Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horticultural fleece

Options
  • 20-09-2019 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

The last batch I bought seems to be biodegradable as it tears very easily after a few weeks and seems to disintegrate thereafter.

Has anyone else used this "new" stuff and what do they think of it?

Would a heavier grade last longer?

Can we still get the old stuff and is it a good idea to use it or is it one of those plastic products we just have to wean ourselves off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I doubt that its biodegradable but more likely its not UV stabilised so has a limited life as soon as its put out in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

That is what I thought at first but it has really broken down into very small pieces.

If it is not biodegradable then does it turn into something harmful?

I am pretty sure that biodegradable fleece does exist....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My understanding is that the chemicals that are required to add some UV stability to the plastic cost money so its cheaper not to use them, hard to know what the fleece breaks down to but I can't imagine that its any good for the environment.

Advertisement