Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭Enzokk

As is anyone born to a British parent in Switzerland, Somalia or South Carolina.

This is specific to the De Souza case though where she identifies as Irish as is her right. The UK Home Office recognizes this, but still considers her a British Citizen as they say she has to renounce her citizenship first before she is treated as Irish when it comes to immigration rules relating to her partner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Besides, it's not like the DUP's most closely-held traditions even have a place "on the mainland" - you'd be hard pressed to find any British person who could tell you what an Orange parade was, unless maybe they confused it with the F du Citron on the Cd'Azur. :p(worth a visit, if ever you get the chance)

You would not be hard pressed to find someone in Scotland, particularly in Glasgow and the surrounding areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

In that the term is a perfect descriptive for the situation. Nobody was bothered about NI when voting to leave in 2016 so why would they be now?

It's why the term in Irish is sasamach, English out as it is a predominantly English decision. The Welsh were overlooked in the coinage of the term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some in England finally catching on.

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/1183402794704949248

Kudo's Mr Connelly and Fintan O'Toole, amongst many more.
    I hope younger journalists, politicians, diplomats and diplomatic corps are learning from the exemplary work that has been done so far by many representing us.
    Long may it last and hopefully we're not commenting in times to come 'Remember when we had people like.....' because things have taken a turn for the worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,776 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mary Lou McD quite bullish on RTÉ morning Ireland at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Bullish on what?

The Cove didn't seem so bullish earlier this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bullish on what?

Particularly bullish on accepting any veto for Unionists on the island of Ireland.
    Nothing particularly new in what she said tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bullish on what?

The optimism is being replaced with cynicism it seems.

I think the EU negotiation team are rightly fearful that the UK Government is making concessions just to advance the Brexit talks to the next stage without any real plan as to how they can deliver on those concessions.

All the talk this morning has been about how the UK Government has been unable to set out the technical details as to how they will implement their proposed customs and tariffs arrangements. Concessions are useless if they are not deliverable.

It seems to me the EU is gearing up for an extension - no agreement until the technical details have been nailed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,811 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DUP saying they want to be treated the exact same as England.

Boris has to dump the DUP or there won't be a deal the EU can agree to. He'll need to find the votes somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,059 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The optimism is being replaced with cynicism it seems.

I think the EU negotiation team are rightly fearful that the UK Government is making concessions just to advance the Brexit talks to the next stage without any real plan as to how they can deliver on those concessions.

All the talk this morning has been about how the UK Government has been unable to set out the technical details as to how they will implement their proposed customs and tariffs arrangements. Concessions are useless if they are not deliverable.

It seems to me the EU is gearing up for an extension - no agreement until the technical details have been nailed down.

Once you hear that the talks are getting bogged down in ludicrous technical detail and off the wall proposals from the British side, you'd have to fear it's all going nowhere.

It sounds like the old "cake and eat it" stuff. The UK trying to get out of the backstop and replace it with a labyrinth of confusing technical mumbo jumbo.

I suspect the EU are just being polite in saying 'talks are continuing and intensifying' etc. The Brexiteers haven't changed their colours at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Russman

Boris has to dump the DUP or there won't be a deal the EU can agree to. He'll need to find the votes somewhere else.

I honestly can't see him getting the votes to get ANY deal through the HoC at this stage. I could be completely misreading it of course, but it seems like revoke and/or a 2nd referendum are coming more and more into play (albeit still very much on the sidelines). I suspect many remainers who were maybe reluctantly hoping for the softest Brexit possible are now thinking they might just be able to stop the whole thing.

As an aside, with all the election permutations talk of Boris getting a majority if he delivers Brexit by 31st Oct, or being savaged by the BP if he doesn't, or fighting a GE based on a deal he just needs the HoC to approve etc etc., there seems to be no scenario that Labour win a GE, or is there ?, if so, what they heck are they (or even just Momentum) persisting with Corbyn for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Strazdas wrote: »
    Once you hear that the talks are getting bogged down in ludicrous technical detail and off the wall proposals from the British side, you'd have to fear it's all going nowhere.

It sounds like the old "cake and eat it" stuff. The UK trying to get out of the backstop and replace it with a labyrinth of confusing technical mumbo jumbo.

I suspect the EU are just being polite in saying 'talks are continuing and intensifying' etc. The Brexiteers haven't changed their colours at all.

Main headline in The Telegraph, which has become the Brexiteer newsheet, "Fury as EU demands more Brexit concessions from Britain". Didn't take long before the blame game started up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,776 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If corbyn was installed as a temporary PM is there any chance he could revoke art 50 at a stroke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If corbyn was installed as a temporary PM is there any chance he could revoke art 50 at a stroke?

I think since triggering it needed a HoC vote then revoking would need similar and he wouldn't likely have the votes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

That and the fact Corbyn is a brexiteer albeit a different kind

• Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

They aren't enough anyway so they may as well be dropped. However enough people seem to be against a deal on principle to stop it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Rumours that the UK Home Office are gearing up for internment 2.0 if there’s no deal:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomWills/status/1181528753400401920

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,947 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes I was hearing mumbles about the WA A50 on twitter ( veto for NI ) but it has since subsided ... no doubt someone stuck their head out of the underpass ( lol) and told them to shut the fk up

the telegraph going back on message is slightly worrying but they do need to sell papers.

looks a bit like a schrodinger brexit at the moment .... Boris Johnson can claim what he likes until they have to present detailed written proposals to the rest of the EU and that moment is fast approaching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Strazdas wrote: »

Looks like the last few days have been a pointless diversion. Which make you wonder why Varadkar got involved in this scenario, knowing the limitations. Was it just a case of being seen to do something to help the UK?

There is a reasonably clear path from the EU perspective at the moment: Boris waffles on but can't rewrite the withdrawal treaty, the HoC insists that the Benn Act be implemented, an extension is sought and given, a general election follows and possible second referendum on matters relating.

While Varadkar might have felt he was being helpful, really what he's achieved is to bolster the hard Tory line that the UK was prepared to be flexible but that the EU bully boys wouldn't agree. And in doing so, bolstered their election campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,464 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Looks like the last few days have been a pointless diversion. Which make you wonder why Varadkar got involved in this scenario, knowing the limitations. Was it just a case of being seen to do something to help the UK?

There is a reasonably clear path from the EU perspective at the moment: Boris waffles on but can't rewrite the withdrawal treaty, the HoC insists that the Benn Act be implemented, an extension is sought and given, a general election follows and possible second referendum on matters relating.

While Varadkar might have felt he was being helpful, really what he's achieved is to bolster the hard Tory line that the UK was prepared to be flexible but that the EU bully boys wouldn't agree. And in doing so, bolstered their election campaign.

You cannot affect how the UK want the 'talks' to be perceived. Varadkar tried to broker a deal, as he should have done.

Who cares how Brexiteers wish to see that, they are going to do what they want anyway.
    Those who are important will see it for what it is.

• Advertisement

Which make you wonder why Varadkar got involved in this scenario, knowing the limitations. Was it just a case of being seen to do something to help the UK?

avoid blame game in a post-talks-failure-general-election usual poisonous atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's why the term in Irish is sasamach, English out as it is a predominantly English decision. The Welsh were overlooked in the coinage of the term

I hadn't heard that before, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

You cannot affect how the UK want the 'talks' to be perceived. Varadkar tried to broker a deal, as he should have done.

Who cares how Brexiteers wish to see that, they are going to do what they want anyway.
    Those who are important will see it for what it is.

ya in fairness to leo he has played a very straight bat through this whole debacle as have the EU.

so best to engage the uk in an honest up front way, plus the manner in which the UK government and media will spin it is out of the hands of the EU and at the end of the day its not really a problem for the EU. the only people being codded by the whole thing are the Brits themselves, Brit propaganda isn't having any effect on the populations of Slovenia or Belgium etc and remarkably its have the opposite effect of what its intended for in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

trellheim wrote: »
    avoid blame game in a post-talks-failure-general-election usual poisonous atmosphere

No, there is a genuine desire on the part of Ireland and the EU to avoid a No Deal Brexit, because it will cost us a shedload of money and destabilise the North.

This last-ditch effort probably won't work, and Varadkar knew that going in, and both he and Coveney have been saying cautious things ever since, but if you don't try, you'll never know for sure.

And what does it cost us? A few more days talk.

No, there is a genuine desire on the part of Ireland and the EU to avoid a No Deal Brexit, because it will cost us a shedload of money and destabilise the North

Also a fair point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought it was Sasanach as that's what I remember from school. Interesting point, though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

While Johnson doesn't need the DUP to prop up a government that is now on the way out, he probably will need them for a Brexit deal, as they represent a 20 vote swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I thought it was Sasanach as that's what I remember from school. Interesting point, though.

Sasanach is "English", the people. Sasamach is a portmanteau of Sasanach and amach(out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Sasamach

It's a portmanteau of Sasana and Amach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,425 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BarryD2 wrote: »

Because he is operating in good faith.

When all this crumbles - only one side will repeatedly have been seen to have been operating in bad faith. And they will ultimately have to pay the piper for that.

The EU now knows what Ireland learned the hard way - you simply can't trust the words that emanate from a Tory mouth. EU/UK talks post Brexit are going to be grim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement