Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Career change

• 20-09-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm a qualified secondary school teacher. Living in Cork and have absolutely no job opportunities. I have 2 years experience and can't even manage to get substituting. I only have a provisional licence so it limits me. Anyway, I'm fed up of it, because of my subjects I probably won't get anymore opportunities. I'm currently deciding what I want to go back to college and do. I'm thinking play therapy or something completely different. I would much prefer not to go back and do another 4/5 years in college but a B. Ed doesn't really open a lot of doors. I can't do a conversion course. So basically I'm wondering is there any 2 year masters/postgraduate courses which would have a high employment rate. Any teachers that have changed their careers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You need some actual work experience, not yet another qualification. How about trying for a retail management program with lidl or aldi,or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TheTomahawk

How about trying for a retail management program with lidl or aldi,or similar?

Or McDonald's. They have quite good management training. Work with them for a while and then use the experience to go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

corkllady wrote: »
    I'm a qualified secondary school teacher. Living in Cork and have absolutely no job opportunities. I have 2 years experience and can't even manage to get substituting. I only have a provisional licence so it limits me. Anyway, I'm fed up of it, because of my subjects I probably won't get anymore opportunities. I'm currently deciding what I want to go back to college and do. I'm thinking play therapy or something completely different. I would much prefer not to go back and do another 4/5 years in college but a B. Ed doesn't really open a lot of doors. I can't do a conversion course. So basically I'm wondering is there any 2 year masters/postgraduate courses which would have a high employment rate. Any teachers that have changed their careers?

If willing to move to Dublin, why not the civil service? AO graduate competition starting presently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

How about you kill a few birds with one stone.

https://www.cucas.edu.cn

Find a course there which works for you.

Apply for the grants and you'll get free college, free board (your own ensuite room) and maybe even some free meals.

Teach private English lessons (illegally) on the side to have lots of pocket money.

Take some Chinese language lessons.

You'll have an adventure, get your qualification, earn some money, open your mind, learn a new language.

I know a woman who just did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 corkllady

You need some actual work experience, not yet another qualification. How about trying for a retail management program with lidl or aldi,or similar?

Thanks for the reply, I've actually 6 years bar experience and 2 years assistant manager experience. I was hoping to try lidl or aldi but you need a full drivers licence and I'm only after getting a provisional. Have been looking at graduate programmes but majority of them in Cork seem to be finance/engineer or business back ground.

• Advertisement

If willing to move to Dublin, why not the civil service? AO graduate competition starting presently

I have been looking and waiting for jobs to come up in the civil service but nothing as of yet. Not willing to move to Dublin tbh which also hinders my opportunities

Thanks for 5hw suggestion, heard there is great money to be made in China for teachers but I've lost all interest in teaching. Unfortunately I have family in Limerick and a boyfriend in Cork so I'm stuck in Cork for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

He’s my initial thought. Focus all your energy on getting the full driving licence and buying a cheap car. Get a credit union/bank loan if needed. If there’s a chance to speed up this process by doing an intensive driving course then do it. It seems to be the thing that’s holding you back at the moment, and will be the same in any career (play therapy etc that you mentioned). It will cost money, but so will another qualification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I have seen a few teachers doing a one year masters in health promotion but the course is in Galway so probably not suitable for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Can have a driving licence in a few short months, you're using that as an excuse to rule things out! Get your lessons done and get your licence. Think of it as an investment then your options open up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

corkllady wrote: »

You need to decide exactly what you'd like to do with your life, it looks like you probably have 30 years work ahead of you and spending it doing something you don't enjoy doing is going to have an impact on your health.

Giving up on your dreams to do a job that brings you no satisfaction, just to stay in Cork is a very big price to pay. You are a young person, get out there an explore the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Is this open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Is this open?

Start of October I think, PAS are advertising that it's coming soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

Change your career via a conversion course at springboard - many have or are about to start so you could get going asap.

Advertisement