Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I used JACKED because hes Hugh Jackman, It was a joke hence why I put it in capitals :D

Too subtle.

I'd imagine you're really jacked off now!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Too subtle.

Jacked off means something else :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Higgins5473's head just exploded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Higgins5473's head just exploded

Higgins5473's head exploded after watching 3 episodes of Into the Night. Greatest load of sh*te I have seen.

That said, what's great is reading the American reviews on IMDB, "like so, i mean like, how did a bunch of people in europe just get on a plane and they all like speak different languages...major PLOT HOLE dude"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Higgins5473's head exploded after watching 3 episodes of Into the Night. Greatest load of sh*te I have seen.

That said, what's great is reading the American reviews on IMDB, "like so, i mean like, how did a bunch of people in europe just get on a plane and they all like speak different languages...major PLOT HOLE dude"

Were any of the fellas in it hot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

You've only 3 episodes to go, you may stick with it :)

tigger123 wrote: »
    Were any of the fellas in it hot?

Italian guy looked JACKED. by episode 3 his abs were popping out of his shirt, apparently he was doing 5000 sit ups a day between episodes.

Is this a spoiler?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Italian guy looked JACKED. by episode 3 his abs were popping out of his shirt, apparently he was doing 5000 sit ups a day between episodes.

Is this a spoiler?

Total cum-gutters.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

km79 wrote: »
    3 identical strangers is well worth a watch
    Crazy story . And not what I was expecting after the first half hour or so

An excellent watch. And call me a grumpy old so and so but there is so much to be said for a good 90 minute documentary. Not everything needs to be dragged out to a 6-12 episode series.

Similar one like that which I came across because a few recommendations in here was Last Breath. Top class

Good lord, that Mark Wahlberg "Four Brothers" is some steaming pile of sh*te. I can't see it even being good back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

peteeeed wrote: »
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Kimmy vs. the Reverend
    It's an interactive Kimmy special! Kimmy's getting married, but first she has to foil the Reverend's evil plot. It's your move: What should she do next
    Really enjoyed this. They worked in the multiple choices very well too, including some fun branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Fire in the Blood
    Dylan Mohan Gray examines Africa's AIDS crisis and activists' battle with pharmaceutical companies to make life-saving HIV drugs more affordable.

The Wrong Missy(adam sandler produced)
    Tim thinks he's invited the woman of his dreams on a work retreat to Hawaii, realizing too late he mistakenly texted someone from a nightmare blind date.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Keeping Up with the Kardashians is coming to netflix from June 1st (not a recommendation from me but what the hey )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

rewatching this atm also (i'm up to middle of season 3), and it is definitely one of the best comedies around. Loved it the first time round and it's still as good on a rewatch.

I do think it goes pretty downhill for season 5 and 6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I do think it goes pretty downhill for season 5 and 6

Season 5 of Community has some absolute gems though, the first half with Troy is great and even after he goes I the episode with the Meow Meow Beanz app. I think my ranking would probably be 2, 1, 3, 5, 6, and then 4, but 1, 3, and 5 are all very close.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Was half enjoying Into The Night for the first 3 episodes, in a so bad it's good sort of way. The last three are simply awful though. Avoid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Season 5 of Community has some absolute gems though, the first half with Troy is great and even after he goes I the episode with the Meow Meow Beanz app. I think my ranking would probably be 2, 1, 3, 5, 6, and then 4, but 1, 3, and 5 are all very close.

The first season, when you watch it for the second time, is better than the third season, and the fourth season, when you watch it for the fifth time is equal to the second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

So is community good or bad?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

km79 wrote: »
    So is community good or bad?

Good: Seasons 1, 2, 3 are good-great; Season 4 bad-good; Season 5 meh-good; Season 6 atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I find a lot of sitcoms tail off as the seasons go on, it's an enjoyable show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

pixelburp wrote: »
    Good: Seasons 1, 2, 3 are good-great; Season 4 bad-good; Season 5 meh-good; Season 6 atrocious.
    I would say 4 is worse than 6, but opinions will differ.

In any case, it's definitely worth starting the show. If it's for you, there's plenty of good stuff over the whole thing, and if you find yourself struggling with some of the later seasons, you could always pick and choose using imdb ratings or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I really liked Community. I watched it twice. The last season was patchy but the virtual reality operating system was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I find a lot of sitcoms tail off as the seasons go on, it's an enjoyable show

It's extremely rare for a sitcom to end for any other reason than being cancelled, it's kinda just accepted that they all get bad towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,738 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Any recommendations for a good thriller on Netflix , not one of the obvious Hollywood ones,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭pavb2

Any recommendations for a good thriller on Netflix , not one of the obvious Hollywood ones,
    I watched Prisoners the other night thought it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭SummerK

Watched Belgian series 'In to the night' the other day, its a good one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's extremely rare for a sitcom to end for any other reason than being cancelled, it's kinda just accepted that they all get bad towards the end.

The problem with sit-coms is the "sit" is usually a limited premise. Most of them should probably only be 3 or 4 seasons, and not 20ish episodes per season. It's why a lot of British ones are viewed as classics and are usually quite re-watchable, even years after airing. There's that joke from The Good Place (another one that knew when to stop)where Tahani talks about a British show that ran on BBC for 20 years, they did 16 episodes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, the inherent contradiction about sitcoms is their premises are almost always inflexibly static - but then are expected to run for 10 seasons and stay fresh. The Simpsons of course is arguably the standard bearer of that inherent flaw of a never-changing world; Bart should be a middle-aged man by now yet the show persists, trapped in a narrative snapshot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The problem with sit-coms is the "sit" is usually a limited premise. Most of them should probably only be 3 or 4 seasons, and not 20ish episodes per season. It's why a lot of British ones are viewed as classics and are usually quite re-watchable, even years after airing. There's that joke from The Good Place (another one that knew when to stop)where Tahani talks about a British show that ran on BBC for 20 years, they did 16 episodes.

Was actually gonna cite The Good Place as an example of one that knew when to end, even when compared to other Mike Schur shows like Parks and Rec and Brooklyn 99 (which is still pretty good and ongoing but has put out nearly 150 episodes with an 8th season on the way and no end in sight).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Was actually gonna cite The Good Place as an example of one that knew when to end, even when compared to other Mike Schur shows like Parks and Rec and Brooklyn 99 (which is still pretty good and ongoing but has put out nearly 150 episodes with an 8th season on the way and no end in sight).

Brooklyn 99 probably works because it was always more about the characters than the situation. Sure the police setting drives the plot of individual episodes, but it's always the characters that drive the comedy and the show as a whole.
    Look at something like The Big Bang theory, which, for me anyway, was always driven by the idea that these 4 nerds were the butt of the joke, and most of the "comedy" arises from them being forced to interact with someone outside their nerdy comfort zone... that's a premise that got old very quickly.

Advertisement