Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Varta wrote: »
    I think you are taking an ideological stance. It is a fact that a huge number of Labour constituencies are pro brexit. Objectively, this could be a deciding factor.

A key element is that Johnson will remove the whip from any Tories who vote against the deal.

I suspect he will also make a one time offer to those who had the whip withdrawn to have it reapplied should they vote with government.

One question is will Corbyn remove the whip from those who vote with the government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I hope/assume I'm wrong, but does this deal means custom checks for goods coming from EU into Ireland, or is it just from Ireland to UK? Just asking as BBC says the deal concerning NI as

The island will remain aligned to a limited set of EU rules, meaning goods will be checked on entry to the island, rather than across a border on the island. Is that the island of Ireland like?

Bambi wrote: »
    Leo has gone from "No hard border in Ireland" to "No hard border in Ireland unless the NI assembly says there is"

Fairly spectacular reversal.

Yes, but is that a defacto 'no hard border in Ireland' in any event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

titan18 wrote: »
    I hope/assume I'm wrong, but does this deal means custom checks for goods coming from EU into Ireland, or is it just from Ireland to UK? Just asking as BBC says the deal concerning NI as

The island will remain aligned to a limited set of EU rules, meaning goods will be checked on entry to the island, rather than across a border on the island. Is that the island of Ireland like?

Thats referring to goods coming from the UK, there will be no checks on goods between Ireland and EU afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

J Mysterio wrote: »
    One question is will Corbyn remove the whip from those who vote with the government?

He might have to. A deal would make an election very hard and he has said this is a worse deal than May's. He can't have it pass.

However two of those who are most likely to vote for it are Hoey and Skinner, he doesn't mind Hoey and he and Skinner are very close.

The others who may vote to leave such as Mann, Flint and maybe Kinnock he has no time for though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

EU Parliament are actually the ones to approve the Deal on the EU side, when is that to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lobbylad

Rees Mogg in HoC has said about the debate on Saturday:

"The debate that follows will be a motion to either approve a deal or to approve a no-deal exit."

I though the HoC could only have a vote that had a Yes or No answer, not a choice?

And if his statement is true, that doesn't that avoid the Benn bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The extremes of both sides will be the ones who gain from this as it brings constitutional issues to the fore, and will sideline issues like health, education, housing etc.

You've a lot of faith in the pragmatism of a body that isn't in place at the moment because unionists can't stomach a basic Irish language act.

There’s a two year cooling off period. I’m confident that it would need to be a majority of people, not politicians winning a vote due to political tricks on a particular day, that would be required. And let’s face it: if there genuinely is a majority will for a hard border or some other sort of constitutional arrangement then it needs to be facilitated.

The noise of the DUP today doesn’t take away from this compromise being hugely positive. Anything they were happy with would have been abhorrent to SF. This is far far better than the spectre of a hard border, that much is inarguable.

J Mysterio wrote: »

He said earlier that he wouldn't. He said he prefers persuasion to threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Varta wrote: »
    I'm saying he is going to get some and it will be considerably more than 3 to 5.

You keep saying that, but you don't say why - what has changed?

How is their back against the wall? The HoC has not only voted against No Deal (as they did back in the indicative votes back in March), it has passed the Benn Act requiring the PM to avoid No Deal by requesting an extension to January, and to accept it if offered.

Johnson has said he won't do it to the press, but he has given an undertaking to the Scottish court that he WILL do it, and the court commented expressly that they were listening to his court statements, not his press waffle.

The only ones with their back against the wall are the Tory Brexiteers - if they don't get this deal through, there is a good chance that Brexit will be cancelled via a referendum and revoking of A50 while the Tory Party is attacked from the right by the Brexit party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

8/13 on Betfair Boris loses on Saturday, and 8/15 or so with the high street bookies it loses if you want to bet in a betting shop.

That and Liverpool beating United on Sunday is my lock of the weekend. :o

golfball37 wrote: »
    I hope this gets passed in the HOC. Whilst Brexit is bad for Ireland it would be ridiculous and make a laugh of democracy if Britain didn't leave the EU after the result in 2016.

UK have already made a laugh of democracy. UK is in serious need of political reform (not to mind everything else).

Either way, Scotland will still want it's independence and will still want to rejoin. It seems this will be fast tracked once voted on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

If you were a remainer and wanted an election then short of voting Labour you're seriously reducing chances of a second vote. It's counterintuitive but that's the reality. Depending on numbers and whether Corbyn was still leader, it's likely the case that voting lib dems is actually merely boosting the Johnson position. That's why I think a lot of mps would prefer the second ref first path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭20silkcut

A lot of people on this thread predicted this outcome.
    A lot of people in the UK did not.

It’s a tough one for remainers in the UK they are being shafted here. But the remain movement has been a massive failure over the last 3 years.
    Considering 48% of the population are that way inclined that is unforgivable. Farage grabbed all the limelight at the euro elections while remainers sat on their hands divided.
    But it’s also confirmation that the EU are happy to have the UK outside the EU.
    You have to remember it was quite a hard fought achievement to get in back in the early 70’s .

He said earlier that he wouldn't. He said he prefers persuasion to threats.

In which case it makes the deal passing infinitely more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,629 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Letwin gets the option for amendments on Sat. That's big.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've got this summary from BBC News:
    What is in the deal?
    Most of the deal is the same as the one agreed by Theresa May last year - the main change is the Northern Ireland proposals.

The UK will continue to abide by EU rules until the end of 2020, and possibly longer, to allow businesses to adjust
    The UK will still pay an estimated £39bn "divorce bill"
    The rights of EU citizens living in the UK, and UK citizens in the EU, will be guaranteed

What's changed?

Northern Ireland will be aligned to the EU single market
    The controversial "backstop" - that critics feared could have kept the UK in a customs union with the EU indefinitely - has been removed
    Northern Ireland will instead remain a part of the UK's customs territory, so it will be included in any future trade deals struck by the government after Brexit
    But Northern Ireland will also remain an entry point into the EU's customs zone. The UK will apply tariffs to products entering Northern Ireland as long as they are not destined for onward transportation across the border
    A joint EU/UK committee will decide which goods are at risk of entering the single market and the UK will collect EU tariffs on them on behalf of the EU
    The Northern Ireland Assembly - which has been suspended since January 2017 - will get a vote every four years on whether to continue with the new trading arrangements
    The decision would be based on a simple majority, rather than requiring a majority of both unionists and nationalists to support the rules in order for them to pass

I'm pessimistic. I don't see how the backstop can just be "removed". What happens if the Assembly, should it ever be restored decides to exercise its 4-year veto?

I'm personally unimpressed and a bit disappointed that the EU has yielded here but it's still early days.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

20silkcut wrote: »

It’s a tough one for remainers in the UK they are being shafted here. But the remain movement has been a massive failure over the last 3 years.
    Considering 48% of the population are that way inclined that is unforgivable. Farage grabbed all the limelight at the euro elections while remainers sat on their hands divided.

Totally agree : coming out with "respecting the result of the referendum" nonsense and allowing the English far right and their media buddies to run riot and effectively take over the country.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

lobbylad wrote: »
    Rees Mogg in HoC has said about the debate on Saturday:

"The debate that follows will be a motion to either approve a deal or to approve a no-deal exit."

I though the HoC could only have a vote that had a Yes or No answer, not a choice?

And if his statement is true, that doesn't that avoid the Benn bill?

Is this their long awaited trick to bypass the Benn act?

Surely the motion will just be amended anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep, the Remain movement has only itself to blame. No effective protest; no strikes; no civil disobedience; complete failure to control media; little or no extraordinary parliamentary politics to try and force the issue. This deal and the consequences of it are what they deserve. To the victors go the “spoils”.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    the Irish Government just ran straight over its main red line to get this deal done, that it would not agree to anything that could create a hard border on this Island.

I was in favour of the Irish Government saying that all along, you can check my history. But I also was aware, and pointed out, that No Deal meant an instant hard border in Ireland, which we would be required by our Single Market membership to police as an EU external border.

The only reason to go for No Deal was the hope that in trade talks, the UK could be bullied into reversing course and accepting the backstop later to re-open the border. I thought (and still think) that this could happen quite quickly since No Deal will be a disaster.

But the same trade pressure can still be applied in the proposed set up - the EU can negotiate a trade deal which depends on the border staying open (through whatever means). So we get 7 years of open border, and then, if MLAs take leave of their senses and vote for a hard border, we can apply the same trade pressure to the whole UK that we could in a No Deal situation.

I don't see a downside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,494 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

In fairness, with the leave media it was always going to be hard for remain to get traction.

That said, the inability for the lib Dems and labour to coalesce around a common position (or indeed labour itself to coalesce around a common position) has led to remain neutering itself.

A great shame imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭20silkcut

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Yep, the Remain movement has only itself to blame. No effective protest; no strikes; no civil disobedience; complete failure to control media; little or no extraordinary parliamentary politics to try and force the issue. This deal and the consequences of it are what they deserve. To the victors go the “spoils”.

This is all happening under the likelihood that a majority of the population now support remain.
    It is a desperate failure for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,562 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

BJ 6 defeats in a row in the UK Parliament.

This might be a chance for a confirmation referendum

Penn wrote: »
    Wouldn't they need for the EU to grant an extension to hold the referendum?

The need an extension anyway - there isn't time to get this all into law before the 31st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Remain lost the referendum and UK should have left. What more do people think opposition could have done beyond opposing the bad deals gov was coming back with? I mean, practical things, not protests - we've had plenty of those in case folk have forgotten.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

They're absolutely pathetic : terrified of the right wing press and of Leave voters

Their cowardice took their country to the brink of No Deal (and perhaps still will).

In a confirmatory referendum, what way would the DUP swing, presumably with remain as the other option on the ballot.

In a confirmatory referendum, what way would the DUP swing, presumably with remain as the other option on the ballot.

Go with whatever the Tories are saying I would imagine

Varadkar looks in very good form in his live interview

• Advertisement

Remain lost the referendum and UK should have left. What more do people think opposition could have done beyond opposing the bad deals gov was coming back with? I mean, practical things, not protests - we've had plenty of those in case folk have forgotten.

Remain let the leavers control the narrative and were simply unable to get their message heard.

A simple example of this was the leavers tactic of saying something demonstrably untrue as a televised panel discussion was being wound up. Never challenged, either on the spot by refusing to let the piece be wound up or complaining afterwards. Newsnight in particular was terrible for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement