Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Watched "In the Tall Grass" as well. The last half hour of the movie is a complete car crash. It's like they didn't know how to finish it.

As Fysh mentioned a few pages back, there is a movie called "Triangle" that is not too dissimilar, but it manages to did it so much better & it actually makes sense. Was up on Netflix for a good while, but unfortunately was removed in December last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Really enjoyed Wounds, a slow burning psychological horror with Armie Hammer and Dakota Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

An Affair to Die For
    When a mysterious figure blackmails an adulterous couple during a romantic getaway, their secret affair turns into a fight for survival.

Jenny Slate: Stage Fright
    Jenny Slate's first stand-up special is a mix of stage time, funny stories about adulthood and conversations with family in her childhood home.

Overdrive
    Two roguish brothers' penchant for stealing vintage sports cars gets them tangled in the animosity between two French mafia rivals.

Replicas (Keanu Reeves)
    After losing his family in a tragic accident, a neuroscientist tries to bring them back in a cloning experiment that attracts controversy and chaos.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The Laundromat was terrible

Living with yourself i got to the 5th episdode just middling as someone said i didnt even care how it ends think i would have given up sooner if not for being a fan of rudd. wasn't really a comedy cant really remember laughing all that much and not a drama either

been thinking about getting rid for a while then coming back with some better original stuff

Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner season 1
    Chef David Chang takes his insatiable curiosity about food, culture and identity on the road, in the convivial company of fun-loving celebrity guests.

Dancing with the Birds
    From ruffling their majestic feathers to nailing im-peck-able courtship routines, birds in paradise flaunt their best moves in hopes of landing a mate.

added

• Advertisement

Some November additions of note

Friday 1st November
    The King Timothée Chalamet stars as reluctant sovereign Henry V

American Son Drama based on an acclaimed Broadway play, in which Kerry Washington stars as the mother of a missing teen attempting to put the pieces together

Fire In Paradise Documentary about the 2018 California wildfire

Atypical season 3 The comedy drama about an autistic teenager returns

Hache Spanish gangster drama series abut a prostitute who climbs to the top of the mob in Barcelona

Holiday In The Wild A divorcée (Sex and the City’s Kristin Davis) embarks on a safari in Zambia and rediscovers herself while working at a local elephant sanctuary

Queer Eye: We’re In Japan The Fab Five head to Asia for a four-part special

Bad Boys Will Smith and Martin Lawrence star as two renegade cops

Enter The Dragon Bruce Lee’s magnum opus

Wedding Crashers Vince Vaughan and Owen Wilson star as two single men who decide to show up at strangers’ weddings to hit on women

November 2nd
    Spinning Man (2018)
    Vox Lux (2018)

Sunday 3rd November
    A Bad Mom’s Christmas Terrible mothers and okay jokes feature in this so-so sequel

Tuesday 5th November
    Colette Biopic about the titular French novelist, played by Keira Knightley
    She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Season 4

Friday 8th November
    Let It Snow Kiernan Shipka and Shameik Moore lead this teen Christmas comedy set during a snowstorm in a small town on Christmas Eve
    Busted!: Season 2
    Green Eggs and Ham: Season 1
    Let It Snow

November 12th, 2019:
    Harvey Girls Forever: Season 3
    Jeff Garlin: Our Man in Chicago (2019)

Friday 15th November
    Klaus A fresh animated take on Santa Claus’s origins from the writer/director of Despicable Me. Voice talent includes Rashida Jones, Jason Schwartzman and JK Simmons

I Lost My Body Acclaimed French animation about a man who’s severed hand goes on a mission to find its body again

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle A modern update of the Robin Williams classic, starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson

Earthquake Bird (2019)
    El club: Season 1
    GO! The Unforgettable Party
    House Arrest (2019)
    Klaus (2019)
    Llama Llama: Season 2
    The Stranded: Season 1
    The Toys That Made Us (Season 3)

Sunday 17th November
    The Crown season 3 A whole new cast, a whole new era, but we expect the same quality from Peter Morgan’s majestic royal drama as we march towards the 1970s.

November 19th, 2019:
    Lliza Shlesinger: Unveiled (2019)

Thursday 21st November
    The Knight before Christmas Following last year’s The Princess Switch, Vanessa Hudgens returns to Netflix with in this equally absurd holiday romance involving a time-travelling Medieval knight

Friday 22nd November
    Dolly Parton’s Heartstrings An anthology series based on the country legend’s songs, featuring new and classic music
    High Seas: Season 2
    Nailed It: Season 2

November 26th
    Super Monsters Save Christmas
    True: Winter Wishes

Wednesday 27th November
    The Irishman A slow-burning gangster epic from Martin Scorsese, featuring three excellent performances from masters of the genre Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci
    The Dragon Prince: Season 3

November 28th, 2019:
    Holiday Rush (2019)
    Merry Happy Whatever: Season 1

Friday 29th November
    Sugar Rush Christmas A special festive edition of the cooking show

Saturday 30th November
    All the Money in the World The movie about the Getty kidnapping that formerly starred Kevin Spacey, until Christopher Plummer was digitally inserted at the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Couple of episodes into Raising Dion. So far, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

peteeeed wrote: »
    Some November additions of note Friday 1st November

Hache Spanish gangster drama series abut a prostitute who climbs to the top of the mob in Barcelona
    No reviews on RT or IMDb, but latter does add:
    Inspired by real events, Hache is the story of Helena, a woman catapulted to the heroin trafficking business in the Barcelona of the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Woo! New She-Ra.

Wonder if they plan on something as good as The Christmas Chronicles this year

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Oooh I love The Christmas Chronicles!

Started Roanoke, AHS. I'd given up on it but after recommendations here I said I'd give it a go. Jury's out but I've only seen episode 1 so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Woo! New She-Ra.

No kidding it's one of my favourite things on Netflix, ever :D
    Wonder if they plan on something as good as The Christmas Chronicles this year

Klaus looks like the best of their Christmas offerings this year, so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not even sure what about She-Ra makes it so good. I just know it gets released and after a couple hours over the weekend, I'm wondering when the next episodes are coming.

Nope, wait! Entrapta. Entrapta's the answer. And Scorpia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not even sure what about She-Ra makes it so good. I just know it gets released and after a couple hours over the weekend, I'm wondering when the next episodes are coming.

Nope, wait! Entrapta. Entrapta's the answer. And Scorpia.

I love all of it, tbh. It's extremely wholesome and sweet and yet goes to dark places at times and has one of the best friends to enemies hero/villain arcs of anything I've seen in recent memory, and it's also hilariously funny in places. The animation is really great too, I loved the episodes that were like a Western last season and the completely different style used when Hordark was explaining his backstory.

Arctic (2018 Mads Mikkelsen)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/arctic-mads-mikkelsen-is-scruffy-unshowy-and-precise-1.3885167
    Stranded in an Arctic wasteland after his plane crashes, a pilot must risk everything to help another gravely injured survivor reach safety in time.

Daybreak season 1
    Living his best life in post-apocalyptic LA, a slacker strives to find the girl of his dreams while outwitting mindless ghouls and cliquish gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Finally managed to finish Unbelievable
    What a chore /bore
    Like the lead detectives monotone voice

BoJack Horseman: Season 6

Brotherhood (Irmandade): Season 1
    An honest lawyer reaches a moral crossroads after the cops force her to inform on her incarcerated brother, the leader of a rising criminal faction.

Dolemite Is My Name (Eddie Murphy)
    In 1970s LA, struggling comedian Rudy Ray Moore hits it big with his raunchy alter ego, Dolemite, then risks it all to take his act to the big screen.

Drug Squad: Costa del Sol: Season 1
    Four intrepid and impulsive police officers form a special narcotics unit to combat the birth of drug trafficking on Spain's Costa del Sol in the 1970s

Greenhouse Academy: Season 3

Monzón: A Knockout Blow: Season 1

My Next Guest with David Letterman and Shah Rukh Khan
    "King of Bollywood" Shah Rukh Khan opens up about his rise to fame, his family and his billions of fans as he and Dave meet up in Mumbai and New York

Nailed It! France: Season 1
    On this fun and funny competition show, home bakers talented in catastrophe struggle to re-create dessert masterpieces and win a 5,000 euro prize

Nailed It! Spain: Season 1
    On this competition show, novice bakers try to avoid a fiasco while duplicating stunning sweets. At stake are a trophy and 5,000 euros.

Prank Encounters: Season 1
    Monstrous frights meet hilarious reveals on this hidden-camera prank show as real people become the stars of their own full-blown horror movie.

It Takes a Lunatic
    The extraordinary life of beloved acting teacher and theatre producer Wynn Handman is recalled in this portrait of a provocative, innovative artist.

Rattlesnake
    After a mysterious woman saves her daughter from a deadly snakebite, a single mother must repay the debt by killing a stranger before sundown.

The Awakening of Motti Wolkenbruch
    Pressured to marry a nice Orthodox Jewish woman, Motti is thrown for a loop when he falls for classmate Laura, who his mother will never approve of

The Kominsky Method: Season 2 ( wonderful)
    Acting coach Sandy Kominsky and best friend Norman Newlander keep each other laughing as they navigate the ups and downs of getting older.

Added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Dolemite Is My Name (Eddie Murphy)
    In 1970s LA, struggling comedian Rudy Ray Moore hits it big with his raunchy alter ego, Dolemite, then risks it all to take his act to the big screen.

The trailer for this actually looks really good and I see it's got great reviews going by Rotten Tomatoes. Also some of the actual Dolemite movies themselves are up to stream on Prime now (possibly UK only), they look truly awful but also hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,970 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

BoJack Horseman: Season 6

Final season, BBC were glowing in their praise!
    how-bojack-horseman-became-the-21st-centurys-best-animation

The first few series were absolutely brilliant, although I felt the 5th lost its way

Final season, BBC were glowing in their praise!
    how-bojack-horseman-became-the-21st-centurys-best-animation

The first few series were absolutely brilliant, although I felt the 5th lost its way

I think this is my next binge, not seen it
    After the kominsky method season 2 of course

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Arctic (2018 Mads Mikkelsen)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/arctic-mads-mikkelsen-is-scruffy-unshowy-and-precise-1.3885167
    Stranded in an Arctic wasteland after his plane crashes, a pilot must risk everything to help another gravely injured survivor reach safety in time.

Watched that last night, was very good. Reminded me a lot of All is Lost. can't beat a good survival film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Arctic with Mads Mikkelsen was very good.

I watched the romcom 'Always be my maybe' last night staring Ali Wong. Some very funny scenes. Recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started watching Daybreak yesterday.. fun in a harmless, quite cliched way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Watched that last night, was very good. Reminded me a lot of All is Lost. can't beat a good survival film.

I liked it too. Love survival films. Can you recommend any others on Netflix?

Knine wrote: »
    I liked it too. Love survival films. Can you recommend any others on Netflix?

Have you watched the one I mention in my post? All is Lost. Well worth a look and I'm pretty sure it's still on there. I've heard The Impossible is meant to be quite good too though I've never watched it myself.

Not sure what others are on there if any. The 12th Man is another that springs to mind but that's more a war film than a straight up survival film.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

bojackhed.png

forgot this was due for release !! fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have you watched the one I mention in my post? All is Lost. Well worth a look and I'm pretty sure it's still on there. I've heard The Impossible is meant to be quite good too though I've never watched it myself.

Not sure what others are on there if any. The 12th Man is another that springs to mind but that's more a war film than a straight up survival film.

The Revenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

The trailer for this actually looks really good and I see it's got great reviews going by Rotten Tomatoes. Also some of the actual Dolemite movies themselves are up to stream on Prime now (possibly UK only), they look truly awful but also hilarious.

This is great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭castle_lover

km79 wrote: »
    Finally managed to finish Unbelievable
    What a chore /bore
    Like the lead detectives monotone voice

Same, wasn’t great, was waiting for this amazing finish and it was blah!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Seen all these except The Impossible. Seen the Revenant too. I love Survival Films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

God fracture was a load of ****e

Advertisement