Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know. Hence my incredulity at everyone on here singing the praises of one while shouting shame at the other.

They are not even remotely comparable.

Seeking self determination and governance where none such exists is not the same as seeking a mythical freedom from a ruler that only exists in tabloid pages and in the minds of a few wildly misinformed useful fools.

The only difference I see is your own applied terminology. Both are equally misguided examples of uninformed, emotion driven politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Macron saying today that UK has until the end of the week to fundamentally change it's proposals according to the Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭briany

Going the full revocation route is a suicide mission. I cannot see the HoC agreeing to it.

If an extension is denied, then the only route left is to cobble together a last minute deal. This is where they may start really regretting voting down May's deal 3 times. They'll already have dismissed Johnson's proposals, and those weren't even acceptable to the EU, so it doesn't matter. Could the opposition send a special envoy of some sort to Brussels for last minute emergency talks? Well, Corbyn has been before, and he did table an alternative deal which never even got off the ground. He could try that again, and hope that it has more legs considering the drastically different circumstances of that or no-deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Macron saying today that UK has until the end of the week to fundamentally change it's proposals according to the Guardian.

Leo said the same last night although with gentler language.

Then the tabloids went with ‘Varadkar demands a third extension’ and ‘Varadkar issues brexit deadline threat!’

He did neither.

listermint wrote: »
    No joke. This country cannot afford SNP policies as it stands, never mind after independence. The oil is no longer what it was, Ireland is already being used as a bridge between America and Europe so no corporate benefits, that leaves us with whisky and tourism. Hardly an economy as an island with a hostile border to the south.

That wasn't my question.

You inferred it was hatred was why they wanted out.

Which goes against all of the factual reasons.

So I ask again. Was that a joke or were you being serious.

I'm very serious, I live here. If you think brexiteers are stupid and uninformed why do you think the indi campaign is any different? They were campaigning to leave in a period of economic and political security not so long ago. Now they are using brexit as their own project fear. You can't have it both ways, this hardcore large percentage have wanted to break the union since long before brexit.
    Which is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Hard to see Scotland remaining in the UK much longer.

They are essentially being taken out of the EU by England. If Scots feel the same about EU as Irish do I just can't see them accepting it in the short to medium term.

The UK is a complete mess of contradictions now.

It’s great though a possibility of a United ireland and the break up of the UK every cloud has a silver lining and I know a hard Brexit will be tough but it will be immensely satisfying to see both these occurrences in the aftermath of it.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Hard to see Scotland remaining in the UK much longer.

They are essentially being taken out of the EU by England. If Scots feel the same about EU as Irish do I just can't see them accepting it in the short to medium term.

The UK is a complete mess of contradictions now.

It’s great though a possibility of a United ireland and the break up of the UK every cloud has a silver lining and I know a hard Brexit will be tough but it will be immensely satisfying to see both these occurrences in the aftermath of it.

The promised loss of NI would likely turn many remainers to leave. That historical stone around our neck has been slowing us for a very long time. You guys are welcome to it. It's not a part of the union. Just a war trophy.

I'm very serious, I live here. If you think brexiteers are stupid and uninformed why do you think the indi campaign is any different? They were campaigning to leave in a period of economic and political security not so long ago. Now they are using brexit as their own project fear. You can't have it both ways, this hardcore large percentage have wanted to break the union since long before brexit.
    Which is it?

You’re really not debating in good faith here to be honest. There’s a clear and very easily defined difference between the two situations.

Ps how’s the new baby?

The threats begin...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/ireland-warned-to-expect-disruption-to-medicines-and-fishing-in-no-deal-brexit-jmrpl2lrw
    The Republic of Ireland will face potential disruption of medical supplies, customs delays, the loss of fishing rights and a ban on the transport of horses to the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a paper drawn up in Whitehall has warned.

Michael Gove’s Brexit operations committee has compiled a list of the issues that Dublin will face in a no-deal Brexit, to be used as “leverage” during last-ditch discussions in the event that negotiations break down.

The Times understands that issues raised by ministers include:

• The fact that 60 per cent of Ireland’s medicines come from the UK.

• Customs checks causing lengthy delays on the bridge to Holyhead, from where freight traffic travels to Ireland.

• The potential loss of fishing…

Want to read more?

Don't have access to article though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Which is it?

Slow your roll.

The Indy campaign was told they would be chucked from Europe and that the Tories would keep them in

Better together or don't you recall

Are you attempting to rewrite history.. considering of course you voted to remain and that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If there is no bread (UK flour) then we shall eat brioche (French flour).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The threats begin...

Remember I read somewhere that disruption to medical supplies would hit NI too. Such a policy would likely push up support for reunification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Your at least consistent in your anti EU bias.

Amazing how Germany ... The often touted 'owner of the eu' has accepted hundreds of thousands of refugees'

I mean considering your line of thought the owners of the EU wouldn't do that and would just push off responsibilities to other 'lesser' countries.

No ?

Say anything critical about the EU here and you're labeled as having anti EU bias. If you actually look through my posting history you'll actually see that I'm quite pro European, but I'm not so blinded by europhilla that I cannot see that national interests and common interests do not align.

Migration as some say was not an EU competence, but the Dublin Accord, developed through the EU institutions has been a total failure.

And indeed, least we forget Jean Claude Trichet promised that a bomb would go off in Dublin unless the Irish government acquiesced to his demands. That's solidarity with the ordinary Irish citizen yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I’m sure the EU 27 can help us out. We won’t starve bring it on.

And indeed, least we forget Jean Claude Trichet promised that a bomb would go off in Dublin unless the Irish government acquiesced to his demands. That's solidarity with the ordinary Irish citizen yeah?

I agree with you until this point.

Let's be real here - the crisis in Ireland was created in Ireland, no where else through our own economic mismanagement.

I'm amazed we were not turfed out to be honest. I'd argue we should have been having grossly mismanaged our affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Say anything critical about the EU here and you're labeled as having anti EU bias. If you actually look through my posting history you'll actually see that I'm quite pro European, but I'm not so blinded by europhilla that I cannot see that national interests and common interests do not align.

Migration as some say was not an EU competence, but the Dublin Accord, developed through the EU institutions has been a total failure.

Your posting history through multiple threads is very much anti EU. You put a thin veneer on your questions that's evident.

You conveniently side stepped my point about not throwing the Italians under the bus.

And anyway brexit thread. The EU are with Ireland as everyone said they would and you've been talking it down as if they wouldn't for years. Still wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

They were campaigning to leave in a period of economic and political security not so long ago. Now they are using brexit as their own project fear. You can't have it both ways ...

You can. This Brexit farce, the incompetence of a Tory government and the paralysis of Westminster in the face of English nationalism has proven that Scotland's economic and political security is seriously threatened by continued participation in the United Kingdom. If IndyRef-1 had been won, Scotland would have been on the road to independence now, and more than likely fast-tracking itself back into the EU.

The promised loss of NI would likely turn many remainers to leave. That historical stone around our neck has been slowing us for a very long time. You guys are welcome to it. It's not a part of the union. Just a war trophy.
    Have you instructed your MP (or even your PM) to make that clear to the DUP? Because they're reallly, really, proud of their Scottish heritage.

Your posting history through multiple threads is very much anti EU. You put a thin veneer on your questions that's evident.

You conveniently side stepped my point about not throwing the Italians under the bus.

And anyway brexit thread. The EU are with Ireland as everyone said they would and you've been talking it down as if they wouldn't for years. Still wrong
    If you owe the bank a few thousand, it's your problem; if you owe the bank hundreds of millions, it's the bank's problem.

bank = EU in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I know. Hence my incredulity at everyone on here singing the praises of one while shouting shame at the other.

I'm going to presume that you're being disingenuous here. What I was saying is that the Brexit vote made no sense and had no proper thought or rationale behind it. It was based upon a misinformed concept of Europe that has been peddled for thirty years by some of the UKs now leading politicians. No one understood why the UK wanted it, the UK had no idea of the cost bar a misinformed hatred of a misconceptualised version of Europe, and as has been proven repeatedly over the past few years don't actually know a damn thing about how it works.

Economic and political pragmatism kept Scotland in the UK in 2014, and what I was suggesting is that a hatred of what a few mostly English privately educated politicians is doing is creating the environment by which any and all economic and political pragmatism will be buried under resentment and lead to a new Scottish independence vote.

Just to clear that up.

The mirror so salt included but I’d say this exactly 100% accurate.

https://twitter.com/trevdick/status/1180845344223059969?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Why do people keep peddling this nonsense?

Trichet was not making "demands". He was pointing out the inevitable consequences in the money markets if Ireland defaulted on commercial debt. And he helped us manage not to.

The EU has thrown nobody under a bus; it has pulled a few members out from under the buses they found for themselves - and suggested how they could avoid doing so in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The threats begin...

They've been ongoing for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

First Up wrote: »
    Why do people keep peddling this nonsense?

Trichet was not making "demands". He was pointing out the inevitable consequences in the money markets if Ireland defaulted on commercial debt. And he helped us manage not to.

The EU has thrown nobody under a bus; it has pulled a few members out from under the buses they found for themselves - and suggested how they could avoid doing so in future.

Trichets threat was that the ECB would withdrawal the emergency liquidity from the Irish banks which would, in turn, have caused the total paralysis of the Irish economy. Irish banks weren't in the money markets at the time.

Solidarity was paying 6.5% interest.

First and foremost, the the EU institutions protect themselves, and if that aligns with national interests then it's a happy coincidence. As I've said, the position the EU came to take was not a given, it could've just as easily taken an approach hat protecting the market and trade was more important than any other concern and probably would be in the greater interest of more Europeans than just the Irish. It was the Irish government that made the border a central plank of the EUs Brexit strategy and they should be lauded for that.

