Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Bloomberg (who have been wrong many times before, it must be noted) claim a deal could be agreed today:

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1184115779513569280

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

With all the shit that has happened over the past few years with Brexit, I wonder what the EU genuine opinion would be if the UK planned to revoke Article 50.

Would the really want to keep the UK within the EU giving them a voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,058 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Bloomberg (who have been wrong many times before, it must be noted) claim a deal could be agreed today:

https://twitter.com/Brexit/status/1184115779513569280

Is there anything new in this? It seems highly speculative and doesn't seem to reflect anything the other Brussels correspondents were saying today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: No more jokes and one-liners please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Akabusi

With all the shit that has happened over the past few years with Brexit, I wonder what the EU genuine opinion would be if the UK planned to revoke Article 50.

Would the really want to keep the UK within the EU giving them a voice.

Yes, even if they are not fully on-board the EU is stronger with them in. You would hope that at some stage the likes of Farrage would stop being elected to Europe and they get serious politicians who are focused on bettering the EU as a whole.

• Advertisement

Tea Shock wrote: »
    I hear the DUP are threatening to sue Merrion Press and Sam McBride over this new book but are unable to answer any questions about what is inaccurate within it.

51eJetGLU9L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The relevance being, if this is also going to get dirty, and a Stormont Vote is necessary to approve of new border controls, it probably won't happen if all this stuff is getting dragged up again

Huh...well I’ll certainly be buying that now, straight to amazon with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Katya Adler seems to have become more of a realist in recent weeks:

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1184113045787807744

katya adler has really upped her game since the summer, she has obliviously gotten sick of being fed ****e by her usual ''sources'' and has acquired some new ones, she has also started doing some critical thinking or someone else is doing it for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Guardian reporting BJ has accepted has accepted a customs border in the Irish sea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/15/boris-johnson-close-to-brexit-deal-after-border-concessions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Katya Adler seems to have become more of a realist in recent weeks:

I'd love to know the back story. A massive difference in a few weeks. The same on the Brexitcast podcast, much more realistic than previously where she used to seem to always want to put a semi-humorous take on the inevitable EU row back.

Think the shift came around the time Laura Keunnsberg was getting heat for pointing out guy who challenged Boris was a Labour activist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

If this is indeed true about a customs border down the Irish sea, what are the numbers do people here think for that deal in HoC, do you think he has the numbers to get this passed?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Akabusi wrote: »
    Yes, even if they are not fully on-board the EU is stronger with them in. You would hope that at some stage the likes of Farrage would stop being elected to Europe and they get serious politicians who are focused on bettering the EU as a whole.

Or even just bettering their own position within it.

For example, why do they not go for the full metric system instead of the half arsed system they have - milk in quarts, pints, half pints. Petrol in litres, but miles per gallon. Distances always quoted in miles. Butter in half pounds*, and everything sold in greengrocers is either by unit or by pound. However, plumbing is all metric (while we still use imperial). What a mishmash of standards.

They should accept Schengen and the Euro as it would give them better security for immigration and economically. They should also accept National Identity cards for the same reason (as should we).

They could also improve foreign language teaching in school (as should we). All children leaving school should have a working knowledge of at least one other European language.

Nearly 50 years after they joined and they are still a laggard at being European.

*(we still sell butter in pounds - and it is illegal in Ireland to sell butter in any measure but pounds and half pounds - it was to stop what is currently called 'shrinkflation where quantity is reduced to disguise price increases!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

I'd love to know the back story. A massive difference in a few weeks. The same on the Brexitcast podcast, much more realistic than previously where she used to seem to always want to put a semi-humorous take on the inevitable EU row back.

Think the shift came around the time Laura Keunnsberg was getting heat for pointing out guy who challenged Boris was a Labour activist.

ya, i wonder was her previous ''source'' a Theresa may loyalist and with may gone she did not feel the need to pedal the ridiculous party line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭briany

Guardian reporting BJ has accepted has accepted a customs border in the Irish sea.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/15/boris-johnson-close-to-brexit-deal-after-border-concessions

Agreed in principle.

OK, but we've been here before.

Last time, the UK used this just to get into phase 2. The EU negotiators would be morons to forget this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184127055333605376

Tony killing the buzz. I'm not believing anything until it's official at this point. Too much shenanigans in all this.

EDIT: But maybe the Taoiseach just isn't in the know.

https://twitter.com/JP_Biz/status/1184125559212826628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

*(we still sell butter in pounds - and it is illegal in Ireland to sell butter in any measure but pounds and half pounds - it was to stop what is currently called 'shrinkflation where quantity is reduced to disguise price increases!)

Well we sell it in grams, just so happens that gram amount corresponds to lb (454g)and 1/2lb (227g)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If this is indeed true about a customs border down the Irish sea, what are the numbers do people here think for that deal in HoC, do you think he has the numbers to get this passed?

Mogg has been shaping up to eat his words, even to the point of comparison with Churchill. I think the rest of the ERG may follow suit, and there's even discussion that the only difference between what's looking possible now, and what May's deal was, is that one is from a bloke, the other a woman.

And no surprises what it has taken for the DUP to return Stormont without condition...
    https://twitter.com/skydavidblevins/status/1184127184199397378

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

One by one they have been called in to number 10 and Cummings has opened their dossier. And one by one they have realised that they will have to do as Johnson/Cummings wish. Thus we reach resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Remains to be seen but on its own, i dont think its nearly enough. Whether DUP could be bribed enough to go for it is doubtful and how many ERG would stick with them is another question. Ultimately, i think it depends on how many of the Labour half-leavers he can get behind it and, without granting the further concessions that came out of the tory-labour talks back in the spring, i seriously doubt he'll get enough of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hurrache wrote: »
    Mogg has been shaping up to eat his words, even to the point of comparison with Churchill. I think the rest of the ERG may follow suit, and there's even discussion that the only difference between what's looking possible now, and what May's deal was, is that one if from a bloke, the other a woman.
    The possibility of Boris & Co getting a majority without the tiresome DUP in tow is a strong motivator. Seal the deal and that's what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Inquitus wrote: »
    Well we sell it in grams, just so happens that gram amount corresponds to lb (454g)and 1/2lb (227g)

Not so. It is in pounds. It goes back a very long way. They just translated it into
    metric. Kerrygold imported some of their 'spreadable' butter packaged in France in 250 g tubs but it was withdrawn for this reason. Their are other rules about butter.

We changed over a while back with milk to litres, but not butter. There was a rule that ice cream had to have a high percentage of dairy fat in it, but I'm not sure if that is still the case - probably not due to the single market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    From what I've seen, there seems to be an ingrained urge in the DUP to always react in a way to makes things worse or makes more certain that what they wish to avoid actually occurs :rolleyes:

Their political instincts just always seem to be wrong.

I find it difficult to understand just how utterly stupid they seem. Unionist politicians desperately need to court the moderate voter to secure their 'precious union' yet do little but widen the divide between people and alienate the middle ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Remains to be seen but on its own, i dont think its nearly enough. Whether DUP could be bribed enough to go for it is doubtful and how many ERG would stick with them is another question. Ultimately, i think it depends on how many of the Labour half-leavers he can get behind it and, without granting the further concessions that came out of the tory-labour talks back in the spring, i seriously doubt he'll get enough of them.
    DUP are deadweight. With a deal he can also appeal to those he kicked out. A deal puts Corbyn in a bind as to his legacy. Going down as the man who rejected it is a guaranteed election loss.

is_that_so wrote: »
    DUP are deadweight. With a deal he can also appeal to those he kicked out. A deal puts Corbyn in a bind as to his legacy. Going down as the man who rejected it is a guaranteed election loss.

It could be tight. Just looknig at the numbers:

Tories including inds who lost the whip: 310

Lab, Lib Dem, Pl Cyn, SNP, Ind Group, Green: 310

So you can work out how many tories might go against it and how many of the opposition might go for it. Thats all a bit uncertain. If you were to add the DUP to those against, it makes a deal passing all the harder. As well as that, you have 13 independents left who could go anyway. It would be close enough but i'm not at all certain he can do it without the DUP.

Edit: just to say there's no way labour can back it. There are some issues for them in opposing a deal, but thats the thin end of the wedge. Under no circumstances can they support it, for a whole host of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

It could be tight. Just looknig at the numbers:

Tories including inds who lost the whip: 310

Lab, Lib Dem, Pl Cyn, SNP, Ind Group, Green: 310

So you can work out how many tories might go against it and how many of the opposition might go for it. Thats all a bit uncertain. If you were to add the DUP to those against, it makes a deal passing all the harder. As well as that, you have 13 independents left who could go anyway. It would be close enough but i'm not at all certain he can do it without the DUP.

Can he not manoeuvre this such that is a vote between his deal and no deal? If he comes back with a deal agreed by the 19th he doesn't have to request extension. Or does the Benn Bill state it must be agreed with EU and HOC?

If it's the vote between deal and no deal he'll get the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,810 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭54and56

Bottom line here is, there is no real half-way house between the UK rejected proposals and the NI only backstop the EU is pushing for. There is no great fudge they can come up with that has a landing zone somewhere in the middle. Either the UK moves to the EU position or there'll be no agreement. The quicker they resolve whether that will happen, the better for everybody imo.

But ........ alternative arrangements.............technology...........trusted trader schemes........

Nigel said these all exist and the EU's own reports say they are fine and dandy.

Why is no one listening to us and more?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hurrache wrote: »
    And no surprises what it has taken for the DUP to return Stormont without condition...

They've been saying that all along though. Their argument is that they've always been ready to return to Stormont but that it's Sinn Fein that is setting pre-conditions on a return (the Irish Language Act). In reality, there was a deal on the cards in 2018 to revivie Stormont which included a very basic ILA but the DUP got spooked by the negativity from their base and torpedoed it. Ever since, they've insisted they have 'no red lines' even though not having a language act is clearly one. I don't see them moving on that.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Can he not manoeuvre this such that is a vote between his deal and no deal? If he comes back with a deal agreed by the 19th he doesn't have to request extension. Or does the Benn Bill state it must be agreed with EU and HOC?

If it's the vote between deal and no deal he'll get the numbers.

I still have trouble believing that Johnson wants to pass a deal with a NI only backstop, but let's just say we do get to position he brings such a deal back to the house, you're correct to speculate what kind of manoeuvrings might come with it. We simply dont know. The Benn bill does specify it must be passed by the house by the 19th, so how that holds up we'll have to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

So unfortunately that they keep running into the meticulous and unflappable Barnier and co. One by one they've folded when at the negotiation table away from the comfort of shouting and roaring in the zoo that is HoC and away from the comfort of their spin artists in the red tops.

Mon Dieu.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement