Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Just started it...let the episodes build up so I could watch a good few together. I used to love watching the Bulls in the 90s. Jordan was just an amazing athlete...he glided around the court and defied gravity. Fair to say he transcended sport.

I'm loving watching it...not just for Jordan either

Same, just started it yesterday evening and I'm two episodes in...it's a great watch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭billyhead

Same, just started it yesterday evening and I'm two episodes in...it's a great watch!!

Agree. It's very well put together. There are still episodes 9@10 to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,071 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Thanks to whoever recommended Rake. Just finished it. Very funny. Really enjoyed it.

Rake is fcucking class. I did think it went w bit nuts in the last few seasons but still a great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

joeguevara wrote: »
    Rake is fcucking class. I did think it went w bit nuts in the last few seasons but still a great show.
    The real person the character was based on also became a politician, so he was probably always headed in that direction.

Watched 60 days in yesterday. Really enjoyed it. I think they chose the inmates, not to learn about the jail, but to just have a hit show. Some of them were more unhinged than the inmates themselves while others fit in perfectly. Well worth a watch.,really Enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Watched 60 days in yesterday. Really enjoyed it. I think they chose the inmates, not to learn about the jail, but to just have a hit show. Some of them were more unhinged than the inmates themselves while others fit in perfectly. Well worth a watch.,really Enjoyed it.

I love prison programmes.... Gonna watch this tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Re: The Last Dance
    • Do you need to be a Basketball fan to like it?
    • Does it suffer from the usual "we are leaving out loads of facts here and this is only about 20% true" usual Netflix nonsense? (See: Making A Murderer, Tiger King and many more for this)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭budgemook

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    • Does it suffer from the usual "we are leaving out loads of facts here and this is only about 20% true" usual Netflix nonsense? (See: Making A Murderer, Tiger King and many more for this)

You don't need to be a basketball fan to like it.

I suppose only a basketball fan can answer the second question or would notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

They've had the footage for 20 years and needed Jordan to sign off on it to be made so I'm sure they're is a certain amount of spin to suit his side of the story even though he still doesn't come across as a saint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

cian68 wrote: »
    They've had the footage for 20 years and needed Jordan to sign off on it to be made so I'm sure they're is a certain amount of spin to suit his side of the story even though he still doesn't come across as a saint

Considering he’s signed off on it and we are seeing the best of him, he seems like a thoroughly unlikeable horrible narcissistic arsehole, would be fairly bleak watching the real him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Considering he’s signed off on it and we are seeing the best of him, he seems like a thoroughly unlikeable horrible narcissistic arsehole, would be fairly bleak watching the real him.

I must be watching a different show. I see a hard working, focussed winner who demanded the best from everyone around him. If he was narcissistic, he wouldn't have adapted to Jackson's strategy which focussed on them playing as a team rather than just giving him the ball the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

He doesn’t look well now.
    Hope he’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

You must be watching a different show to me. I don't get that impression at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

So far he's come across very well and seems completely up front and honest. Ruthless fella and a nightmare to be around but one of the true greats in sport.

LilacNails wrote: »
    I love prison programmes.... Gonna watch this tonight!

Let us know what you think. Hopefully they will add all of the other seasons soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I'm not a massive basketball fan but lived through the 90s and the Jordan era and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. They do address his gambling issues, him being a bit of a bully, the Isiah Thomas situation but its all explained and given background so you don't have to know anything going in. Also it's not solely on Jordan, there's and episode or two dedicated to Scottie Pippin and Dennis Rodman. Even if you don't have an interest in basketball it's a great character study of one of the best athletes in world sport and the phenomenon of the brand he created.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very few documentaries will give you every shred of info in an unbiased manner.

I'm a big sports fan but generally don't care for American sports but found it very good. Give the first epo a go and see what you think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Addle wrote: »
    He doesn’t look well now.
    Hope he’s ok.

Yeah the yellowness in his eyes struck me when I first saw him. Haven't seen anything about him being sick though so hopefully all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Luther
    I just don’t get it
    It’s all ridiculous. Over the top acting
    I mean who even sits the way he does !

I think I’ll chance Kingdom and or American shameless

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

km79 wrote: »
    Luther
    I just don’t get it

I could never get into Luther either. I think the overall storylines were fine but he did always seem like a parody to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The man was just a winner when it came to his chosen sport,
    He gave his everything every single game and every single session and demanded the same dedication form team mates ,

Most greats have a personality and drive that other find hard to deal with but its what sets them apart, Without it we wouldn't have these legends ,

Never makes the English or Irish press for some reason but Messi personality is very similar to Jordan , Same goes for Ronaldo but we are all aware of that,

Sure even our very own Roy has some of these traits that pure winners have,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think it's a really good insight into his psyche.
    They made a massive deal of him playing for $1000 a hole in golf. That's pocket money for him, he had sound financial advice that locked away most of the cash, an endless supply from Nike. The timing just seemed like they were prepping for the loss to the Knicks and the end of the Dance but got it wrong.
    But it seemed like he always needed an edge, $20 with the security guards, taking the lads Blackjack money to say he their cash in his pocket, destroying that defensive player for the Suns due to Krause being a fan. He just needed something to chase.

Scottie Pippen is the man though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Scissor Seven Seasons 2 (Mandarin)
    Seeking to recover his memory, a scissor-wielding, hairdressing, bungling quasi-assassin stumbles into a struggle for power among feuding factions (one of the more interesting descriptions )

added

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Let us know what you think. Hopefully they will add all of the other seasons soon.

Watched 5 episodes yesterday...couldn't get into it til the 3rd but I'm hooked now! Very good.... U would have to pay me A LOT of money to do what their doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

fin12 wrote: »
    Yes it’s brilliant.

thanks for getting me onto Last Kingdom its great , I had it in my head it was a low end production , it's very very good .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

razorblunt wrote: »

But it seemed like he always needed an edge, $20 with the security guards,

Just reminded me my favourite part of the whole thing has been the security guard giving him the shrug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think it's a really good insight into his psyche.
    They made a massive deal of him playing for $1000 a hole in golf. That's pocket money for him, he had sound financial advice that locked away most of the cash, an endless supply from Nike. The timing just seemed like they were prepping for the loss to the Knicks and the end of the Dance but got it wrong.
    But it seemed like he always needed an edge, $20 with the security guards, taking the lads Blackjack money to say he their cash in his pocket, destroying that defensive player for the Suns due to Krause being a fan. He just needed something to chase.

Scottie Pippen is the man though!
    cian68 wrote: »
    Just reminded me my favourite part of the whole thing has been the security guard giving him the shrug

Spoilers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

km79 wrote: »
    Luther
    I just don’t get it

I think I’ll chance Kingdom and or American shameless

Completely agree. I couldn't get past episode 2. Awful awful stuff. The acting is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,748 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Finally got around to watching Derry Girls (had to go to All4 for the second season but still) and I'm only mad I hadn't sooner, one of the best pieces of entertainment to ever come out of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Finally got around to watching Derry Girls (had to go to All4 for the second season but still) and I'm only mad I hadn't sooner, one of the best pieces of entertainment to ever come out of Ireland.

I hear this a lot but I just don't get it , I think its awful maybe there's something wrong with me :)

Advertisement