Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year on from Ms Cash's impassioned speech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Honestly, I would struggle to spend 5% of Cash's SW income per annum on a pony. Ours live out with cattle, and cost nothing bar trimming, a few worming doses, the cost of the occasional replacement rug and damn-all hay. Vet costs are almost nil because they're ponies, ie indestructible. It's not remotely comparable to a sports car.

Cash has to steal clothes. So if you were in her shoes (lol) that 5% would be gone before you even start.

Clearly you'd be better able to manage your finances than her.

The fact is she can't. And that was before the pony arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

tuxy wrote: »
    Her issue was never a lack of money it was homelessness. Or at least that was what she said at the time when she was still on the housing waiting list.

No lack of money. Buy her own gaff so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

No lack of money. Buy her own gaff so.

That's not how the council sees it.
    She's an ethnic minority with a large number of dependant children no matter how much money she has hidden she is not expected to pay for housing.
    Cash has to steal clothes. So if you were in her shoes (lol) that 5% would be gone before you even start.

She does not need to steal clothes she has just decided she does not want to pay sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

She represents everything that is most offensive to ordinary working people.

She's loud and has a massive sense of entitlement.

She hasn't worked a day in her life, has made no contribution to the country or society, has led a life of petty crime, and still gets relatively large handouts tax free. We pay for everything.

Something is seriously wrong in the country to allow this ridiculous situation happen and continue.

Her benefits should be capped at the minimum wage, and taxed if appropriate. That might give her a reason to do something positive in her life.

the only thing it will make her do is commit more crime. she gets the bare minimum to live already.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Cash has to steal clothes.

Does she? You don't need a PhD in sociology to be aware that theft can be opportunistic.

It's still not clear whether people are saying Cash only has enough income to provide for her family, or whether she can afford to provide for some (admittedly economical) pony. It's fairly important, either she's overpaid or she isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the only thing it will make her do is commit more crime. she gets the bare minimum to live already.

"make her commit more crime" as if people dont inherrently have morals to not do crime. She's the only one making her do crime , not anyone else

It's still not clear whether people are saying Cash only has enough income to provide for her family, or whether she can afford to provide for some (admittedly economical) pony. It's fairly important, either she's overpaid or she isn't.

Well since she started spending large amounts of money on expensive antique furniture as soon as she found out she would be getting a house I think we know which it is.

Well since she started spending large amounts of money on expensive antique furniture as soon as she found out she would be getting a house I think we know which it is.

I was going to say something similar like her kids wandering round in designer gear protesting for more handouts instead of going to school.
    But we all know her attitude towards paying for clothes...

I guess it's a bit of both. She does spend large amounts of money on flashy(tacky) items that are not necessary. But because of her spending habits if it wasn't for large social welfare payments her children would possibly be neglected or deprived in some way. And I know people will think she should change her ways but you have to remember it is her culture and currently it is protected under law.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

CIE now asking commuters to stagger commute times, as the banana republic cant even provide a second world train service! Still, another several hundred million up in smoke on welfare again in budget 2020! You can be sure margaret Ca$h and her fellow legions of welfare wasters here wont be taking peak time public transport! Probably has the kids going to school on horse back!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058017343

• Advertisement

I guess it's a bit of both. She does spend large amounts of money on flashy(tacky) items that are not necessary. But because of her spending habits if it wasn't for large social welfare payments her children would possibly be neglected or deprived in some way. And I know people will think she should change her ways but you have to remember it is her culture and currently it is protected under law.

her children are being deprived of an education to go protesting with her... by her....

lets be very honest here, 10 grand, 100 grand, 50 grand on the social , wouldn't matter, the chances of a single one of those children completing university and making it to 40 with 0 convictions and atleast 10 years payslips was less than 1% the second they were conceived, and that is the fault of her and her alone. She's fully capable of asking for monetary help in the same buildings that she could get supports to raise those children to an acceptable societal standard, but tacky furniture, sunbeds and beer are more important.

her culture and currently it is protected under law.
    Which law?

The Dáil statement ón the recognition of travellers' ethnicity is a political and aspirational statement; it has no justiciable effect, as was recently stated by a judge of the High Court.

Again, there is a whole lot of barking hysteria when travellers are discussed, and very scarce resort to plain facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lads, she's a f*cking uneducated traveller! Do you really expect her to behave like the rest of us and spend her money wisely? There are so many layers to why she is the way she is, but it's down to the sh*tty background she came from and now she has 8 kids.

Lads, she's a f*cking uneducated traveller! Do you really expect her to behave like the rest of us and spend her money wisely? There are so many layers to why she is the way she is, but it's down to the sh*tty background she came from and now she has 8 kids.

and its somehow acceptable for the state to hand her a free house and 50k a year into her hand and not in any way insist that she doesn't impart the same sh*tty upbringing on those 8 kids ? They think that it is acceptable to hand that much to somebody with more convictions than teeth and leave them unsupervised to bring up 8 children in the same fashion.

Does she? You don't need a PhD in sociology to be aware that theft can be opportunistic.

Yes. There was a thread on it. You were quite active on that one too telling us what a mighty woman she is.

Yes. There was a thread on it. You were quite active on that one too telling us what a mighty woman she is.
    For a woman who appears to have had no education worth mentioning, and who was raised in a domineeringly patriarchal, closed community, Margaret Cash's eloquence and clarity of expression is pretty astonishing. I do think she's fairly mighty as far as that goes.

