Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

Infini wrote: »
    Doesnt matter. They had their chance and they acted petulant and stupid. Under the bus they go. As for everyone else theyre gonna work the problems out if they can but headbangers need to be sidelined in order for this mess to be sorted.

I wouldn't even say the DUP are being thrown under the bus. Getting thrown under the bus implies some sort of wanton harm being done; a callous act. Maybe the DUP's wishes are being thrown under the bus, but that's a bit different.

You wouldn't describe it as throwing a child under the bus by making them eat their vegetables. Yes, they may not want to do it, but it's really quite beneficial. Same thing with the DUP - they can rant and rave, and scream and shout, but hopefully they'll have to eat their spinach anyway. It's what the majority in the North want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

DUP surprisingly quiet thus far - must be as much in the dark as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hurrache wrote: »
    Laura K must have fallen out of favour, but here's the second best thing
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1182360788998279168?s=19

He's essentially saying Johnson could genuinely be seeking a deal but it might also be a scam/ con job to get the Tory rebels off his back this weekend and to buy himself some more time.

Only Johnson / Cummings know what the real strategy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Ireland leading the race to be the next country out of the EU.......................that's according to......Andrew Brdigen

https://twitter.com/nealerichmond/status/1182219518837481472

In this instance, it is worth clicking through to listen to the piece where he says it.
    Outside from nonsense about Ireland being out in the Atlantic, he talks about how simultaneously, a European army is going to be a big problem for Ireland and that we will have to have a referendum in order to join it and that we are not unknown to vote against the EU. Surely that implies we would not vote to join the army if we have a problem with it Andrew?

I just listened to it on your recommendation.

I think literally every sentence he utters contains a factual inaccuracy - not a difference of opinion, but something that’s demonstrably false. It’s remarkable. It’s almost a piece of art.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The only thing that would make Varadkar come out the way he did today imo would be NI staying in the SM/CU.

So Johnson obviously said as much to him but like May before him Johnson doesn't understand NI/ROI, the border or the DUP. So I imagine this will all fall to **** pretty soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Strazdas wrote: »
    He's essentially saying Johnson could genuinely be seeking a deal but it might also be a scam/ con job to get the Tory rebels off his back this weekend and to buy himself some more time.

Only Johnson / Cummings know what the real strategy is.

I think Johnson is a glove puppet at this stage. Cummings is running the show.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Now maybe this should belong in conspiracy theories...

But is there any chance this is a ruse by the Tory party? If they claim they have a deal and it's not fully signed and delivered by the time he is supposed to send a letter, then Boris can argue that he doesn't need to send a letter because there is not going to be no deal and it just needs a few days.

Then perhaps he could back out at the last minute of which there is no time for anyone to do anything about it. Just when they're talking about getting round the law somehow and not wanting to say how, you have to be very suspicious of any move that they make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

devnull wrote: »
    Now maybe this should belong in conspiracy theories...

But is there any chance this is a ruse by the Tory party? If they claim they have a deal and it's not fully signed and delivered by the time he is supposed to send a letter, then Boris can argue that he doesn't need to send a letter because there is not going to be no deal and it just needs a few days.

Then perhaps he could back out at the last minute of which there is no time for anyone to do anything about it. Just when they're talking about getting round the law somehow and not wanting to say how, you have to be very suspicious of any move that they make.

Any deal will need an extension. There simply isn't enough time to get all the parliaments etc to approve it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is 100% correct it has to be said...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1182363274043678720

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Any deal will need an extension. There simply isn't enough time to get all the parliaments etc to approve it

That's my point.

Boris still is saying that do or die they are leaving on 31st October so the only way that can be is with No Deal, so that's why there's a conspiracy theory I've read in the few places.

The theory is that pretending there is a deal which delays the formal signing of it past the agreed date for asking for an extension and then backing out at the last moment is a vehicle to get around the Benn bill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Hurrache wrote: »
    Laura K must have fallen out of favour, but here's the second best thing

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1182360788998279168?s=19

looks like Leo has been used as a pawn in BJ's political shenanigans, bet you he didn't even understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I think this is a typical Borris stunt. He has promised LV something that he has no intention of delivering. Will renege privately, the deal will collapse and a torrent of blame and abuse will descend on LV and Ireland in general.

Kalyke wrote: »
    I think this is a typical Borris stunt. He has promised LV something that he has no intention of delivering. Will renege privately, the deal will collapse and a torrent of blame and abuse will descend on LV and Ireland in general.

There is no deal.

Consent and customs still to be resolved.

Varadkar said this after the meeting. He was not as positive as the media are making out.

Nor was the statement as positive as the media making out either.

looks like Leo has been used as a pawn in BJ's political shenanigans, bet you he didn't even understand.

You mean that Johnson will renege on any offers he made to the taoiseach? Sure we all know that. He's a proven liar. Leo wast just being statesmanlike and friendly because that's what he should do in contrast to the lying egomaniac standing beside him.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

fash wrote: »
    No we do not. We accepted a bad border deal 100 years ago- and thousands are dead because of it and it resulted in vast economic damage.

Joke of a comment but no surprise it was popular!
    Hundreds of thousands could have died if the unionists and nationalists were forced into a United Ireland in 1923. It would have been all out civil war and far far more than the 3000 or more that died in the recent troubles. Eventually a 6 county solution would be imposed only after we'd finished slaughtering each other.

To call the Treaty a bad deal is foolish and atrocious revisionism. Thankfully we were led by coolheads like Collins at the time and not a fool like De Valera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

You mean that Johnson will renege on any offers he made to the taoiseach? Sure we all know that. He's a proven liar. Leo wast just being statesmanlike and friendly because that's what he should do in contrast to the lying egomaniac standing beside him.

For Ireland there was no advantage to the meeting today. It was a BJ side show to keep his own party off his back. BJ wanted it to look like he was making a deal or that things could progress, he was using Leo as a useful idiot. Leo obliged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

devnull wrote: »
    That's my point.

Boris still is saying that do or die they are leaving on 31st October so the only way that can be is with No Deal, so that's why there's a conspiracy theory I've read in the few places that pretending there is a deal which delays the formal signing of it past the agreed date for asking for an extension and then backing out at the last moment is a vehicle to get around the Benn bill.

I get that but as I said it simply doesn't fly any deal pretend or not would need an extension the first thing the EU would say is great we've a deal just sign this X week extension so we can get this done and dusted and under the Benn act he has to agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Kalyke wrote: »
    Kinda hard for that to happen when Irish seemed so enthusiastic. Hard to say Ireland not flexible Ireland not moving, Ireland bullying, Ireland not really trying to get a deal etc, 10 minutes after Ireland has said negotiations are going great and we'll soon have a result.
    After that, it gets hard for the UK not to engage and for the UK to use intransigence and blame as an excuse to go for no deal. This causes real problems for Johnson's "do or die by October 31"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Is it?

Was there negotiations and has the WA been re-opened?

There's a difference between discussion and negotiation.

As if by magic, these two headlines appear in The Telegraph this evening:

Northern Ireland is a burden on the rest of the UK. We can't let it get in the way of Brexit

Senior Tories' report on scrapping backstop 'ignored' Northern Irish business concerns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Bambi wrote: »
    To report the government line straight from an off the record briefing? People criticize the BBC journos for doing the same thing. While there's less kite flying and blaggarding with Connelly, he's not doing anything too dissimilar.

Nope. Sorry. Tony consistently writes articles and tweets with technical details as to why the latest proposals/rumours will work or not work. His book is a valuable educational tool on the cross border issues created by Brexit. To compare him to Laura “mood music” K is desperately unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,564 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Northern Ireland is a burden on the rest of the UK. We can't let it get in the way of Brexit

Senior Tories' report on scrapping backstop 'ignored' Northern Irish business concerns

God I hope the DUP are screwed, it would be the only good thing the come out of Brexit

It would make me so happy

For Ireland there was no advantage to the meeting today. It was a BJ side show to keep his own party off his back. BJ wanted it to look like he was making a deal or that things could progress, he was using Leo as a useful idiot. Leo obliged.

It was probably party politics. However, Leo had to be seen to engage positively. There's a blame game to be won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No. those were no negotiations : it was two guys walking around the grounds of a hotel at lunchtime and having a chat.

Negotiations would be two teams of officials negotiating for many hours (or even days) around a large conference table.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I just listened to it on your recommendation.

I think literally every sentence he utters contains a factual inaccuracy - not a difference of opinion, not something that’s demonstrably false. It’s remarkable. It’s almost a piece of art.

There isn't the remotest chance of Ireland leaving the EU so his basic premise is flawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GM228 wrote: »
    Is it?

Was there negotiations and has the WA been re-opened?

There's a difference between discussion and negotiation.
    Yeah. Bilateral negotiations implies that there's a capability for decision making. By all means, Varadkar can recommend a negotiating position, but that has to fly with the rest of the EU27 and Barnier's terms of reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Marked difference in how our opposition parties behave in comparison to UK.
    Plenty will question his motives but I'm glad to see a largely cohesive national position.

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1182336404229107712?s=19

Looks a pretty horrid article.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/10/northern-ireland-burden-rest-uk-cant-let-get-way-brexit/

On cue.

All choreographed to sell it to the Brexit base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,640 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One can suspect from this MM was in the loop.
    There was no downside for Ireland in today's meeting. Nobody cares if it went sour and the UK spun lies out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wonder if the ruse here is to get a deal that will obviously be unacceptable to parliament.
    If I understand correctly, the Benn act only forces an extension if he fails to bring back a deal. If he brings back a deal that fails to pass parliament then they are out on 31st.
    The risk here for the UK is that parliament is spooked into passing a deal worse than Mays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement