Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senior fall alert - Smart Watch

Options
  • 20-09-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is best place to post. I am looking for a device someone can wear on wrist that allows them to alert if they fall. Should also have some form of accelerometer to indicate fall in case person is unconscious. They only devices I can find are modified Samsung Galaxy smart watches that go to a monitoring station, all US based. Is there anything equivelant on the Irish market? The house has broadband so can also send info via IP. I would like something that can take a IOT SIM card from Vodafone. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭twignme

If the person is a senior, there are funded organisations who provide the phone link and the bracelet, which is monitored. The set up is free for the first 12 months and very cheap after that. if it's the 'man down' pendant, I think it costs about €50 to upgrade. You wouldnt be able to wear one of those on your wrist as it would keep giving out false alarms, it would have to be a pendant. One of the organisations is Trask, but it depends where you live in the country which one you would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

from experience it is only worthwhile if you can get the person to reliably wear the device

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not cheap, but the Apple Watch has fall detection and can be set up to call family if a fall is detected.

Vodafone also have a smart band that can do the same:
    https://eshop.v.vodafone.com/ie/v-sos-band

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Tunstall Emergency Response might have something you could use.

https://tunstallemergencyresponse.ie/welcome/

Advertisement