And it's not anti-EU to state this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Remember I read somewhere that disruption to medical supplies would hit NI too. Such a policy would likely push up support for reunification.

Shortages of medicine have already hit here in Northern Ireland. Herself is on Hormone Replacement Therapy and the prescriptions recently cannot be fully supplied be the local pharmacy. They blame Brexit inspired stockpiling by other outfits.

Me, I well remember the problems we had here with political inspired industrial action in 1974. I keep an eye on supplies in the likes of ASDA and the queues at fuel filling stations.

I almost hope that some panic buying would set in in England so that Boris could see what could result from his policies.

Iderown wrote: »

Shortages of medicine have already hit here in Northern Ireland. Herself is on Hormone Replacement Therapy and the prescriptions recently cannot be fully supplied be the local pharmacy. They blame Brexit inspired stockpiling by other outfits.

Me, I well remember the problems we had here with political inspired industrial action in 1974. I keep an eye on supplies in the likes of ASDA and the queues at fuel filling stations.

I almost hope that some panic buying would set in in England so that Boris could see what could result from his policies.

HRT shortages are nothing to do with brexit. It is a temporary production issues confirmed by manufacturers and has never been attributed to brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

HRT shortages are nothing to do with brexit. It is a temporary production issues confirmed by manufacturers and has never been attributed to brexit.

So there is a well known production shortage and you don't think that stockpiling due to the expected issues with Brexit are not going to make it worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Iderown wrote: »

Johnson doesn't care. He went to Eton and Oxford. He lives in an elitist bubble. How Joe Soap lives his life is beyond his comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

To which the response should be as some say in the gaming community: "Get Rekt". As far as things stand they have zero leverage if they insist on this suicide run for the satisfaction of their own egos they will be forced back and this time there will be punitive damages all while fighting a Scotish Indyref 2 and Irish Reunification/Border Poll.

Leroy42 wrote: »

So there is a well known production shortage and you don't think that stockpiling due to the expected issues with Brexit are not going to make it worse?

Who is stockpiling? The issue is well known here <in Great Britain> where we have the same shortages. You think hrt is our priority when stockpiling drugs? It's a non essential treatment. I'll listen when we have life saving drugs in short supply but this is a non starter. Nobody anywhere, not even women's groups, menopause charities, manufacturers, government or media has suggested this is a brexit issue so let's put the nonsense to bed right there shall we?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Here you go
    Ireland warned to expect disruption to medicines and fishing in no-deal Brexit
    new
    Steven Swinford, Deputy Political Editor | Henry Zeffman, Political Correspondent | The Times

October 6 2019, 6:00pm, The Sunday Times

The Republic of Ireland will face potential disruption of medical supplies, customs delays, the loss of fishing rights and a ban on the transport of horses to the UK in the event of a no-deal Brexit, a paper drawn up in Whitehall has warned.

Michael Gove’s Brexit operations committee has compiled a list of the issues that Dublin will face in a no-deal Brexit, to be used as “leverage” during last-ditch discussions in the event that negotiations break down.

The Times understands that issues raised by ministers include:

• The fact that 60 per cent of Ireland’s medicines come from the UK.

• Customs checks causing lengthy delays on the bridge to Holyhead, from where freight traffic travels to Ireland.

• The potential loss of fishing rights off the coast of Northern Ireland.

• Disruption to “equine transport” between the Republic and the UK.

Ministers are also considering a range of “sweeteners” to offer Dublin, including a commitment to help fund the infrastructure needed to enforce customs checks between the North and South.

Stephen Barclay, the Brexit secretary, suggested that Britain could amend its proposals to give Northern Irish parties a veto on the regulations that apply in the province after Brexit.

Speaking this morning on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show, Mr Barclay said: “The key issue is the principle of consent. That’s why the backstop was rejected three times. That was the concern in terms of both sides in Northern Ireland not approving of the backstop.

“So the key is the principle of consent. Now, of course in the mechanism, as part of the intensive negotiations, we can look at that and discuss that.”

Mr Barclay reiterated that Northern Ireland giving consent to abiding by regulations set in Brussels was “the key issue of principle” but added that “we can obviously as part of the intense negotiations in the coming days discuss that mechanism”.

Under the existing UK proposal, Northern Ireland’s Stormont assembly would vote every four years on whether to remain aligned with the EU’s single market rules for goods. But the Irish government opposes this, as does every major Northern Irish party but for the DUP, the Conservatives’ allies in Westminster.

Asked if the government was “going to move” on its current proposal, Mr Barclay said: “Well, we’ve set out a broad landing zone, so in the detail of the negotiations of course we can get into the detail as to how operationally they work [and] what legal certainty is required by the commission as of October 31.

“But the point is the commission themselves proposed customs checks away from the border, and in terms of the all-of-Ireland economy that would have had a bigger impact in terms of trade to Great Britain than it does to Northern Ireland.”

The comments on the article are something else :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement