Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storming of Area 51

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

The distances and time involved in interstellar travel are so big that the idea of an alien civilisation sending a spacecraft to observe us is completely impractical.

Furthermore, if they had the super advanced technology to actually build a craft that could transverse such distances in a practical timeframe, it wouldn’t look and act like something that’s just a small step in development on from our own technology. All the reports of UFOs are basically a testament to the limits of human imagination.

That’s not to say that I don’t think life exists elsewhere in the universe - I think it highly probable. I just think that the chances of us finding it or it finding us - particularly intelligent life - are basically zero because of the vast distances in space and time involved.

And no, wormholes aren’t an option. They’re fine for science fiction, but even if they are possible to create and maintain (which isn’t likely), there not something that a physical object would be able to use and survive as a physical object.

Exactly this. I don't think most people realise how vast space is. Take for example the fastest object humans have ever made - The Voyager One probe. It was launched in 1977, has been travelling at 11 miles per second ever since and despite all that it is only a mere 18 or so light hours from Earth. Now considering that any Alien civilisation will be at the very very least a dozen or more light years away from us, what kind of technology do you suppose they posses to be able to traverse those distances? If they are technologically advanced enough to have the ability to travel close to light speed or even to exceed it somehow then we would either be of no interest to them as we would be so primitive in comparison or they could wipe us out and we wouldn't even know about it. Either way, there are no little green men being interrogated in a meeting room in Area 51 or anywhere else for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DanyTargaryen

Lol I clicked attending on the facebook event because I just thought it was hilarious and assumed it was a joke. I'm kinda amazed anyone is actually planning on turning up!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Pretty sure the American's know how to deal with these people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Exactly this. I don't think most people realise how vast space is...

Agreed. If they ever do turn up, it'll be in some sort of huge interstellar vessel(s), not some sort of winged wheelbarrow. :D

The distances and time involved in interstellar travel are so big that the idea of an alien civilisation sending a spacecraft to observe us is completely impractical.

Furthermore, if they had the super advanced technology to actually build a craft that could transverse such distances in a practical timeframe, it wouldn’t look and act like something that’s just a small step in development on from our own technology. All the reports of UFOs are basically a testament to the limits of human imagination.

OK, I'll bite. The distances and time involved are completely impractical for sending a being with a lifespan of a human yes.

We have sent unmanned probes into space, to Mars and further afield. Both Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 have already entered inter-stellar space. You don't think its possible races from other planets send similar probes around?

Many people would think it crazy to send a probe to Alpha Centauri if we won't have results for 141,000 years from now, and definitely there is no government funding for it. However, maybe other races have different motivations than how much will it cost and how soon can we get the data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

jimgoose wrote: »
    Agreed. If they ever do turn up, it'll be in some sort of huge interstellar vessel(s), not some sort of winged wheelbarrow. :D

I think if they are carbon based life forms like us then their probes will be the first to reach here just as our probes have gone much deeper into space than any human has due to the fact probes aren't a living thing that needs to be kept alive and nurtured constantly. But the probes of such an advanced civilisation could probably take on the form of a gas or something. We wouldn't even know it was here. Hard to speculate with any accuracy of course because if we are just ants to them then we wouldn't even be able to comprehend their technology anyway even if we could recognise it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

I have an old family friend who was a fighter pilot in the early 50’s. He actually developed jet fighter maneuvers and tactics used even today. He operated on occasion out of secret military bases. He laughs at all the Area 51 hoopla. He says other worldly objects exist but weren’t located at Area 51 at the time, but elsewhere.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Since almost every person on Earth now has a decent phone that can take clear images ufo sightings have gone to near zero, we are alone sadly.

In fairness, phones are pretty crap at taking night time videos of the sky (at least in my experience).

That being so, I don't believe in any ETs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You don't have to phone E.T. for the weird and wonderful. I give you,

The Short SC.1:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_SC.1

e5a5cf42bb57b10661b4e8d1acfa78ab.jpg

The Rockwell XFV-12:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_XFV-12

118496_800.jpg

And - I just know you're going to love this - the Avro Canada VZ-9 Avrocar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_VZ-9_Avrocar

0190550.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Del2005 wrote: »
    Of course UFOs are real. I saw something flying yesterday I couldn't identify.

Yes, and people see things that move in a way that is not possible with our current technology too, and again they could not identify it. So if you saw a helium balloon then great, but at least it didn't move as speeds not of this world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They seem short of numbers for a raid. Hope then get in a free the aliens .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yes, and people see things that move in a way that is not possible with our current technology too, and again they could not identify it. So if you saw a helium balloon then great, but at least it didn't move as speeds not of this world.

how good are you at estimating the speed of aircraft that may be many miles away? If you are in any way accurate you are a special individual because most people are crap at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I'm no good at judging the size of crowds, but I'd say there's about 17 million people there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

More reporters and undercover agents than actual people turned up

• Registered Users Posts: 83,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

how good are you at estimating the speed of aircraft that may be many miles away? If you are in any way accurate you are a special individual because most people are crap at it.

If they are miles away from the recorded observer, moving around as they do, at the rate they are seen in these clips, then you only really need to be accurate to around +/- the speed of sound (not accurate at all) to tell that they are moving unnaturally fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

9-D69-C56-A-E8-C1-414-F-8-D88-96-FC302-BC66-C.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Did anything happen?

Advertisement