Danish Broadcasting Corporation, to film a new eight-episode series of Borgen
    Gasp!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Loved all the above, just felt Luther was too dark for me,

Oh I thought Luther was brill, Alice is such an interestingly mad character

Broken and Three Girls are other great British dramas, hard hitting stories but still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

km79 wrote: »
    Found it boring

Nope!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

km79 wrote: »
    Found it boring

Haha. The first and last hour are the best. In between u
    is boring af!! It’s 1 film I will never watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Modern family 7 seasons
    New girl all 7 seasons

Hollywood: Season 1
    What if you could change the story? The limited series from Murphy and Ian Brennan follows a group of aspiring actors and filmmakers in post-World War II Hollywood as they try to make it in Tinseltown — no matter the cost. Each character offers a unique glimpse behind the gilded curtain of Hollywood’s Golden Age, spotlighting the unfair systems and biases across race, gender and sexuality that continue to this day.

Mrs. Serial Killer
    When a doctor gets jailed for a string of shocking murders, his loyal wife sets out to commit a copycat crime to prove his innocence. Jacqueline Fernandez, Manoj Bajpayee and Mohit Raina star in writer-director Shirish Kunder’s spine-tingling thriller.

K-19: The Widowmaker (2002)
    On board Russia's first nuclear ballistic submarine, Capt. Vostrikov must race against time to prevent a Chernobyl-like explosion

Get In
    When he returns from vacation and finds his home occupied by squatters, a family man is caught in a conflict that escalates to terrifying heights.

The Half of It
    A shy, introverted student helps the school jock woo a girl whom, secretly, they both want in Alice Wu’s coming-of-age dramedy.

Into the Night: Season 1
    This Belgian thriller begins with a sudden solar event, as the sun inexplicably starts killing everything in its path. The show centres on the lucky passengers and crew of an overnight flight out of Brussels, as they attempt to fly west — into the safety of the dark night. The plane’s manifest is multinational and multilingual, with passengers rich and poor, young and old, civilian and military. The seemingly ordinary travelers share but one thing: A desire to survive the sun — and each other — by any means necessary.

All Day and a Night
    A young man embarks on a journey of self-discovery after landing in the same prison as his father in this indie drama, starring Ashton Sanders and Jeffrey Wright.

Medici: Season 3
    Medici: The Magnificent shows the power of art and beauty as driving forces behind Medici rule. The series shows the journey of a man who falls many times before he can find himself again.

Almost Happy: Season 1
    Sebastián, a radio show host of modest fame, tries to find a way in the world as he deals with his ex-wife (whom he still loves) and raising his children

Adult Life Skills (2016)
    Anna, nearly 30 and living in her mom's shed, bonds with a young neighbor and an awkward estate agent as she faces pressure to get her life on track

Four Brothers (2005)

Cracked Up: The Darrell Hammond Story
    "Saturday Night Live" star Darrell Hammond reveals the extreme abuse he suffered during childhood, a trauma that nearly destroyed his life as an adult..

First Knight (1995)
    You've Got Mail (1998)

Letters to Juliet (2010)
    By responding to a letter addressed to Shakespeare's tragic heroine Juliet Capulet, an American woman in Verona, Italy, is led in search of romance

Killer Cove
    An unlucky woman finds a solution for her hateful ex, a trying job hunt and a stalker through a charming P.I. -- only to endure a new set of problems

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
    Using a sharp, blade-fingered glove, a disfigured slasher named Freddy Krueger creeps into the night and turns his victims' fears into reality

Oh Yuck Season 1
    Using a concoction of cartoons, comedy and live action, Dr. Yuck and his eccentric lab mates investigate the science behind the planet's ickiest things

Disturbia (2007)
    A teen sentenced to house arrest begins watching his neighbors out of boredom -- only to discover evidence that a serial killer is close.

The Perfect Storm (2000)
    Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat (2003)
    Fire with Fire (2012)
    Mouse Hunt (1997)
    The Rugrats Movie (1998)
    3 Ninjas: Kick Back (1994)
    Funny Girl (1968)
    Norbit (2007)
    RED (2010)
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
    Jupiter Ascending (2015)
    Run All Night (2015)
    Faster (2010)
    Labyrinth (1986)

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

May have been discussed earlier, but I watched The Post" last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable and engrossing.

I was expecting lots of cliched shouting between the leads but it was much more nuanced than that.
    It was interesting to see the importance the print media had at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

peteeeed wrote: »
    Modern family 7 seasons
    New girl all 7 seasons
    Both superb for their first few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

joe40 wrote: »
    May have been discussed earlier, but I watched The Post" last night and found it thoroughly enjoyable and engrossing.

I was expecting lots of cliched shouting between the leads but it was much more nuanced than that.
    It was interesting to see the importance the print media had at the time.

Got to agree. A fantastic show and one would hope a second series will come out. Very good storyline and acting. Well worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Wondering weather to stick with Fauda. 5 episodes in and it seems like every episode they go out on a mission get incredibly close to the bad guy only for him to escape last second. Feels repetitive.

Bleeding Steel. This is a Jackie Chan movie. It plays like a camp parody of a GI Joe movie. Good guys and bad guys in a race for a sci-fi super-soldier technology, a disfigured villain with a pvc-clad henchwoman and a flying lair, and over the top action. The key to the whole thing lies inside a college student who is in fact Jackie Chan's character's daughter. The plot barely makes sense, which will enrage anyone who doesn't go into it with brain firmly switched to mmm... popcorn mode, but the action is fun and varied, with martial arts, gun fights, car chases, etc. some colourful set and costume design, and goofy humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

You might like Hinterland. I watched it when it was originally on BBC. Can't beat a good UK crime drama.

Threw an episode on just now. Hadn't realised it's based in Aberystwyth. Went to university there, was due to visit next month. Really strange seeing it after 20 years!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched The Half Of It this morning.

It's official description is..... "Shy, straight-A student Ellie is hired by sweet but inarticulate jock Paul, who needs help winning over a popular girl. But their new and unlikely friendship gets complicated when Ellie discovers she has feelings for the same girl."

People are comparing it to some of the other Netflix teen films from recent years, but it's a completely different kind of film as far as I'm concerned. It's so incredibly sweet and heartfelt and I watched it with a massive smile on my face the whole way through. It's quite funny too but it's not a "rom-com" in the style of To All The Boys... or anything like that. It's just a genuinely heartfelt and lovely film and is, for me anyway, the exact kind of thing to be watching in these weird times.

First episode of Luther was ludicrous
    Might give it one more ......

First episode of Luther was ludicrous
    Might give it one more ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Wondering weather to stick with Fauda. 5 episodes in and it seems like every episode they go out on a mission get incredibly close to the bad guy only for him to escape last second. Feels repetitive.

Yea I said the same to herself, practically in the same building a hape of times and he saunters away.
    That said it's a decent enough watch. We've just started season 2.

Advertisement