Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We know Laura isn’t exactly impartial journalistically speaking but an interesting thread. ‘Sources’ (eyeroll) tell her (I’m weirdly specific detail, Johnson back to calling Merkel this morning only to be told what he’s been told repeatedly before. And he resorts to petty threats and blame.
    I’m come to the conclusion it’s not that they’re acting in bad faith, Johnson and co simply don’t understand how any of this works at all.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1181495898431528960?s=21

When will people get it through their skulls.

The fox is in the hen house and they're in charge. They don't want a deal there is hundreds of millions invested in it being pulled off.

I'm in no doubt their is orders of yachts placed ready for monoco or whatever sun drenched destination that they can find. These people will never be touched by brexit they all only ever stand to gain from it.

The talks. The deals it's all a big charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

a lot of people who should know better by now are overthinking this British proposal.
    it is so ludicrous it was obviously designed to fail, Johnson could then spin the failure this as the EU's fault, it could then subsequently spin the sending of the extension letter as parliaments fault.
    election campaigning position: this is all the fault of parliament and the EU give me a majority in the election and ill go back to Brussels and show them who's boss. what ever you do dont vote for the BP as it will spit the leave vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,809 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1181498451105910784

I wonder are we close to the point where the EU suspends 'negotiations'?

They say they don't want 'no deal' but they are also participating in a sham by the UK at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's actually discussion around if this actually happened as it was leaked to Laura Kuennsberg, or if the words are being twisted by the UK, ignoring any nuance in the conversation, with their rush to leak it out pretty quickly.

The German gov usually publish any such conversations on one of their websites and it's not there yet.

Laura Kuennsberg can't be trusted to be fair.
    Just regurgitates whatever her 'sources' tell her.
    Unbelievable she is BBC political editor - she's useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No more tweets like this please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

They say they don't want 'no deal' but they are also participating in a sham by the UK at this point.

Honestly I would say the EU will just sit on their hands and let Johnson back out, at which point he will presumbaly make some statement about standing up to EU technocrats...obstructing will of people...etc. etc.

Now, the real question is how would the EU manage to get consensus on offering any kind of extension if the Benn proposals go through? I'm not sure that there's much appetite left for this charade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Now, the real question is how would the EU manage to get consensus on offering any kind of extension if the Benn proposals go through? I'm not sure that there's much appetite left for this charade.

The EU have already signalled that they will grant an extension for an election or referendum. The question is how long - the UK will request up to Jan 31st, but I think the EU will go longer, maybe next Halloween, so they don't have to bother with the UK for a few months while they hold an election and another referendum.

The EU has no business suspending negotiations. It should not voluntarily arm Brexit extremists with something that could be weaponised as propaganda. Just maintain the same position it always has.

Ready to do real business when the UK stops negotiating with itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

[url]

I don't really believe anything in the UK govs statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1181498839716503553?s=19

It's a nonsense statement. Anyone with a semblance of intelligence would know Merkel wouldn't come out and say that.

By the by, "A Number 10 source", do the government ever make actual statements or is it communication by anonymous sources all the time?

• Advertisement

[url]

I find all of that very very hard to believe.

Fabricating conversations with the leaders of other countries is surely the point of no return right? It's a diplomatic outrage.

I'm seriously staggered at that.

This could be an interesting thread to follow to see if this conversation does indeed check out

https://twitter.com/HeleneBismarck/status/1181500574040297472

lawred2 wrote: »
    I find all of that very very hard to believe.

Fabricating conversations with other the leaders of other countries is surely the point of no return right? It's a diplomatic outrage.

I'm seriously staggered at that.

So too are those in the EU
    [URL]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

[url]

The very last bit. The Eu have said no deal.
    The Eu also said they are happy to torpedo the GFA

Ffs this is pure double speak

Brexit readiness document to be published today, at 12:30 apparently.

The very last bit. The Eu have said no deal.
    The Eu also said they are happy to torpedo the GFA

Ffs this is pure double speak

completely contradictory

This looks like a fabricated conversation. This will lead to a full on diplomatic breakdown. Cummings has seriously overreached himself.

A genius he isn't.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    It's a nonsense statement. Anyone with a semblance of intelligence would know Merkel wouldn't come out and say that.

By the by, "A Number 10 source", do the government ever make actual statements or is it communication by anonymous sources all the time?

Sure they don't need to. One of the lads sends Laura K an email or a whatsapp and - hey presto - unofficial statement/ propaganda piece.

Tony on the ball on that spectator ‘blog’

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1181502795381379075?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,058 ✭✭✭✭listermint

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Sure they don't need to. One of the lads sends Laura K an email or a whatsapp and - hey presto - unofficial statement/ propaganda piece.

Won't be via email.

Telegram or some other private non traceable messaging service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

SNIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

How can LauraK justify sending out totally one sided and uncoberated tweets?

No checking of accuracy, no checking for multiple sources. Did she even reach out to Katya (for example) for her reading of it?

It is highly dangerous the way she is carrying.

Knew it. Orchestrated. Minutes after that story comes Arlene

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1181512257764777985?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Knew it. Orchestrated. Minutes after that story comes Arlene

https://twitter.com/steven_swinford/status/1181512257764777985?s=21

We are entering the end game now. They don't want a deal are going to insult , bride or blackmail their way to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How can LauraK justify sending out totally one sided and uncoberated tweets?

No checking of accuracy, no checking for multiple sources. Did she even reach out to Katya (for example) for her reading of it?

It is highly dangerous the way she is carrying.

Never mind tweets, it's concerning that this is the headline on the public broadcaster's website based on unnamed sources on one side of a conversation.

For all the talk of BBC journalistic standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The BBC are being used as the propaganda mouthpiece, a role they performed well during the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum and reprise here for Brexit

The BBC are being used as the propaganda mouthpiece, a role they performed well during the 2014 Scottish Independence referendum and reprise here for Brexit

Flicking through twitter and their journos tweets all have Eu want to torpedo the GFA in them.

Not even questioning. Just repeating what they’re being fed. Blame game in full throttle now

We are entering the end game now. They don't want a deal are going to insult , bride or blackmail their way to it.

It's the political equivalent of a dirty protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lawred2 wrote: »
    This could be an interesting thread to follow to see if this conversation does indeed check out

https://twitter.com/HeleneBismarck/status/1181500574040297472
    It seems that tweet has been deleted. Getting a 404

And replaced with this one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Never mind tweets, it's concerning that this is the headline on the public broadcaster's website based on unnamed sources on one side of a conversation.

For all the talk of BBC journalistic standards.

At the end of the day British State TV is what it says on the tin.

People used to harp on about the great journalistic standards of them but the whole organisation has been different for a number of years now and you cannot compare it to what it was 10 years ago, it's a totally different beast that is now being used to spread government propaganda.

That's probably down to two things, the connections of those who are working for it as well and the fact that it relies on said government for funding. At the end of the day, if the government doesn't like what the BBC is saying, then the BBC might suddenly find that it's funding levels are being reduced.

If you want a beter standard of debate, I'd advise you to watch Sky News and Channel 4. Whilst they are by no means perfect, they give a far better and balanced view than British State TV does at the moment.

The BBC could also learn from the attached file.

• Advertisement

Flicking through twitter and their journos tweets all have Eu want to torpedo the GFA in them.

Not even questioning. Just repeating what they’re being fed. Blame game in full throttle now

The good thing is though is there's an even bigger amount of UK analysts, commentators and journalists saying what Laura K is claiming stinks. They don't even refer to it as coming from the government, but Cummings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement