Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

Daemonic wrote: »
    My orders from amazon.de last year stopped off at East Midlands airport. I recall because it seemed stuck there for 24hrs and the clock was ticking.

East Midlands airport is the DHL hub, so presumably it was airfreight. I guess those huge logistics companies have plans in place??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

liamtech wrote: »
    Is timing not a serious issue for this though? I completely accept what you are saying and i agree with it but take this hypothetical Calendar as an example

Saturday 19Th - Still no deal, no vote to accept no deal - Benn Act comes into force

Sunday 20th - Its sunday nothing will happen

Monday 21st - PM Still hasnt asked for extension - refuses to take questions - cabinet is secluded

Tuesday - 22nd Opposition Demand action or they will return to court - still no action by BoJo

Wednesday 23rd- Court of sessions as you highlighted are involved, lets assume for a moment that BoJo is waffling about being in 'Extremely Tight Negotiations - mustn't lose face, typical Bojo nonsense etc'

Thursday 24th - Scottish Court issue 48hrs order wherein PM must comply

Friday 25th - Further Demands and reminders of Deadline

Saturday 26th - Deadline expires - assume perhaps HOC is sitting - demands made and rejected - PM Announces he will challenge Scottish court in Supreme court

Sunday 27th - Sunday Nothing happens

Monday 28th - Supreme court Kicks off - and thats assuming it even can start a new case that quickly - if not then No-Deal goes through by default

Tuesday 29th - Supreme Court in session with both sides arguing

Wednesday 30th - See above, more arguing in court

Thursday 31st
    BDAY - at this point is there time to get an extension that can be agreed??? By all 27?

If i were the EU i would, given this PM's deliberate attempts to muck about, and his willingness to lie - the EU should now agree that if an extension is requested by the UK, it is automatically accepted - This can be done whereby the EU27 simply agree that in the case of it being requested for the reasons outlined in the Benn act, and that accepting a UK Election and/or change of government is immanent - that under said circumstances an extension is permissible and has been PRE-APPROVED

EDIT - of course if the opposition parties let it go this far without a VONC, and a care- taker pm, then they must hold part of the blame
    - They will have allowed BJ to steer the UK off the cliff
    - They will have refused a VONC on the basis that they cant agree on supporting Corbyn as caretaker

The court would issue it's order on the 21st giving most likely 48 hours to comply, by the 24 nob off could be used then instead.

The PM can't just decide to involve the SC, he would need leave of the Inner House to do so. There is no guarantee they would allow especially considering the timeframe, in any case an order issued still applies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

It doesn't matter how many warehouses Amazon have in France.
    For the Irish consumer it matters if those goods can get to Ireland.

I think you might have missed the relevance of my reference to the airport ... ;)

Presumably the opposition would seek a court hearing next week, which would be scheduled for the 21st, in order to deliver an instant ruling should Johnson refuse to seek the extension.

The court is continuing the case on the 21st and will be issuing it's orders based on Johnson refusing to seek on an extension.

My understanding is that this case will not go to the UK Supreme Court as NobOff has no equivalence in the rest of the UK and the court that ruled today is the highest court in Scotland

It most definitely can go to the SC, the SC is the final court of appeal for any court in the UK and if it did hear the appeal would be dealing in Scotts law.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    I thought the decision today by the Scottish court was that they were just going to sit on it for a while so that there is no need to resubmit the case on the 19th. The judges just pull it out from their in tray and crack on with issuing their judgement in order to save time?

Edit:

They are just delaying the issuing of their judgement, and also not giving an answer regarding what that might be as if they said they would request the extension then it lets Johnson off the hook. Decision has almost certainly been made, just not being issued until needed.

Correct, I posted on the judgement in this post:-

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111465933&postcount=4038

The last paragraph of today's judgement reads:-
    The court will for these reasons continue consideration of the reclaiming motion and the petition to the nobile officium until Monday, 21 October, by which time the position ought to be significantly clearer. At that time the court will expect to be addressed on the facts as they then present themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Shelga wrote: »
    I don’t think it can be said enough- Brexit has got to be the stupidest, most pointless domestic decision taken by any western democracy in modern history.
    It's even more stupid on the island of Ireland. Something that's needs to be said repeatedly to every single DUP spokesperson that appears on our tv or radio by the interviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It doesn't matter how many warehouses Amazon have in France.
    For the Irish consumer it matters if those goods can get to Ireland.

If you take away the benefits of the landbridge overnight, which is what no deal would do, you will struggle to replace the capacity on other routes.

I'm not saying other routes and other options are no available, I'm saying in the short term, especially in the run up the Christmas those routes will come under serious pressure if the landbridge is essentially "degraded"
    But there are other routes. That have been beefed up and expanded to take up what goes through the landbridge. That's what the realignment of the North Sea-Mediterranean corridor was all about. And that was completed last September. There are new routes from Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Zeebrugge and massive RoRo ferries tasked to those routes. And just recently a new route from Le Havre to Rosslare was opened up. The capacity is there right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Scottish government publishes a map showing Brexit vulnerability by geographic area:

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/35590be803944353a244cccd0d8f78e0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

In regards to the medicines I thought the gov had already sourced alternatives from Europe and undertaken dummy runs to ensure the supply would be unaffected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So Leo and Johnson to meet tomorrow at an undisclosed location in North West England, rumoured to be Liverpool, where at least one of those leaders won't be welcomed by the locals.
    The mayor of Liverpool...
    [url]

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post with insults deleted. No more please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Someone has to be the grown up, plus I've no doubt our government has been in touch with all the other political parties up north and he's their voice at the negotiating table.

I don't think anything is to be read into the location other than it's away from the UKs seat of government, it's a physical manifestation of the EU's metaphorical tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just to reiterate the point about Johnson getting his deal through parliament,

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1181947474832953345?s=20

That is Guy Verhofstadt basically stating any Labour MP voting for this deal when they didn't May's would be strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1181872209381466112

Tories continue to split. At this rate the solution to Brexit is just to wait for everyone to defect to the Lib Dems

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/oct/09/brexit-latest-news-boris-johnson-plans-emergency-saturday-sitting-of-parliament-after-eu-summit-live-news?page=with:block-5d9dfa3d8f084862358faeb5#block-5d9dfa3d8f084862358faeb5
    Boris Johnson has promised centrist Conservative MPs he will not go into an election arguing for a no-deal Brexit and would never make a pact with Nigel Farage

I'm confused about this unless he's muttering under his breath because we'll have left before the GE. Does anyone think they know what his plan is?

I'm confused about this unless he's muttering under his breath because we'll have left before the GE. Does anyone think they know what his plan is?

This is the thing now, who is "he"? Some are saying the government is split and there's two running in parallel with two different targets. A thread about it here.

[url]

[url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Scottish government publishes a map showing Brexit vulnerability by geographic area:

http://scotgov.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/35590be803944353a244cccd0d8f78e0

So... Basically the whole of Scotland then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Just after watching a clip of Belinda de Lucy(Brexit Party), recently elected MEP, having a go at the undemocratic EU institutions. Previosu to this she called out Barnier for referring to the UK negotiating team as British. If I'm not mistaken this is the party who when asked why no candidates in NI stated it was because they were a British party. Still trying to find the report of this so feel free to correct me if I am wrong!

Then I see this, at which point I just feel like giving up.

https://twitter.com/Wirralpix/status/1181685542557290497

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

J Mysterio wrote: »

Just on that. This is great. Scotland should get its independence first and UI will soon follow

https://twitter.com/brexitbin/status/1181713779681349634?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

Just on that. This is great. Scotland should get its independence first and UI will soon follow

Sturgeon has made a few trips to Brussels in the past and while obviously I don't know what happened in those meetings I find it hard to believe that she would be so public about wanting a second independence referendum if and when brexit happens if she did not have assurances from Brussels that Scotland would be fast tracked back into the EU as an independent country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Just after watching a clip of Belinda de Lucy(Brexit Party), recently elected MEP, having a go at the undemocratic EU institutions. Previosu to this she called out Barnier for referring to the UK negotiating team as British. If I'm not mistaken this is the party who when asked why no candidates in NI stated it was because they were a British party. Still trying to find the report of this so feel free to correct me if I am wrong!
    I think it was said on BBC Radio 5

eire4 wrote: »
    Sturgeon has made a few trips to Brussels in the past and while obviously I don't know what happened in those meetings I find it hard to believe that she would be so public about wanting a second independence referendum if and when brexit happens if she did not have assurances from Brussels that Scotland would be fast tracked back into the EU as an independent country.

They couldn’t have backed her during Indy ref the first. UK was a member and Eu doesn’t act against members.

Now though? They can give Scottish independence full support. And personally delighted to see it. I’d say they’re going to have that referendum even without the ‘required permission’ of parliament. They’ll be fast tracked into EU too.
    That’ll be a serious bloody nose for that strange breed of brexiter that demands ‘freedom and independence from the EU’ but refuse utterly to let Scottish independence and freedom of the UK happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭maebee

Is this new or does it date back to 2017?

maebee wrote: »
    Is this new or does it date back to 2017?

Posted today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

J Mysterio wrote: »

Looking for money.

The irony of how many people were championing yes for an independent scotland who are now screaming that brexit won't work.

How they thought they were a special case with magical EU entry powers is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

gooch2k9 wrote: »

Her in action

https://twitter.com/StandUp4Brexit/status/1181982091388559360

She's definitely become one of the most prominent Brexit Party MEPs. I bet we won't have seen the last of her when they've gone out either!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Looking for money.

The irony of how many people were championing yes for an independent scotland who are now screaming that brexit won't work.

How they thought they were a special case with magical EU entry powers is beyond me.

They literally would be a special case as the only constituent part of an EU member state to declare independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Podge_irl wrote: »
    They literally would be a special case as the only constituent part of an EU member state to declare independence.

while true in that regard, they were told by the EU it was no dice if they voted yes. Spain had the veto sitting in writing just waiting incase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tony Blair on the Andrew Neil Show right now.

Blair saying he wants the referendum before an election but I can't see that happening. Think a referendum only gets considered if an election brings about another stalemate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

while true in that regard, they were told by the EU it was no dice if they voted yes. Spain had the veto sitting in writing just waiting incase.

Yes they did, though at that stage it would essentially have come down to diplomacy. It is hard to imagine a soon-to-be independent Scotland being as bad at it as the current UK government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement