Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Its a limited series documentary about sporting events that happened over 20yrs ago,its not a TV show.

It's a show designed for television, ergo, it's a TV show

Very poor form either way to discuss the events so openly in a forum such as this

For someone who only knows who Michael Jordan is by name, i.e., basketball's equivalent to Muhammed Ali but very little about the sport itself I was looking forward to watching it but watching it seems very pointless now that I've been informed of what happens/happened thanks to some of the ignorant posters in here, well done guys, you should be proud of yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Finally caved after many recommendations to watch Sons of Anarchy. Great series! Horrible Irish accents from most actors but very enjoyable so far.

Getting a giggle as a Donegal man from hearing them pronouncing the G in Dungloe also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all... after watching Kingdom... Netflix giving me a Korean recommendation.

Anyone recommend a good Korean to watch? Don’t mind subtitles... actually prefer it. !!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I knew very little about Michael Jordan before, other than he was a BIG name in sports, and was Spoiler! in Space Jam. After the last few pages of this thread I still know very little about Michael Jordan. The documentary is how many hours long? If a handful of posts can spoil it I'd have to wonder what they've filled the run time with.

Masala wrote: »

Anyone recommend a good Korean to watch? Don’t mind subtitles... actually prefer it. !!!

Have you watched Train to Busan? Don't think it's on Netflix but probably the best zombie movie I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

It be great if there was a not interested feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very poor form either way to discuss the events so openly in a forum such as this

For someone who only knows who Michael Jordan is by name, i.e., basketball's equivalent to Muhammed Ali but very little about the sport itself I was looking forward to watching it but watching it seems very pointless now that I've been informed of what happens/happened thanks to some of the ignorant posters in here, well done guys, you should be proud of yourselves

Ignorant posters ? It's from over twenty years ago. It's hardly a secret that the Chicago bulls won six NBA titles in the 1990's. The behind the scenes footage has been under lock and key since then and that's what the draw is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,847 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I knew very little about Michael Jordan before, other than he was a BIG name in sports, and was Spoiler! in Space Jam. After the last few pages of this thread I still know very little about Michael Jordan. The documentary is how many hours long? If a handful of posts can spoil it I'd have to wonder what they've filled the run time with.

Hours of unseen footage from Michael Jordan's time with the bulls from 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Have you watched Train to Busan? Don't think it's on Netflix but probably the best zombie movie I've ever seen.

Yes.... excellent. Have seen a good few outside-Netflix Korean movies. Always keen to see more!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If you don't want to see spoilers, then do what I do - avoid threads about it until you're up date with the episodes. I don't expect other people not to be able to discuss a show just because I haven't seen it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Daisy03

LilacNails wrote: »
    Just watched Last Breath ... Omg... Was literally holding my breath, highly recommend.

Those of u that have watched it, I have a question...
    Did the medic guy go down to Chris? The footage of him waving, who took it and when we're they not going over to help him?

No. From what i could tell it was a remote controlled device that went down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I get immensely frustrated with modern spoilerphobia, tbh. I think it fundamentally devalues the best part of storytelling. What’s far more important than ‘what’ happens is ‘how’ it’s told. It’s why we can rewatch favourite films where we know the ending, or why WW2 stories have such lasting appeal even though we all know - spoilers! - the Allies won.

I am all for common courtesy in people using spoiler tags or designated spaces to discuss details about fiction people are still discovering for themselves (although think it’s all fair game after a while). But to ask for details about widely known and reported real-world events from two decades ago to be spoiler-tagged is IMO a bit much, regardless of the fact there’s a new show about it. And to suggest that a mere factual retelling of events is all the show has to offer is doing it disservice - consider it instead a valuable analysis of major sports and cultural events, with the input of the key players decades after the fact. It has far more to offer than being merely a Wikipedia page :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is Titanic on Netflix :D:D:D

Back on topic. Thanks to the people who said to stick with Hinterland. It's no Unforgotten but almost gripping from episode 3, as I discovered when I went back to it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Caranica wrote: »

Back on topic. Thanks to the people who said to stick with Hinterland. It's no Unforgotten but almost gripping from episode 3, as I discovered when I went back to it this week.

Loved hinterland. Loved unforgotten.

I’ve nothing to watch at the minute. Am saving series 3 of dead to me for next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Ignorant posters ? It's from over twenty years ago. It's hardly a secret that the Chicago bulls won six NBA titles in the 1990's. The behind the scenes footage has been under lock and key since then and that's what the draw is.

