Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

mikhail wrote: »
    No, Ken Burns and Lynn Novick.

Alot of ken burns stuff is brilliant. His doc on the american civil war is brilliant and some great contributors. Hes another on the West on netflix and a good one on youtube i found on the Dust bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bennett's War
    A medically discharged soldier attempts an improbable return to motorcycle racing to win enough prize money to save his father's farm

Death Can Wait
    After learning he may die soon, a modest accountant pulls off a shady money scheme and heads to Europe, where he's faced with a life-or-death situation.

Lady Driver
    When a rebellious teen searches for her unknown roots, it leads her to the sport of dirt track racing and a discovery she didn't expect.

Roped
    A star cowboy in a traveling rodeo gets thrown off course when he falls in love with the daughter of a tough-minded town councilman.

The Stand at Paxton County
    A military veteran comes home to find her father harassed by a sheriff intent on confiscating the livestock on their ranch under shady pretenses.

Added

Thanks to all who recommended kingdom the Korean zombie series, it's excellent, really well done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does Hinterland get better? I've watched two episodes and they feel long and laborious. Have no empathy for the characters nor care about who did it. At 90 minutes an episode I think I'd rather watch paint dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I watched The Half Of It this morning

I was browsing this thread yesterday and decided to check this out based off this post. I also really enjoyed it and recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

The last dance is very good if your a sports enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,858 ✭✭✭billyhead

The last dance is very good if your a sports enthusiast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

peteeeed wrote: »
    Thanks to all who recommended kingdom the Korean zombie series, it's excellent, really well done

Second that..... really really enjoyed it. Hope there will be a 3rd season

RuPaul's Secret Celebrity Drag Race
    Celebs open their hearts to the transformative power of drag and compete in iconic "Drag Race" challenges -- with a little help from former contestants

Added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I see that Signal was written by the same person and also scores very highly on IMDB. It is available on Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Masala wrote: »
    Second that..... really really enjoyed it. Hope there will be a 3rd season

Think I’ll give that a go

Just finished watching mid 90s
    Said I’d stick it on for 90 minutes of fun 90s nostalgia on a Sunday morning
    What I got was 90 minutes of depression
    It’s not bad but not what I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Medici Series 3.

Just watched A Secret Love. Truly beautiful TV

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Not a recommendation - watched 'Dangerous Lies' as it was no. 1 for Ireland.

Complete scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭munster87

Not a recommendation - watched 'Dangerous Lies' as it was no. 1 for Ireland.

Complete scutter.

Yeah, watched it as well, B-movie feel from the offset, very messy plot and poor acting, couldn’t recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

munster87 wrote: »
    Yeah, watched it as well, B-movie feel from the offset, very messy plot and poor acting, couldn’t recommend it.
    5.2 on imdb.
    I prefer the Netflix ux in general, but I do like the way they display the IMDb ratings on Amazon prime.
    I guess the popularity rankings aren't something to pay much need to.

Last dance eps 5 & 6

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Last dance eps 5 & 6

Added

Ideal !

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Binged Into the Night yesterday, was great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Caranica wrote: »
    Does Hinterland get better? I've watched two episodes and they feel long and laborious. Have no empathy for the characters nor care about who did it. At 90 minutes an episode I think I'd rather watch paint dry?

Myself and the wife watched this over the past couple of weeks and finished it the other night. It was good and I'd recommend to stick with it. It is long at 90 minutes a episode but stay with it, as it all ties into together in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭El Duda

Following on from my post a few pages back...

The best of the ones I've seen that are available on Netflix - Part 2

Blindspotting – 9/10

One of the best that I have seen in a while. It has clearly been highly influenced by other films, but the end-product still feels fresh and original. It reminded me of a several movies such as Menace 2 Society, Do The Right Thing, 8 Mile, Clerks and La Haine.

It was co-written by the two lead stars (Rafael Casal and Daveed Diggs) who were both cast members in the original stage production of Hamilton. Casal’s character ‘Miles’ really reminded me of El-P from Run The Jewels for some reason. Not sure if that was intentional or not?

The cinematography is incredibly stylish, everything just looks so damn sexy. The soundtrack compliments the visuals perfectly. The climax of the film is one of the most powerfully performed and inspiring bits of writing I have seen in a long while.

Available on Netflix and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. Essential viewing

As Above So Below – 7/10

Yet another horror film that the critics got wrong. Much like the overlooked Grave Encounters, this a found footage movie where the location is key. I was constantly wondering how and where on earth they filmed it. Turns out it was filmed exactly where it was set, the Catacombs of Paris.

As the various characters descend deeper and deeper underground, I felt the claustrophobia growing. If you are someone who struggles with tight spaces, this is near panic inducing stuff.

Most of the characters are likable, especially Perdita Weeks who plays a rather convincing archaeology student. It has a bit of a shame that some of the lesser characters are clearly there for the body count and as a result have no depth whatsoever.

Crammed full of religious symbolism, director John Erick Dowdle deserves plaudits for trying to elevate this material beyond the usual found footage schlock and doing thorough research. The imdb trivia page is well worth a read.

Dolemite Is My Name – 7.75/10

Any time an actor as supremely talented as Eddie Murphy gets back in the game, it is to be celebrated. Not only is he back on top form but he seems reinvigorated and motivated. He’s joined by a fantastic, predominantly black, ensemble cast and there’s not one weak link amongst them. The standout is a scene-stealing Wesley Snipes who goes places you’d never expect.

The story explores the origin of Rudy Ray Moore and how he turned Dolemite into a Blaxploitation icon. It’s told using the tried and tested, underdog biopic format and it works perfectly. It’s a great vehicle for Murphy to do his thing and there are lots of great comedic and musical moments.

The Disaster Artist recently tried to tell an underdog story in similar fashion, but this is much better; It’s much more accessible for those not familiar with the story and it’s a lot funnier. Murphy deserves more attention for this, and I’m baffled as to how it didn’t get an Oscar nomination for best costume design. Very enjoyable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Binged Into the Night yesterday, was great fun.

yep enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

El Duda wrote: »
    Following on from my post a few pages back...

The best of the ones I've seen that are available on Netflix - Part 2

Blindspotting – 9/10

One of the best that I have seen in a while. It has clearly been highly influenced by other films, but the end-product still feels fresh and original. It reminded me of a several movies such as Menace 2 Society, Do The Right Thing, 8 Mile, Clerks and La Haine.

It was co-written by the two lead stars (Rafael Casal and Daveed Diggs) who were both cast members in the original stage production of Hamilton. Casal’s character ‘Miles’ really reminded me of El-P from Run The Jewels for some reason. Not sure if that was intentional or not?

The cinematography is incredibly stylish, everything just looks so damn sexy. The soundtrack compliments the visuals perfectly. The climax of the film is one of the most powerfully performed and inspiring bits of writing I have seen in a long while.

Available on Netflix and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. Essential viewing

As Above So Below – 7/10

Yet another horror film that the critics got wrong. Much like the overlooked Grave Encounters, this a found footage movie where the location is key. I was constantly wondering how and where on earth they filmed it. Turns out it was filmed exactly where it was set, the Catacombs of Paris.

As the various characters descend deeper and deeper underground, I felt the claustrophobia growing. If you are someone who struggles with tight spaces, this is near panic inducing stuff.

Most of the characters are likable, especially Perdita Weeks who plays a rather convincing archaeology student. It has a bit of a shame that some of the lesser characters are clearly there for the body count and as a result have no depth whatsoever.

Crammed full of religious symbolism, director John Erick Dowdle deserves plaudits for trying to elevate this material beyond the usual found footage schlock and doing thorough research. The imdb trivia page is well worth a read.

Dolemite Is My Name – 7.75/10

Any time an actor as supremely talented as Eddie Murphy gets back in the game, it is to be celebrated. Not only is he back on top form but he seems reinvigorated and motivated. He’s joined by a fantastic, predominantly black, ensemble cast and there’s not one weak link amongst them. The standout is a scene-stealing Wesley Snipes who goes places you’d never expect.

The story explores the origin of Rudy Ray Moore and how he turned Dolemite into a Blaxploitation icon. It’s told using the tried and tested, underdog biopic format and it works perfectly. It’s a great vehicle for Murphy to do his thing and there are lots of great comedic and musical moments.

The Disaster Artist recently tried to tell an underdog story in similar fashion, but this is much better; It’s much more accessible for those not familiar with the story and it’s a lot funnier. Murphy deserves more attention for this, and I’m baffled as to how it didn’t get an Oscar nomination for best costume design. Very enjoyable.

Have to agree on Dolemite. Brilliant film, I loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Eddie Murphy was brilliant in it. Huge promise that we might get 80s Eddie, almost back to his best, again.

The film itself didn't hold my interest.

Blindspotting has been on my list for ages, must try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

+1 on Dolemite is My Name - I'm not a big fan of Eddie Murphy, and I found this very very entertaining!!

On a different note, I am in the minority that didn't really enjoy Uncut Gems, although I can understand why people liked it.
    The story was interesting and the performances solid - especially from Adam Sandler, another actor that I don't rate generally. But I hust found it very loud/noisy - a bit chaotic at times and wasn't a fan of the frequent use of music throughout the film, to me it was just another layer of noise on top of the general noisy tone of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

I've been watching Press (one episode left). BBC drama about two rival newspapers and how print media operate in modern society. Think the guardian vs the sun. One episode to go and so far it has been very good. Only 6 episodes as well so nice and short.

The BBC have a tendency to jump the shark with some of their dramas and ruin it so hopefully this doesn't happen here but if it does, at least they have left it until the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Good detailed post El Duda.

While I'm grateful for posts informing what's been released, it's nice to get a post that actually recommends a film.

Augme wrote: »
    I've been watching Press (one episode left). BBC drama about two rival newspapers and how print media operate in modern society. Think the guardian vs the sun. One episode to go and so far it has been very good. Only 6 episodes as well so nice and short.

The BBC have a tendency to jump the shark with some of their dramas and ruin it so hopefully this doesn't happen here but if it does, at least they have left it until the end!

I enjoyed it. Think there's scope for another series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Eddie Murphy was brilliant in it. Huge promise that we might get 80s Eddie, almost back to his best, again.

The film itself didn't hold my interest.

Blindspotting has been on my list for ages, must try it!

I was the same. Got bored of Dolemite about 60 minutes in. Haven't gone back to finish it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

Caranica wrote: »
    Just watched A Secret Love. Truly beautiful TV

Just watched it.. heartwarming and heartbreaking..

Advertisement