Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭pavb2

The problem with sit-coms is the "sit" is usually a limited premise. Most of them should probably only be 3 or 4 seasons, and not 20ish episodes per season. It's why a lot of British ones are viewed as classics and are usually quite re-watchable, even years after airing. There's that joke from The Good Place (another one that knew when to stop)where Tahani talks about a British show that ran on BBC for 20 years, they did 16 episodes.

Fawlty Towers Is the case in point there were only 12 episodes but it seems like there were so many more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

pavb2 wrote: »
    Fawlty Towers Is the case in point there were only 12 episodes but it seems like there were so many more.

Even Father Ted I always forget that there are only 25 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Only 14 episodes of Mr Bean over 5 years too.. seems like so much more!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Any recommendations for a good thriller on Netflix , not one of the obvious Hollywood ones,

Spanish move The Invisible Guest is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The wrong missy film is hilarious. Happy madison production, nice to see a lot of the actors that star in many Adam Sandler films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

When did Netflix get Modern Family?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭joeguevara

When did Netflix get Modern Family?

About 10 days. Only up to season 7. Hopefully add the next 4 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

joeguevara wrote: »
    About 10 days. Only up to season 7. Hopefully add the next 4 soon.

Seven seasons is plenty. ;) I thought it was never going to happen because of Sky.

How long do Netflix usually hold a show like this for? I’ve started it twice when living in other countries and when I got to the end of season one Netflix lost the streaming rights

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Schitt's Creek 6th and final season
    Suddenly broke, the formerly filthy-rich Rose family is reduced to living in a ramshackle motel in a town they once bought as a joke: Schitt's Creek.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Basq wrote: »
    ^ Only 14 episodes of Mr Bean over 5 years too.. seems like so much more!

Wow, always thought there were loads of Mr. Bean episodes out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I see Snowpiercer, the series, is coming to Netflix soon. Seems it's the same story, but from both sides of the train this time, looks like it has potential.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

peteeeed wrote: »
    Suddenly broke, the formerly filthy-rich Rose family is reduced to living in a ramshackle motel in a town they once bought as a joke: Schitt's Creek.

added

This is definitely a show best described as "a grower". Utterly hated the Schitts at first - which is kind of the point I guess - but came to like their eccentrics ways in time. Will certainly be interested to see where the show sends them off to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

added

This makes me both happy and sad. Happy there's a new series but v sad it's the end. I absolutely love this show! It's hard to pick a favourite character,the whole cast is so strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

This makes me both happy and sad. Happy there's a new series but v sad it's the end. I absolutely love this show! It's hard to pick a favourite character,the whole cast is so strong.

Ah yea agree - be sad to see it end - great series ! Some v cleaver writing especially with Maura - so witty ! Not sure if I am the only one but Stevie started to annoy me but agree everyone else is just so good !

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've never been able to get into Schitt's Creek. I've watched a bit of the first series but it's just never clicked for me. Moira, Alexis and David are fine, but the dad, and especially Roland just drain any interest I have in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,659 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

added
    Love this show it's such a nice easy watch.
    Catherine O Hara is brilliant in it.
    I await the "a little bit Alexa" spin off....lol

I've never been able to get into Schitt's Creek. I've watched a bit of the first series but it's just never clicked for me. Moira, Alexis and David are fine, but the dad, and especially Roland just drain any interest I have in it.
    I think this is one of those shows that picks up in quality a lot after season 1 (a bit like parks and rec)

Hurrache wrote: »
    I see Snowpiercer, the series, is coming to Netflix soon. Seems it's the same story, but from both sides of the train this time, looks like it has potential.
    I think it is set earlier than the film.
    There is a whole timeline with books etc will see if I can dig it out.

This article covers it in detail. Set 8 years before film.
    https://www.slashfilm.com/snowpiercer-timeline/

It has been long delayed and had multiple people involved so I would be a bit weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Cheers. When I watched the trailer I was wondering what the timeline was relative to the movie, I didn't want to Google too much as I usually hit spoilers in the most unexpected of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

gmisk wrote: »
    I think this is one of those shows that picks up in quality a lot after season 1 (a bit like parks and rec)

I never got into it either; lasted about 5 episodes, but looking at the RT reviews, I think I'll pick it up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'd recommend Schitt's Creek to anyone and everyone. The characters are dislikeable at the start but that's the point - it's watching them adapt to their new lives and becoming better people that makes it so charming. And it's very funny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I never got into it either; lasted about 5 episodes, but looking at the RT reviews, I think I'll pick it up again.

I was the same. Watched the first 5 or 6 episodes when it intially came out. Lost all interest in it. My brother said he loved it so gave it another lash and was able to rattle off 5 seasons in a few weeks. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd recommend Schitt's Creek to anyone and everyone. The characters are dislikeable at the start but that's the point - it's watching them adapt to their new lives and becoming better people that makes it so charming. And it's very funny as well.

I’m on episode 11 of last series.... turned it off so I can watch it tomorrow..... I love it so much. It just gets better n better...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Same here, gave up on S Creek after 3 or 4 episodes. The wife is deliriously happy to have the next season available, she rants about how good it is. If I run out of something to watch I might get back to it.

Only started watching Bordertown last night, looks pretty watchable.

It's worth it for the little bit alexis audition alone!
    The Moira rose character is absolutely genius....even just the way she says baby! Lol
    Trying hard not to devour the last season :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

It's worth it for the little bit alexis audition alone!
    The Moira rose character is absolutely genius....even just the way she says baby! Lol

Moira Rose is my favourite character ever! The writing for Schitts Creek is sublime and so clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

munster87 wrote: »
    I’d say just get over it at this stage and move on.
    fin12 wrote: »
    The wrong missy film is hilarious. Happy madison production, nice to see a lot of the actors that star in many Adam Sandler films.

Yeah this was funny, girl in it nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I was slow to warm to it, but now I absolutely love it.
    Moira Rose is my idol. Her vocabulary and wardrobe are just the best ever.

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    I was slow to warm to it, but now I absolutely love it.
    Moira Rose is my idol. Her vocabulary and wardrobe are just the best ever.
    Her wardrobe and range of wigs with names lol

Did you put Kristen with Robin?
    They don't like each other!

It's mad to think she had to be convinced to take the part

Advertisement