I don't know if she's a good citizen, that's another question entirely. Even you must wonder, though, if she had had all of the opportunities the rest of us had growing up, how far her talents might have stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

For a woman who appears to have had no education worth mentioning, and who was raised in a domineeringly patriarchal, closed community, Margaret Cash's eloquence and clarity of expression is pretty astonishing. I do think she's fairly mighty as far as that goes.

I don't know if she's a good citizen, that's another question entirely. Even you must wonder, though, if she had had all of the opportunities the rest of us had growing up, how far her talents might have stretched.

After 8 kids, I'd say there's parts of her anatomy pretty well stretched too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

For a woman who appears to have had no education worth mentioning, and who was raised in a domineeringly patriarchal, closed community, Margaret Cash's eloquence and clarity of expression is pretty astonishing.

No. Just no. Being able to demand things she feels she is 'entitled' to does in no way make her 'eloquent'. She is a ****ing pillock.

https://twitter.com/niall_boylan/status/1047526900242022401?lang=en

The gubberment is robbing her alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Ah jayz. You've totally gone mad here. Eloquence and clarity of expression? With the hilarious 'for a traveller' caveat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

If your spelling wasn't so good, I would swear you are Bernard Sweeney.

If your spelling wasn't so good, I would swear you are Bernard Sweeney.

What happened to Bernard's weekly podcast style show he had planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Very eloquent!

Very eloquent!

Apparently astonishing eloquence and clarity of expression by travellers standards so you can only imagine what A Tyrant Named Miltiades! thinks of the average traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Jesus Christ. Its like people really bristle when it's pointed out that something Margaret Cash did might not call for an hysterical reaction. It's like people love behing outraged and they hate if the idea of someone bursting their balloon.

I didn't say its OK to keep a pony in a garden in Tallaght. In some situations, it might be appropriate. Some of the jarveys' horses that drive tourists around the city are kept at the rear of buildings in places like Rathmines, Portobello, and the Liberties. Those are stabled, but a pony doesn't need stabling.

I think the biggest reason why keeping a pony in your back garden is daft is (a) don't you want a garden? and (b) the neighbours probably won't be happy. But if those aren't considerations, I suppose go ahead. I wouldn't do it, but neither is it cruel.

Ah stop now Ty, I like most of your posts but this is ridiculous.

It is absolutely cruel to keep any animal that size in a tiny space.

I want to keep donkeys but I don't because I don't have an acre of land to keep them on. Simple.

It's cruelty, full stop. It's like keeping a human in one room all their lives.

Stop now.

How far her talents might have stretched? Probably from getting caught stealing €300 from pennys to getting caught stealing football stadiums and quarries.

She did have the same opportunities as the rest of us growing up.

Oh I know. I heard all about 'raise the roof'.

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling for the sake of it at this stage or if you have some other agenda. Or maybe you're just one of these people who has to be seen to be contrarian.

You know what the saddest part of all this is. It's the genuine, honest people who work away and try to do the best to rear families in these estates. People who get by, send their kids to school and want them to have a future.

They're the ones who really take the brunt of this 'culture'. They're the ones who will have to look out their front window at the swathes of kids whose parents do nothing and teach them that's the way forward.

They're the ones who get a brick through the door because when their own kids have enough and stand up for themselves.

Like all the best libs their policies and ideas hit the people at the bottom the hardest.

But they never, ever seem to care.

She did have the same opportunities as the rest of us growing up.
    How so? We are weighed down with decades of evidence that higher educational attainment and of social class are positively correlated with educational attainment in the subsequent generation. There is also ample evidence - much of it anecdotally referenced in this thread - that travellers live in a closed society that simply does not value education. I can hardly think of any greater egotistical conceit than this stupid delusion that you or I would be any different to the local traveller lad had we been raised in his shoes.

To think otherwise, it would be necessary to believe that travellers are somehow biologically inferior (all the while, somehow, denying that they are in any way ethnically distinct; try and square that if you can).

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Aug 2018 MC has 6 of her angels sleeping on chairs in their school uniforms.
    Sep 2019 MC has managed to give a pony to her son for his birthday........
    Oh what a different a year makes!!! 🙄🙄

• Advertisement

How so? We are weighed down with decades of evidence that higher educational attainment and of social class are positively correlated with educational attainment in the subsequent generation. There is also ample evidence - much of it anecdotally referenced in this thread - that travellers live in a closed society that simply does not value education. I can hardly think of any greater egotistical conceit than this stupid delusion that you or I would be any different to the local traveller lad had we been raised in his shoes.

To think otherwise, it would be necessary to believe that travellers are somehow biologically inferior (all the while, somehow, denying that they are in any way ethnically distinct; try and square that if you can).

There were travellers in my secondary school. They get free secondary education the same as the rest of us.

If they choose not to avail of it there's not much the rest of us can do. But do not try to say the opportunity isn't there.

"I can hardly think of any greater egotistical conceit than this stupid delusion that you or I would be any different to the local traveller lad had we been raised in his shoes." - speak for yourself.

Seriously still have no idea if you're just mindlessly trolling or not.

Are you still going with the line about MC's eloquence? Or has that been resoundingly lol'd off the thread?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement