Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey on a possible new hone

Options
  • 20-09-2019 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi ,
    Recently got a pre purchase survey.
    The main thing in it was the vlux windows upstairs in 3 bedrooms need to be made lower and bigger for fire escape and ventilation.
    Does anyone know is this a big job?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

lyons123 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    The main thing in it was the vlux windows upstairs in 3 bedrooms need to be made lower and bigger for fire escape and ventilation.
    Thanks in advance

Fire escape through a Velux? I've never heard of that. I also can't find anything about it in the Technical Guidance Documents: Part B - Fire Safety Then again I'm not a Fire Consultant.

The cost varies massively based on the following:
    • What is the roof build up: (tiles/slates or flatroof membrane)
    • How big the window
    • What is the sloped ceiling build up (Plasterboard with insulation or drylining slabs)
    • How high is the window off the ground (i.e does it require scaffolding inside and out).

The price of the window depends on what you want. You could get a generic brand standard size for less than €200 a window or pay up to €500 from Velux themselves.

As for the labour, it's hard to tell because of the above missing info. A new Velux in a new roof could take 2.5 hours where as in an existing roof it could take 5-6 hours.

So a ball park figure assuming it's a normal roof, no scaffolding required inside.

Standard size generic Brand: €1000+
    Standard size Velux: up to €1,900

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lemonkey wrote: »
    Fire escape through a Velux? I've never heard of that. I also can't find anything about it in the Technical Guidance Documents: Part B - Fire Safety Then again I'm not a Fire Consultant.

The cost varies massively based on the following:
    • What is the roof build up: (tiles/slates or flatroof membrane)
    • How big the window
    • What is the sloped ceiling build up (Plasterboard with insulation or drylining slabs)
    • How high is the window off the ground (i.e does it require scaffolding inside and out).

The price of the window depends on what you want. You could get a generic brand standard size for less than €200 a window or pay up to €500 from Velux themselves.

As for the labour, it's hard to tell because of the above missing info. A new Velux in a new roof could take 2.5 hours where as in an existing roof it could take 5-6 hours.

So a ball park figure assuming it's a normal roof, no scaffolding required inside.

Standard size generic Brand: €1000+
    Standard size Velux: up to €1,900

Good thing your not a Fire Consultant :P

Check out Technical Guidance Document Part B as linked above on Page 25.
    Section 1.3.7 - Windows for Escape or Rescue and specifically
    The bottom of the window opening
    should be not more than 1100 mm
    and in the case of a rooflight not less
    than 600 mm above the floor,
    immediately inside or beneath the
    window or rooflight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lyons123 wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Thanks in advance

The vendor may just classify it as a store room then.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭lemonkey

kceire wrote: »
    Good thing your not a Fire Consultant :P

Check out Technical Guidance Document Part B as linked above on Page 25.
    Section 1.3.7 - Windows for Escape or Rescue and specifically

You learn something new every day. I guess a quick Ctrl+F just doesn't cut it anymore :o

Advertisement