Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just turned on Lion!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

anewme wrote: »
    Just turned on Lion!

Very good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

First look at the new Eurovision movie starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams

Will Ferrell is generally brilliant but I don't think I could stomach that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Monos ( 92% of rotten tomatoes)
    Anarchy clashes with adolescence as a squadron of teen guerillas on a remote mountaintop watch over a prisoner amid drills, attacks and misdeeds.

Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj
    Every Sunday, Hasan Minhaj brings an incisive and nuanced perspective to global news, politics and culture in his unique comedy series.

Added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched 30 minutes of The Wrong Missy. Excruciatingly bad. Had to turn it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Will Ferrell is generally brilliant but I don't think I could stomach that.

Will Ferrell associates himself with any old dross that pays. He has been involved in loads of really poor movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Hollywood. A new drama series depicting the gay (and sometimes straight) casting couch culture in Hollywood before the MeToo movement. Also depicts the problems ethnic minorities had getting acting roles in the Hollywood of old. Depicts historical figures like Henry Wilson and Rock Hudson.

The first two episodes are fun, after that it falls of a cliff. The last episode was laughably bad, such a ham-fisted attempt at revisionism.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

peteeeed wrote: »
    Anarchy clashes with adolescence as a squadron of teen guerillas on a remote mountaintop watch over a prisoner amid drills, attacks and misdeeds.

Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj
    Every Sunday, Hasan Minhaj brings an incisive and nuanced perspective to global news, politics and culture in his unique comedy series.

Added
    Monos is one of the best things I saw last year - not the easiest thing to watch given it's about child soldiers, but it is extremely good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

First look at the new Eurovision movie starring Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams
    It made me laugh it was fairly spot on lol.
    Will Ferrells output is seriously inconsistent though....what was his last good film...the Lego movie? And before that...hmmm...the other guys? That was 2010!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Isn't it a bit redundant though? At this stage, we all know - the event org included - that Eurovision is a goofy, camp cheese ball. What's to mock when the "spoof" looks no less absurd than something you could see on stage in reality?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,658 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pixelburp wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit redundant though? At this stage, we all know - the event org included - that Eurovision is a goofy, camp cheese ball. What's to mock when the "spoof" looks no less absurd than something you could see on stage in reality?
    Ah maybe but I will wait for the film.
    I thought the clip was funny, the song was catchy lol

I was a bit shocked at Rachel McAdams voice, turns out it is Molly Sanden lots of links to eurovision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Fysh wrote: »
    Monos is one of the best things I saw last year - not the easiest thing to watch given it's about child soldiers, but it is extremely good

I liked it too, but it's not for everyone. It's a strange movie, somewhere between Aguirre The Wrath of God and Lord of the Flies. If that sounds appealing, it's executed very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I havent seen peaky blinders . Is it really that good? Any other recommendations. Ive watched Ozark, very good

• Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I havent seen peaky blinders . Is it really that good? Any other recommendations. Ive watched Ozark, very good
    People rave around Peaky Blinders..

.. but I've tried to watch it three times and couldn't make it last the first season.

Might just be missing it's appeal..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »

I'll probably still watch it but yeah, it seems like America doesn't really get Eurovision. I follow a few people on Twitter who seem to genuinely love it but they suck all the fun out of it by taking it too seriously. One guy listens to all 41 songs in advance, ranks them all, then sits through both semi finals and the final like it's a sporting event. As you say, how can you parody something that is essentially the most ridiculous thing on earth already.
    I think you could probably do a very funny Eurovision film without it being a piss take. Millions of people genuinely love it, so it'll be interesting to see what angle they have taken with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,029 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is it good timing or bad timing for the film? It was going to release alongside Eurovision but not that's out the window. But I guess now it can act as the Eurovision replacement for the year

Read the title as "Moms" so was a bit confused reading the description, until I checked the title again.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it good timing or bad timing for the film? It was going to release alongside Eurovision but not that's out the window. But I guess now it can act as the Eurovision replacement for the year

It's not out until June though. Eurovision was last night. Seems like questionable timing even if things were normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Ferrell's wife is Swedish and while visiting her family in 2014 he discovered Eurovision and became a fan. He attended the 2018 event and went to last year's one as part of the Swedish delegation so he could see behind the scenes, I assume for this film

I think this will be a celebration of Eurovision rather than a piss take - that being said, I don't think it will be high on my must watch list when it comes out

It's not out until June though. Eurovision was last night. Seems like questionable timing even if things were normal.

According to Wikipedia it was originally scheduled for May. Not sure why it changed to June after Eurovision was cancelled. Maybe they planned on holding it off until the next Eurovision but changed their minds. Though in that case they couldn't really released it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

White lines is pretty good. The actor who plays Boxer is gorgeous.

I'm enjoying S5 of She-Ra. Only watched 4 eps so far but it's certainty burning through plot early on, not dragging out any of the resolutions from S4's ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Fysh wrote: »
    Agreed. Saw it last year too & thought it was a fantastic watch.

Basq wrote: »
    People rave around Peaky Blinders..

.. but I've tried to watch it three times and couldn't make it last the first season.

Might just be missing it's appeal..

Tried with a few people I know a few different times. Never got too far in. Accents all over the place. Reminded of The Simpsons at times. Then later seeing the people who into it it kinda confirmed that I wasn't missing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,406 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

mikhail wrote: »
    I liked it too, but it's not for everyone. It's a strange movie, somewhere between Aguirre The Wrath of God and Lord of the Flies. If that sounds appealing, it's executed very well.

Another +1 for Monos

Very well made movie, excellent acting all round, compelling characters, pacing was spot on, locations were incredible and the depth in the storytelling was off the charts

I watched Parasite A few days ago and as amazing as that was, I think Monos is a better film

The Big Flower Fight Season 1 (Natasia Demetriou & Vic Reeves)
    Ten pairs of florists, sculptors and garden designers face off in a friendly floral fight to see who can build the biggest, boldest garden sculptures.

The last dance the final 2 episodes

added

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Flower off, pottery off, sewing off, bake off, cook off, house decorating off, recycling off. Fcuk off.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Another +1 for Monos

Very well made movie, excellent acting all round, compelling characters, pacing was spot on, locations were incredible and the depth in the storytelling was off the charts

watched it yesterday , really liked it
    the acting was great , lost of the actors this is their only hit on IMDB but i recognized the actor playing 'bigfoot' as an american actor in a lot of stuff . he was great in 'the kings of summer'

cinematography was great too

Flower off, pottery off, sewing off, bake off, cook off, house decorating off, recycling off. Fcuk off.

happy monday ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,872 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Horribly cliched characters aside - am loving 'Into The Night'.. mighty exciting stuff!

Advertisement