Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE signal intermittent.

• 19-09-2019 9:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭

RTE Saorview has gone intermittent for the last few days. I get the signal from 3Rock and there is break up for a few seconds at a time. Outside of those break ups, the signal is 100% and Quality is 00%. his is so for TVs from a fixed aerial and for the one on an internal antenna.

What is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

RTE Saorview has gone intermittent for the last few days. I get the signal from 3Rock and there is break up for a few seconds at a time. Outside of those break ups, the signal is 100% and Quality is 00%. his is so for TVs from a fixed aerial and for the one on an internal antenna.

What is going on?

I'm experiencing the same. Also pointed at 3Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is this for all channels from Three Rock?

The only time I've experienced 100% SS / 0% SQ is when I overloaded a TV's tuner via an amp. Have they upped the signal from Three Rock I wonder?

I see Three Rock is listed as having a max ERP of 125 kW, up from a max ERP of 63 kW, since Sept 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

What is going on?

Same here (Bray) from 3rock and a on a set in work ( City centre), on the ch33 channels, ch30 is fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I get this on a TV using my 'coat hanger' aerial - so no amp, as well as a proper log periodic one that was installed over a decade ago. Also, it is a drop out, not a shutdown and restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

The Cush wrote: »
    ... I see Three Rock is listed as having a max ERP of 125 kW, up from a max ERP of 63 kW, since Sept 4th.

I wonder if it was just a mistake they missed in the document, leaving the ERP listed as 63 kW when they discontinued the 3R/Kippure SFN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

I'm having the same problems with my tv. since the retune, rte 1 and others lose signal or distorted images.

I'm in donegal. is there any way to fix it?

Amadan90 wrote: »
    I'm having the same problems with my tv. since the retune, rte 1 and others lose signal or distorted images.

I'm in donegal. is there any way to fix it?
    Which transmitter are you receiving from?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

I think Truskmore but how would i check for sure?

Amadan90 wrote: »

I think Truskmore but how would i check for sure?
    Check here to see which transmitter is recommended for your location and the frequencies they broadcast on -
    http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index700.php

Check this against what frequencies your TV is tuning in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Check here to see which transmitter is recommended for your location and the frequencies they broadcast on -
    http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index700.php

Check this against what frequencies your TV is tuning in.

My TVs have all been receiving Saorview 3Rock for the last decade (since it started) and it is only in the last few weeks this intermittent loss of signal has been happening. It is happening on three TVs, all of which are Saorview approved, and one has a different aerial. All normally have 100% quality and 98% or more signal.

So what is the explanation?

• Advertisement

... So what is the explanation?

Some kind of regular impulsive interference in or near your house?

Some kind of regular impulsive interference in or near your house?

Like what?

Also other posters on here are saying they experience similar breaks.

It would be like a trip switch at the transmitter drops out and is reset automatically. This would happen if say there was a momentary power outage of some sort. [I am just speculating].

These odd occurrences tend to happen when there are IR problems at RTE. Are there any currently?

... Like what?

Also other posters on here are saying they experience similar breaks.

Every thread of this nature that's posted here, there will be someone else with the 'same' problem.

To narrow down any source of interference, I suppose you'd need to note the time, duration, & interval between the problem occurring, & see if it makes any sense in relation to the functioning of electric switches, motors etc., or say wireless internet devices.

Every thread of this nature that's posted here, there will be someone else with the 'same' problem.

To narrow down any source of interference, I suppose you'd need to note the time, duration, & interval between the problem occurring, & see if it makes any sense in relation to the functioning of electric switches, motors etc., or say wireless internet devices.

Alternatively, I could ask 2RN if they have an explanation. I am not in the business of solving this for them, but if others have a similar problem then it helps to know that.

After a decade of no such problems, why now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Maybe contacted the people running the transmitters....
    If they just get one complaint, they'll probably suspect that it's an antenna problem, but if they get lots, they'll treat it with more urgency. Email addresses here:

https://www.2rn.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭greasepalm

i have an e2 box and viewing 3 rock and seems ok using an indoor aerial.
    Forgot to mention it was 6 months ago i had breakup on rte1 hd due to bad signal from internal attic aerial later found out it was faulty cable that had the issue and got external aerial fitted same day and advised i needed a booster from satworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Could be coincidence but I lost all channels from Clermont Carn on and off, for an evening this week - nothing locking on either old or new frequencies, I just put it down to the weather, later that night all were as normal.

Advertisement