I dont think anyone has an issue with the basketball results, its the unseen footage that was mentioned a few pages back. There are discussion threads elsewhere on boards, this is only a recommendation thread.

Anyways, thats all I will say on the topic, it's a great documentary btw for anyone who hasn't watched it yet.

If you don't want to see spoilers, then do what I do - avoid threads about it until you're up date with the episodes. I don't expect other people not to be able to discuss a show just because I haven't seen it.

My apologies, I thought this was the Netflix recommendation thread but it turns out it's the Discuss The Last Dance as much you want thread - I take it all back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Masala wrote: »

Infernal Affairs 1 & 2. Infernal Affairs 3 was a bit ****. The Departed was adapted from Infernal Affairs 1.
    Lady Vengeance
    Old Boy
    Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
    The Handmaiden
    Thirst
    All of those except the Departed films are by the same director, so if you try one you'll have a good idea if you'll like the others. Old Boy is probably the most well known and popular.

Only the Infernal Affairs films are in Netflix though actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

That's complete nonsense. I'm in the same boat re knowing much about him but there's been zero spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

My apologies, I thought this was the Netflix recommendation thread but it turns out it's the Discuss The Last Dance as much you want thread - I take it all back

People can't recommend something unless they've seen it. I always come in here assuming there might be a spoiler and if I see one, then it's my own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

If you enjoyed season 1 in any way, its hard to know how you could describe season 2 as ''very poor''.

Because its not funny anymore? Because Ricky's monologues are awful? Because it's gone down the route of sentimental drivel, rather than a great balance of sentiment and humour?

There are a couple of great moments from Jo pilkington but other than that it was painful to watch.

What a weird comment anyway. Plenty of TV shows have good and bad seasons,why can't this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Caranica wrote: »

I really liked Hinterland too, and I'd still highly recommend it. I just wished they'd made Mathias just 5% less dour. I got that he was broken and probably suffering from depression but there could have been some kind of spark, or flicker of something else. Or if not him, one of his team.

Didn't want him cracking jokes and doing cartwheels but he was just relentlessly miserable. Even when
    he had intimate relations :pac: with the barmaid, who incidentally I thought there was going to be a back story to, but wasn't ever really fleshed out, he never changed. Very one note.
    Still well worth a watch. Compare that to Unforgotten which at times is incredibly grim, and Cassie is also unhappy in her private life, they still had time for light hearted moments , and makes for the better series for me.

Spoiler added for the times we live in.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

People can't recommend something unless they've seen it. I always come in here assuming there might be a spoiler and if I see one, then it's my own fault.

It's very easy to recommend something without including spoilers, I've done it multiple times - it's really not that difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

It's very easy to recommend something without including spoilers, I've done it multiple times - it's really not that difficult

I’d say just get over it at this stage and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Whilst I have no interest in Save the Last Dance, I would however be fairly annoyed if I read spoilers on here about something I did want to watch.

It is just a recommendations thread after all.

munster87 wrote: »
    I’d say just get over it at this stage and move on.

I think I'm gonna have to, there's that saying about arguing with idiots and I feel myself dropping to their level because they just don't get it (or maybe they don't want to)

It ends here

Just watched Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall - I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable film due to the content but it is a very good film. Not normally a fan of Jackman as an actor but he surprised me in this one, Gyllenhall of course never fails to impress and nails it

Anyone watched The Cyntoia Brown story?
    Thinking about giving it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,667 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I watched Into The Night last night - 6 40-minute episodes so got through it in one sitting.
    I found it good. I liked the post apocalyptic aspect of it.
    I'd say though that for me it was more about the characters than the whole adrenaline rush of running against the clock/sun, which wasn't extremely tight.

The way it finished suggests there will be a second season, and I would definitely watch it.
    I devoured it in one go.
    It's objectively not great imo the acting is variable and the dialogue is odd... but I am a sucker for these kind of shows...I would definitely watch another season

• Registered Users Posts: 32,667 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall - I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable film due to the content but it is a very good film. Not normally a fan of Jackman as an actor but he surprised me in this one, Gyllenhall of course never fails to impress and nails it
    Oh it's a cracking watch, Paul dano very good in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Early Denis Villeneuve film; it's pretty intense. Solid acting throughout.

Advertisement