Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iban Wallet

• 19-09-2019 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Anyone heard of Iban wallet? They do demand deposits at 2.5% but it looks too good to be true so I thought I'd ask for opinions on here before signing up and putting any money in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Keep in mind that it is an investment account product rather than a deposit account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

It takes a bit of digging on their website to even find out how they make the returns: asset-backed loan investments. No mention of being regulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

This is a sponsored "review" which says (scroll down on the linked page)...
    Returns and safeguards
    Investment returns always carry a risk. It is possible to lose the whole amount of an investment. It also possible to double or triple the amount of the money initially invested.

https://moneybearclub.com/2019/07/24/investing-iban-wallet/

From their own FAQ...
    Is my money secured?

Yes, while your funds are deposited in an Electronic Money Institution (EMI). All our accounts have risk management policies and offer investor protection.

So it's just like any asset investment fund where some/all of your investment is at risk.

https://www.ibanwallet.com/how-it-works/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you click on the 'About Us' link, all you get is more marketing BS - there is a no mention of the underlying company's history and track record and who owns it. Although they quote a mailing address of 'Level 39, One Canada Sq., Canary Wharf', the only UK landline numer mentioned actually contains the area code (01202) for Bournemouth. Which means their registered office is a mail drop at a prestigious address in London but their office (if it exists at all) is miles away, at an undisclosed address in Bournemouth.

And as already mentioned, they make no mention of being regulated by any central bank. They claim that your money 'is deposited in an Electronic Money Institution (EMI) regulated by the European Central Bank'. Which is complete garbage - the ECB to my knowledge does not regulate individual banks.

The nearest you get to formal regulation is where they tell you that 'Iban Wallet Corporation Ltd. is registered with the Information Commissioner's Office' Which simply means that they comply with data protection legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

I just had a look at their affiliate page. They're paying 5% on what ever your sign up deposits so they are starting to look very suspect to me. I don't think i'll be investing.

• Advertisement

Nexo are paying 8% interest (paid daily) on any amount held in euro or dollars etc with no minimum term, far better than Iban wallet even on their long term minimum deposit accounts.

Nexo are paying 8% interest (paid daily) on any amount held in euro or dollars etc with no minimum term, far better than Iban wallet even on their long term minimum deposit accounts.

What do they claim they're doing with your money in the background? Because nobody can pay that type of intererest on money that's sitting idly in a deposit account, they have to be investing it in property, stocks or various types of risky business. What are they saying about risk?

coylemj wrote: »
    What do they claim they're doing with your money in the background? Because nobody can pay that type of intererest on money that's sitting idly in a deposit account, they have to be investing it in property, stocks or various types of risky business. What are they saying about risk?

They are loaning it out, it’s a crypto currency bank.

They say your money is 100% guaranteed, no capital risk. Now I wouldn’t be trusting it with very signicinat amounts of money either but if a person wanted to I think it’s certainly secure enough for a decent punt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

They are loaning it out, it’s a crypto currency bank.

They say your money is 100% guaranteed, no capital risk. Now I wouldn’t be trusting it with very signicinat amounts of money either but if a person wanted to I think it’s certainly secure enough for a decent punt.

Get real, given current rates, nobody offer to pay you 2.5% unless you are taking on significant risk.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Get real, given current rates, nobody offer to pay you 2.5% unless you are taking on significant risk.

The OP says that iban wallet are paying 2.5%. The poster you quoted claims to be getting 8% from Nexo and his money is '100% guaranteed, no capital risk.'

• Advertisement
Advertisement