Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance no claims discount

Options
  • 20-09-2019 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

So I moved house a couple of years ago, at the time I had 1 years no claims discount on my house insurance. When I moved I was mid way through the insurance term, so I took out new home insurance on the new house and cancelled the policy on the old house. When I took out insurance for the new house I had no proof of the NCD so went back to the start at 0 for the NCD on that policy. Wondering if I made a mistake there and could have put down 1 years NCD? I'm renewing again 2 years later and putting down 2 years NCD in online quotes, though I really have 3. Anyone know if the years NCD is tied to the house or can I put down 3 years now (2 in current house + 1 in old house)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No such thing. It's a marketing concept. Not the same as cars. They just allow a discount for no claims in a certain period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It’s the exact same as motor insurance, a marketing concept with no legal basis. If an insurer allows a discount they do, if they don’t that’s the end of the matter. Outdated practice

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Ok thanks for the info, so I'm guessing I should ring a few companies I've gotten competitive online quotes from and clarify if they'll allow me use the extra year NCD in the old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

As far am I'm aware the question you have to answer is how many years you have claim free so the answer is 3.

Advertisement