Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year on from Ms Cash's impassioned speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's not traveller bashing. The fact this woman gets over 50k a year in benefits while having to pay maybe 160 quid a month on rent, medical bills all paid etc.... For anybody working to be left with that after rent/mortgage/medical bills they would be earning in excess of 70k.... The fact she is better off financially than thousands of people working is wrong. Every effort should be made to high light how unequal Irish Society really is to the middle class

yeah! and here comes a budget, where the supposed champion of the working people FG, will give the people keeping the lights on in this country i.e. the workers NOTHING, NOTHING! including the working poor on 35,000 who lose FIFTY percent on earnings over that figure! Yet the worldclass welfare will be pumped up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Sulky racing on roads is inexcusable, no matter who is doing it. There is never an excuse for it.

We all know who is doing it, but of course you wont say.

Defending Maggs is disgraceful. And you wont stop. Just admit she is a scumbag!
    But youre so right on you wont.

Reply to posts #111 and #119 if you can please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

She's a product of her environment. Don't hate the player, hate the game!

I totally agree! Did margaret cash try to buy endless elections with free everything and no responsibility?! Have any of those wasters currently in there done anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Yes. It was the "game's" fault that she stole clothes and decided to break the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes. It was the "game's" fault that she stole clothes and decided to break the law.

Over 30 times....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Great to see it's all working out for Mags and that she can afford to buy and keep a pony for her son

Sure as she said "I never said I was poor. I said I was homeless"

Now she has her home forever

"never thought 1 year later I would have me own home tg. So for any1 wanting to give up plz keep going because there is hope for every1"

Inspiration stuff

It is an amazing comment that no news outlet actually homed in on....

I actually can't believe how generous the government really is to the types of cash and it really shouldn't be on....

Anyone in her circumstances shouldn't be able to afford such luxurious lifestyle and also to be honest how one on the scratch can afford to run a car or 2 and insure, NCT, fuel and maintain is beyond me...

Yes, it actually is. She had no opportunities in life because of Traveller Culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

It is an amazing comment that no news outlet actually homed in on....

I actually can't believe how generous the government really is to the types of cash and it really shouldn't be on....

Anyone in her circumstances shouldn't be able to afford such luxurious lifestyle and also to be honest how one on the scratch can afford to run a car or 2 and insure, NCT, fuel and maintain is beyond me...

The government only care about the rich were told.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

Over 30 times....

"Sure I never said I was a saint boss"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Yes, it actually is. She had no opportunities in life because of Traveller Culture.

Surely not this most exalted and protected culture that defines their distinction from the rest of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

She had no opportunities in life because of Traveller Culture.

And yet she would seem to be getting on better than many other Irish people in their 20s who finished school, went to university, got a job, and are now paying a good chunk of their after-tax wages for a bedroom in a house-share — all while the Cash family enjoys their foreva home and a nice tax-free income.

For many people Margaret Cash's age who played by the rules, the prospect of getting married, owning a home, and having children is a pipe dream.

Your imagination is playing tricks on you Abel.

Rather than defend anyone, I've pointed out some pretty obvious facts, like we don't know where the pony is being kept, and that there's nothing cruel out keeping a horse or pony in a confined space for long periods of time under certain conditions, and that Margaret Cash is costing the tax-paying individual a negligible amount of money - you wouldn't notice it on your P60.

I get that people want to talk about various policies that they think should or should not be implemented, like widespread incaracarion and taking children from their parents for no stated reason, but I haven't been involved in that. I do think it's self-evidently stupid but people are entitled to their views.

No idea what posts you're referring to. Nobody is owed a reply, especially if they're talking shïte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Ah the bigotry of low expectations.

Maybe Pavee Point can use the not inconsiderable funding they are afforded at the tax payers’ expense to rectify the poor opportunities given to travellers due to their “culture”.

Or they can just go on deflecting from taking responsibility for their own community and continue to blame the rest of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Odelay

Well they better start by telling that to every trainer whose yard I've ever worked on where horses live in 15 square-meter boxes because they can't be allowed out on grass, partly because of risk of injury. Horses need to be able to exercise
    They do not have some existential need for "space" so long as they have space to turn around, move and roll.

Again, not saying they should be kept in gardens in Tallaght, seems like an odd choice -- IF the pony is actually living there, it isn't in itself cruel. That's all.

Horses in training are not locked up 24/7. They do get turned out, hence the name of the “turn out” paddock.
    Please stop making up stuff to suit your own agenda. To say a pony foal only needs enough room to turn around is disgusting/cruel.

Odelay wrote: »
    Horses in training are not locked up 24/7. They do get turned out, hence the name of the “turn out” paddock.
    Please stop making up stuff to suit your own agenda. To say a pony foal only needs enough room to turn around is disgusting/cruel.
    Some horses do get turned out yeah, many don't. There are trainers operating in Ireland with strings of dozens of horses who own almost no land. They use walkers in association with cantering to maintain fitness, but otherwise horses are stabled on a permanent basis in the season. This is not at all uncommon, especially for valuable horses - it's standard in dressage yards. I'm not sure what your level of experience is but if you've ever worked on a competition yard you would be familiar with this.

lola85 wrote: »
    The government only care about the rich were told.

the rich, but also remember, they need vote to win power. This isnt about "fair" the vast majority here contribute very little, but guess what, everyones vote is equal. So of course the morally corrupt scum buy off the great unwashed, they get power. The middle income earners are f*cked by it. The less well off workers are here too, not on the income taxes they pay, but on the outrageous cost of living, particularly if you are renting in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ah the bigotry of low expectations.

Maybe Pavee Point can use the not inconsiderable funding they are afforded at the tax payers’ expense to rectify the poor opportunities given to travellers due to their “culture”.

Or they can just go on deflecting from taking responsibility for their own community and continue to blame the rest of society.

I'm not much of a gambler but my money is on the second one:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

She represents everything that is most offensive to ordinary working people.

She's loud and has a massive sense of entitlement.

She hasn't worked a day in her life, has made no contribution to the country or society, has led a life of petty crime, and still gets relatively large handouts tax free. We pay for everything.

Something is seriously wrong in the country to allow this ridiculous situation happen and continue.

Her benefits should be capped at the minimum wage, and taxed if appropriate. That might give her a reason to do something positive in her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Au contraire.

It's the banks fault. It's the governments fault. It's society's fault. It's your fault, and mine.

Do you not understand? WE are Margaret Cash's criminal record. Us. As a society.

I can't keep doing this. Why won't people just a Karl Marx book and try to educate themselves before pointing the cold finger of blame? Why?

Thank God common sense is starting to prevail.

• Advertisement

And yet she would seem to be getting on better than many other Irish people in their 20s who finished school, went to university, got a job, and are now paying a good chunk of their after-tax wages for a bedroom in a house-share — all while the Cash family enjoys their foreva home and a nice tax-free income.

For many people Margaret Cash's age who played by the rules, the prospect of getting married, owning a home, and having children is a pipe dream.

Yeah but once again, don't blame Mags. Traveller women are oppressed. Our Gov gives her the houses and money. She's hardly going to say no.

She hasn't worked a day in her life, has made no contribution to the country or society, has led a life of petty crime, and still gets relatively large handouts tax free. We pay for everything.

Something is seriously wrong in the country to allow this ridiculous situation happen and continue.

Her benefits should be capped at the minimum wage, and taxed if appropriate. That might give her a reason to do something positive in her life.

Don't forget it's mainly genuine working class folk who will suffer the most because of people like her. They're the ones who wind up living next door to her.

Your imagination is playing tricks on you Abel.

Rather than defend anyone, I've pointed out some pretty obvious facts, like we don't know where the pony is being kept, and that there's nothing cruel out keeping a horse or pony in a confined space for long periods of time under certain conditions, and that Margaret Cash is costing the tax-paying individual a negligible amount of money - you wouldn't notice it on your P60.

I get that people want to talk about various policies that they think should or should not be implemented, like widespread incaracarion and taking children from their parents for no stated reason, but I haven't been involved in that. I do think it's self-evidently stupid but people are entitled to their views.

No idea what posts you're referring to. Nobody is owed a reply, especially if they're talking shïte.

Red herring alert.

Most of us don't give two ****s about the 40c figure you've pulled out of nowhere. I grew up in a town where our lives were made miserable by a minority who got everything for nothing, and never had to worry about anything else.

Robberies, fighting, muggings. Who cares if I get a big scar down my face or a criminal record. It's not as if I'm ever going to be sat down at a job interview. All the crap I want will be paid for by the taxpayer anyway without me having to lift a finger.

It makes the 40c pale into insignificance alright.

And by the way, there's more than one Margaret Cash type figure in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

I hope whoever is Taoiseach after the next election, either Leo or Micheal appoint Margaret Cash to the seanad.

https://www.thejournal.ie/garda-traveller-video-4820564-Sep2019/

I give up. Why bother anymore seriously.

They win. This is David and Goliath stuff.

A lot of welfare payments are already taxable. It wouldn't make sense to tax Jobseekers' Allowance, since its means-tested in the first place. Taxes cannot be levied on an individual basis, so if you were to tax child benefit, for example, it would be done for everyone. I think that's a good idea, but there would be uproar if it were introduced.

Benefits caps are worth considering, but it's worth noting that Margaret Cash (or anyone in her position) could more than double their weekly income by working a minimum wage job, as they would be entitled to Family Income Supplement (507 euro per week) Back To Work Dividend (119 euro per week) on top of a salary from work.

So, if the point of a benefits cap is to ensure that it is far more profitable to work, that's already been the case for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Cordell

Family Income Supplement (507 euro per week) Back To Work Dividend (119 euro per week)
    Can I get that? I mean, if it's only 40c or so for the tax payer...

Cordell wrote: »
    Can I get that? I mean, if it's only 40c or so for the tax payer...
    Ask the Department, sure. They were the ones who established these schemes, Margaret Cash isnt the one who came up with it.

This country is a democracy, and if there are policies you don't like, it's as simple as using your vote to change how the country is governed. If enough people agree with your ideas, policies will change. From what I see around me though, most people are not fixated with Margaret Cash outside of this website, and they don't seem to think families should be broken up for no clear reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

eurokev wrote: »
    Was just on Margaret Cash's Facebook and she put up a post reminding us, that just this time last year, she gave an impassioned speech on homelessness outside the gates of the dail and to never give up on fighting to get our home,

Such a strong woman, who now has her home which has a new addition - a little horse, no less - a present she got her son for his birthday.

Inspirational stuff to see on a Friday, when I'm about to head home after a 60odd hour week

You're wasting your time complaining about her. If she was a chancer politician or bailed out developer some would be excusing it. She's a chancer using the well meaning system designed for people down on their luck. Decent people wouldn't wallow on the periphery of society to bleed the tax payer, but as we can see some do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

And a fcukin horse then in the garden for the next generation of grabbers.she should be charged with animal neglect having a horse in the garden of a house.
    Not enough ground for it to graze and no adequate shelter provided.id also ask to see is it microchipped and provided with a passport and ask to see what veterinary care it has received.
    This country is a fcukin jokeshop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement