Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hazys wrote: »
    I was in Idaho Falls last week (on my way to Yellowstone) and in a coffee shop the lady behind the counter told me "Ireland is the only European country me and my husband would like to visit". Kinda funny she compliments Ireland while throwing shade at the rest of Europe but its not surprising considering its big MAGA territory with the Gun store next door to the coffee shop that they probably hate liberal Europe while still romanticizing about Ireland.

I live in Boston so you get people wearing the ear off ya talking about Ireland all the time but the American love for Ireland spreads far out from the major Irish hubs of Boston, NYC and Chicago.

I was told by an American (one of German/Swiss/Austrian descent) earlier this week as we talked about Brexit and what Bonnie Greer said.
    He said to me Ireland is revered in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bambi wrote: »
    To report the government line straight from an off the record briefing? People criticize the BBC journos for doing the same thing. While there's less kite flying and blaggarding with Connelly, he's not doing anything too dissimilar.

Who else could brief him but the Irish Govt? There were only Irish and British govt officials present at the discussions. It's either that or not report on the meeting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Varadkar has sent sterling soaring

https://www.investing.com/currencies/gbp-eur

Hopefully it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bambi wrote: »
    To report the government line straight from an off the record briefing? People criticize the BBC journos for doing the same thing. While there's less kite flying and blaggarding with Connelly, he's not doing anything too dissimilar.
    There's a lot less likelihood of Tony Connelly swallowing a line of bullsh1t without question than LauraK swallowing it whole and regurgitating it undigested. He's well capable of dissecting this stuff and pointing out where it doesn't stack up. Leaks are part of the 'game'. It's important to know who to trust and who not to when they are reported.

Varadkar has sent sterling soaring

https://www.investing.com/currencies/gbp-eur

Hopefully it's true.
    In all this brexit madness, I'd never have expected to see somebody saying this and it being true. Bizarre and surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I have every faith that Barclays meeting tomorrow with Barnier will dispel today's slight optimism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

davedanon wrote: »
    The tired old 'little Leo will do as he's told by his masters in Germany and France' trope again?
    Do you think Leo would be allowed to agree something with the Brits without it being approved by the EU? That is the reality , its a trope because its true.
    TWhy would Leo be trying to strike a deal with Boris as some sort of junior partner? We are the EU. The EU is us. This patronising nonsense about the 'power relationship' between the big and small EU nations is really annoying. The second a big EU nation bullies a smaller one around, the whole project is as good as dead. Every EU nation has an equal say, and an equal vote. Why can't people get their heads around this?
    Do you really believe that smaller countries have the same influence as say a bigger country like Germany or France and that pressure cannot be brought to influence the smaller nations. That is just the way of the world.
    I don't know what was going on today, probably just some political manoeuvring, and the reported movement on the British side, if true, is the only other plausible expanation. Leo did not go over there cap in hand to get fobbed off by some Boris bull****, that's for sure.
    We will see but the UK are already rolling back on the briefings that Irish journalist have been given from Leo.

moon2 wrote: »
    This assumes the government are completely naive. Despite the weeks of lies and retractions from the UK you're assuming that our government well and truly believe that this is on the road to be resolved and the UK are on board.

Perhaps a more accurate reading of the events of today would be to assume everyone is aware of the (apparent) lies which spread from Boris and his team, and this is a way to put Ireland/Europe ahead of the next round of "Europe collapsed the talks" finger pointing.

The government are briefing journalist that the UK has conceded on the CU and the SM. The UK are saying no, someone is fibbing.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I have every faith that Barclays meeting tomorrow with Barnier will dispel today's slight optimism.
    Very slight. As others have pointed out, this could just be Leo getting the retaliation in first. Number 10 then scurrying around with the buckets of cold water. But ball firmly back in their court and they have to wobble out of talks with Barnier and try and blame the EU for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭prunudo

woohoo!!! wrote: »

As bad as Johnson is, I think Barclay and Raab are half the reason we are in the situation we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Gintonious wrote: »
    Yep. He's always clear and concise

Do you think Leo would be allowed to agree something with the Brits without it being approved by the EU? That is the reality , its a trope because its true.
    Of course it has to be approved by the EuCo. But on the matter of the border, Varadkar's pov would hold a lot of weight. So long as it doesn't impact on the integrity of the SM. Which would also be in our interest.
    Do you really believe that smaller countries have the same influence as say a bigger country like Germany or France and that pressure cannot be brought to influence the smaller nations. That is just the way of the world.
    That's why alliances are formed. It used to be we'd line up with the UK where our views aligned. These days we tend to work with the Baltic states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

The government are briefing journalist that the UK has conceded on the CU and the SM. The UK are saying no, someone is fibbing.

DUP wont accept that

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'd be surprised if Leo has fallen victim to Boris's charms & wiles, you'd think he'd be more canny that that. Beware perfidious Albion etc. He'd want to be careful not to become the Michael Collins of his time, come back with a great deal and be slaughtered by SF and FF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

briany wrote: »
    Given the UK government's track record on general honesty, I'd be concerned that Johnson's just promising things in order to give the impression that things are moving forward and therefore not have to ask for the extension. And that would be highly dangerous.

There seemed to be some misunderstanding over the last few days about something the 'Irish had agreed to'. I hope the UK don't take their apparent misunderstanding as a justification to renege on anything on their side.

Varadkar certainly seemed pretty happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

liamtech wrote: »
    DUP wont accept that

Aren't they irrelevant now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The government are briefing journalist that the UK has conceded on the CU and the SM.

No, they haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Just caught the tail-end of Pat Leahy on BBC News - appeared to be suggesting NI would be a joint customs area of both the UK and the EU? Would certainly satisfy all parties, but not aware of any international precedent for such an arrangement.

Aren't they irrelevant now?

Sort of, but they hold a lot of sway with the Hard Brexiteer wing of the Tories. Will they abandon them?

Hurrache wrote: »
    No, they haven't.
    Where is Pat Leahy getting his info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

DUP wont accept that

Nobody cares anymore. They became irrelevant the second Boris lost his majority.

Just caught the tail-end of Pat Leahy on BBC News - appeared to be suggesting NI would be a joint customs area of both the UK and the EU? Would certainly satisfy all parties, but not aware of any international precedent for such an arrangement.

How would that be different than NI staying in the customs union and single market? Would it mean being different to Yorkshire or London, isn't that what the DUPers object to?

Laura K must have fallen out of favour, but here's the second best thing
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1182360788998279168?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Sort of, but they hold a lot of sway with the Hard Brexiteer wing of the Tories. Will they abandon them?

A clever thing Boris did was give Priti and Mogg nice juicy positions in Government. Those 2 will keep the hard brexiters in line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

BarryD2 wrote: »
    How would that be different than NI staying in the customs union and single market? Would it mean being different to Yorkshire or London, isn't that what the DUPers object to?

I suppose, unlike the backstop, they would still be in sync with the UK, and presumably both the UK and EU would have to concur on how any changes would affect NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

DUP wont accept that

Doesnt matter. They had their chance and they acted petulant and stupid. Under the bus they go. As for everyone else theyre gonna work the problems out if they can but headbangers need to be sidelined in order for this mess to be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

What a tangled web we weave.

This bit. Somebody was casting shade on Tony Connelly and Pat Leahy earlier, just read this. Laura K has serious competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This bit. Somebody was casting shade on Tony Connelly and Pat Leahy earlier, just read this. Laura K has serious competition

He got a lot of criticism in the UK after Johnson became PM due to his sycophancy in both TV and written from. I see he's a little more sceptic about what he's fed in this tweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement