Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

There's an awful lot of backtracking and withdrawing going on! It's very civilised, you must all be new to the internet :p

Sorry I’m very tired and was not thinking about my behaviour.

Allow me to apologise by saying “**** you all”

:p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

There's an awful lot of backtracking and withdrawing going on! It's very civilised, you must all be new to the internet :p

This thread has been weird the last few weeks. First it was the Michael Jordon spoiler wars, now it's flipped completely and it's apology wars. Strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched Extra Ordinary last night, it's very funny. Maeve Higgins acting isn't great and the last 15/20 minutes are ridiculous but it's a grand way to while away 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

peteeeed wrote: »
    The American (2010) G Clooney
    I quite like that. It's slow-paced, but it kept me engaged. Clooney plays a gunman hiding out in a remote and pretty Italian town, and starting to weary of his lonely lifestyle. It wears its inspiration from westerns on its sleeve, even playing Once Upon a Time in the West on a background TV at one point. He befriends a prostitute and a priest. There are a few violent scenes, but they're more garnish than the point. It's directed by Corbijn, probably more famous for Control. The dialogue is sparse, and the photography is lovely.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Watched Extra Ordinary last night, it's very funny. Maeve Higgins acting isn't great and the last 15/20 minutes are ridiculous but it's a grand way to while away 90 minutes.

Watched this myself the other day. There were a couple of jokes in the opening sequence that had me in stitches but the rest of it never quite lived up to the opening. Still, as you say, not a bad way to kill 90 minutes

• Advertisement

This thread has been weird the last few weeks. First it was the Michael Jordon spoiler wars, now it's flipped completely and it's apology wars. Strange times.

I’m guessing you are referring to a show or documentary about the famous basketball player and not series that follows my cousin around in his day to day life?

Also If a couple of apologies are that big a deal what kind of people are you interacting with here.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Wrong Missy just got slated on Moncrieff. Will probably still give it a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Synode wrote: »
    The Wrong Missy just got slated on Moncrieff. Will probably still give it a watch

Clint on radio Nova gave it 3.5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I will not be watching The Wrong Missy because I refuse point blank to watch anything with David Spade in it

I will not be watching The Wrong Missy because I refuse point blank to watch anything with David Spade in it

I didn’t know some people needed to make a conscious decision about such a thing.

Thought it was instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Oblivion
    The soloist
    The interpreter
    Indside man
    Elizabeth the Golden age
    Closes circuit
    Added as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Watched The Wrong Missy tonight, it won't win any awards but it passed 90 minutes and I didn't turn it off which has happened to previous Netflix movies. It's grand, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Hollywood. A new drama series depicting the gay (and sometimes straight) casting couch culture in Hollywood before the MeToo movement. Also depicts the problems ethnic minorities had getting acting roles in the Hollywood of old. Depicts historical figures like Henry Wilson and Rock Hudson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I'm watching Mad Men again before it disappears from Netflix and the subtitles are on to clear up stuff I missed before. What exquisite acting and writing. Why do I identify so much with the wretched Pete Campbell? Back in those days, a relative of mine bought an E-type Jaguar he could certainly not afford and was always complaining how unreliable it was - thus I had to laugh when Lane tried to kill himself in such a vehicle and the bloody thing wouldn't start. One mystery solved this time: Peggy Olson explains in a phone call that while her father was Norwegian and Lutheran, her mother was Irish and Catholic, hence a Norwegian Catholic. Her snobby Swedish roomie says they won't mention the fact that she's Norwegian, a little bit of Scandinavian animosity there. So many wonderful details.

I have a few minor quibbles about, say, the peculiarly generic French from France and not very Montreal accents of the Calvets, esp. the mother. Even Jessica Paré, the native Montrealer who plays Don's second wife Megan (Megan?), doesn't sound local. Montreal is not far from New York - these are odd artistic decisions to make. Did Weiner unconsciously choose the name Calvet, very rare in Quebec, because of his own state Maryland's founder Calvert? Some of the British stuff is strange too. I can forgive Lane for talking American but not his chums in London, and who in Britain could afford to buy an American ad agency in the early Sixties? They barely had enough to keep the heat on.

Anyway, Mad Men is a magnificent achievement, up there with the Sopranos, the Wire and Breaking Bad for me. Ozark showed the same ambition. I'm basically looking for a solid fifty or so hour movie about 'real life', more or less. Zombies etc. need not apply. So if you spot anything near that on Netflix, please give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Interesting ^^

You're not the first to notice this error - https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a21720/mad-men-french-canadians/

Is it leaving Netflix?? And yes, it's an all time classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Heckler

I was on the fence for the first few episodes of Schitts Creek but stuck with it and glad I did. One of the best series I've seen in a while. Very touching without being schmaltzy. Anytime it was going to go cheese it was reigned in in by someone.

Fantastic outta 10 Beh Beh!

Hollywood. A new drama series depicting the gay (and sometimes straight) casting couch culture in Hollywood before the MeToo movement. Also depicts the problems ethnic minorities had getting acting roles in the Hollywood of old. Depicts historical figures like Henry Wilson and Rock Hudson.

It has so much potential, and fails miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Best Wishes, Warmest Regards: A Schitt's Creek Farewell
    From unseen footage to the last table read, this documentary takes an inside look at the final season of the acclaimed comedy series "Schitt's Creek."

South Park season 22

Added

Interesting ^^

You're not the first to notice this error - https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a21720/mad-men-french-canadians/

Is it leaving Netflix?? And yes, it's an all time classic!

It's leaving on the 9th of June

Better get started on that so. It's been on my list forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Mad men is my favourite show ever.
    I always go back to it. Will miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I'm watching Mad Men again before it disappears from Netflix.. So many wonderful details.

It's renowned for its attention to detail:
    https://mashable.com/2015/04/19/mad-men-historic-details/?europe=true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The last dance is the best show Netflix have made,episode 7 is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Ragnarok is a Norwegian fantasy series worth watching. It could be a little more serious but decent viewing.

The Photographer of Mauthausen is excellent. Gives a grim view of a photographers account in the Nazi concentration camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ZeeKane

Loved the first season of Dead To Me. Hoping to binge the second season soon, it just dropped a few days ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Ragnarok is a Norwegian fantasy series worth watching. It could be a little more serious but decent viewing.
    I gave up on the third episode; it was a nice idea/angle, but was a little too slow, with teenage angst parts not doing it for me. Environmentalistic moralism a little too on the nose, but its heart is in the right place. With some tightening up, and as you say- making it a little more serious- I think I might have stayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

First look at the new Eurovision movie starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

12 points from Norway/Denmark/Sweden :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The last dance is the best show Netflix have made,episode 7 is amazing.

Probably more ESPN than Netflix really, though it is a joint production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Outer Banks....scutter. Wet hot scutter.

*scooby doo / American pie / ozark / a steaming pile of turd.

Advertisement