Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

hannahgadsby_10.jpg

Hannah Gadsby, Nanette IMDb: 8.4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I've watched the first 3 episodes of Caliphate. It's pretty good. It draws you in quite well into the recruitment process involved in the radicalisation of young Muslims, and gives a convincing portrayal of both a European scenario of recruitment and its promises, and a Daesh reality in Raqqa, Syria.
    First episode is a little confusing (in terms of settings), but sets the scene and the stakes really quickly. Pretty impressive in terms of storytelling and investment in the main characters so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Synode wrote: »
    That's complete nonsense. I'm in the same boat re knowing much about him but there's been zero spoilers.
    To be fair the whole series focuses heavily on the last season and whether or not they go on to win the title that year. A few posts further up someone says what the outcome of that season is.

So if you know nothing about the results and are watching that while not knowing if they won that year or not then you just got spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Forgot to say watched Big Stan a few weeks ago. Rob Schneider plays a con who gets sententenced to prison. Before he is committed he gets trained in martial arts by David Caradine of Kill Bill and Kung Fu fame. Really enjoyed it and very funny. Definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Just prefacing this that I am talking about spoilers in general, not specifically about that Michael Jordan documentary, true life documentaries and biographies are a bit different as the stories can be well known anyway.
    I get immensely frustrated with modern spoilerphobia, tbh. I think it fundamentally devalues the best part of storytelling. What’s far more important than ‘what’ happens is ‘how’ it’s told. It’s why we can rewatch favourite films where we know the ending, or why WW2 stories have such lasting appeal even though we all know - spoilers! - the Allies won.

I think it's very reductive to separate "what" happens in storytelling, with "how" that "what" is told. They are inherently connected, the creator expects you to experience both simultaneously. It undermines the whole thing if some part is ruined, especially twists or reveals, as the whole story up to twists and reveal is usually encouraging you to guess what they were.

We can rewatch our favourite movies because of the added nostaligia of having watched them in the first place, because of memories returning of the bits we forgot and because of noticing new things we missed before.
    We may know the Allies won in WW2, but that doesn't mean we already know if the specific characters in any given WW2 movie will survive, or how they survived. We may know if they will survive (if the movie is based on real people) but we will almost certainly have never seen it before. Being shown the ending of a movie in it's entirety first, and then sitting through the whole movie is a totally different experience to just watching the movie start to finish, which is the experience intended by it's creator.

And isn't your argument reversed when it comes to videogames? It doesn't matter how well the story is told in videogames if the story is just grizzled white guy = good, brown people = bad. It doesn't matter how well the story is told - how good the graphics are, the motion capture, the facial animations, dialogue or even composition of the scenes - if the gameplay isn't good. The best videogames try to have the full package - a good story, engaging to play and told well in a visually pleasing way (good graphics and/or visual style).

A good videogame that has a dull story or dull visuals is good despite lacking those parts. Likewise, a good movie that has a dull story (but is beautifully filmed/acted) or dull visuals (but a compelling story) can only be good despite lacking those parts too. Spoilering a plot point effects the intended movie-going experience.
    I know there is a notion in Hollywood that people might actually like being spoilered, I remembered articles about surveys in the US supporting that and it certainly seems to be a driving force in how trailers for movies these days seeming to give away every important plot point. But if that was true then I don't think that the last few MCU trailers would have paid the expense to alter scenes in the trailers to hide plot points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Rogue Warfare
    An elite international squad of uniquely skilled special forces is assembled to combat a rising underground terrorist threat in the Middle East

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

3 identical strangers is well worth a watch
    Crazy story . And not what I was expecting after the first half hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I thought Caliphate was excellent - flew through it in 2 days.

Like most others, I also devoured Into the Night in a single sitting. Although it's only around 3 hours in total. Hugely enjoyable nonsense
    I've watched the first 3 episodes of Caliphate. It's pretty good. It draws you in quite well into the recruitment process involved in the radicalisation of young Muslims, and gives a convincing portrayal of both a European scenario of recruitment and its promises, and a Daesh reality in Raqqa, Syria.
    First episode is a little confusing (in terms of settings), but sets the scene and the stakes really quickly. Pretty impressive in terms of storytelling and investment in the main characters so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Whilst I have no interest in Save the Last Dance, I would however be fairly annoyed if I read spoilers on here about something I did want to watch.

It is just a recommendations thread after all.

Spoiler Alert: She gets into Juliard. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,665 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I see a new South Korean film has been added called Time to hunt I wonder if anyone has watched? Reviews seem decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Haha lol.

I had to Google that:) Two very different shows I would imagine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

For the person who was asking about Korean stuff, I saw this earlier...https://amp.thenational.ae/arts-culture/television/the-12-best-korean-films-and-series-on-netflix-from-the-host-to-kingdom-1.1016867

Not sure how many of them are on Irish Netflix but some titles for ya anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I loved that film!!! Definitely much more my type of thing than the Jordan stuff.

Finished Hinterland today, it was annoying me again by the end, dragging out the story that neatly tied up almost all of the loose ends. Might try to finish New Blood next, got annoyed with that for being formulaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Binged season 2 of Dead to Me. Not as good as season 1 I thought, but entertaining nonsense all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind is a worth a watch. 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

joeguevara wrote: »
    Forgot to say watched Big Stan a few weeks ago. Rob Schneider plays a con who gets sententenced to prison. Before he is committed he gets trained in martial arts by David Caradine of Kill Bill and Kung Fu fame. Really enjoyed it and very funny. Definitely worth a watch.

Ya that’s a very funny film. He’s made some great comedies rob Schneider.

The hot chick and animal are very funny.

Bordertown season 3 (finnish)
    A gifted detective takes a job in a small town so he can spend more time with his family. But he's soon drawn into a web of disturbing murder cases.

Have a Good Trip: Adventures in Psychedelics
    Explore hallucinogenic highs and lows as celebrities share funny, mind-blowing tales via animations, reenactments and more in this documentary.

Trial By Media season 1
    In this true crime docuseries, some of the most dramatic trials of all time are examined with an emphasis on how the media may have impacted verdicts

The last dance ep 7&8

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭budgemook

How many Last Dance episodes are there going to be?

Spoiler tags in answers please.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

budgemook wrote: »
    How many Last Dance episodes are there going to be?

Spoiler tags in answers please.

The same number of championships they win in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I’m going to miss the last dance.
    Having to wait to see episodes definitely adds to appreciation of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just watched Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhall - I wouldn't say it was an enjoyable film due to the content but it is a very good film. Not normally a fan of Jackman as an actor but he surprised me in this one, Gyllenhall of course never fails to impress and nails it

Great film but here's something I noticed and it totally threw me,

The absolute size of Jackman in it ( it was filmed while he bulked up for Wolverine ) , If you notice in every scene they have him in a large lose fitting jacket or a t-shirt under an open shirt simple to hide how JACKED he was ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Started to properly watch Community, Chevy Chase makes it a bit of a struggle. What an awful man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

gmisk wrote: »
    I see a new South Korean film has been added called Time to hunt I wonder if anyone has watched? Reviews seem decent

Saw it....enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Great film but here's something I noticed and it totally threw me,

The absolute size of Jackman in it ( it was filmed while he bulked up for Wolverine ) , If you notice in every scene they have him in a large lose fitting jacket or a t-shirt under an open shirt simple to hide how JACKED he was ,

Didn't think at this point in my life I would say, but that's one of the gayest things I've ever read. Capitalising 'JACKED' making it extra gay. No offence to the gay community, but that was a gay enough comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Didn't think at this point in my life I would say, but that's one of the gayest things I've ever read. Capitalising 'JACKED' making it extra gay. No offence to the gay community, but that was a gay enough comment.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I always thought jacked referred to steroid use. Like baseball players or stewie in family guy, excessive use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Started to properly watch Community, Chevy Chase makes it a bit of a struggle. What an awful man

rewatching this atm also (i'm up to middle of season 3), and it is definitely one of the best comedies around. Loved it the first time round and it's still as good on a rewatch.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend
    It's an interactive Kimmy special! Kimmy's getting married, but first she has to foil the Reverend's evil plot. It's your move: What should she do next

True: Terrific Tales
    Through the magic of the Story Spinner, True and her friends create their own versions of Pinocchio, Little Red Riding Hood and other classic tales.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

rewatching this atm also (i'm up to middle of season 3), and it is definitely one of the best comedies around. Loved it the first time round and it's still as good on a rewatch.

Community is good, wouldn't say it's one of the best around now - it's a shame they couldn't sustain the quality but Dan Harmon being fired after Season 3 and then being rehired for season 5 had a lot to do with its loss of momentum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I used JACKED because hes Hugh Jackman, It was a joke hence why I put it in capitals :D

Advertisement