Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

How strangely comforting to hear Theresa May's voice!

For me, May will go down as someone who tried hard in impossible circumstances. I don't dislike her at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

AllForIt wrote: »
    This point is made in the British media on a daily basis multiple times per day.

"Getting Brexit done" is obviously meant in the sense of the UK no longer being a member of the EU by the end of the month (which would be the case if the deal passes today which I think and hope it will) and puts to bed any possibility of Brexit not happening at all.
    Maybe a point already (long) made, and probably very redundant to make it this late in the current Brexit episode, but I very strongly suspect that "get Brexit done" is a Cummings creation, exactly like "get back control" was in 2016.

(Absurdly-) reductionist, vote-winning catchy slogans are his thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For me, May will go down as someone who tried hard in impossible circumstances. I don't dislike her at all.

Very unlikeable character. Made up her own personal red lines ruined the last three years.

Hard not to dislike her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Strazdas wrote: »
    Brexit will : I suspect it's already game over for NI

Indie Scot will speed it up dramatically, and be more persuasive than just brexit alone. Odds and recent Polls show that it'll also pass assuming some sort of brexit still occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wouldn't condemn her for brexit, she made a mess of it but inherited bad position.

Grenfell, windrush, eu citizens rights among other calamities however - that will be her toxic legacy. History will judge harshly i believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Hummm

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185540378952372224?s=19

I was under the impression it was very likely to pass.

listermint wrote: »
    Very unlikeable character. Made up her own personal red lines ruined the last three years.

Hard not to dislike her.

Her red lines were the only way the UK could benefit from this shltshow.. In my opinion. I am far from the most knowledgeable here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Are they voting on the Letwin Amendment first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

tanko wrote: »
    Are they voting on the Letwin Amendment first?

apparently - and then if letwin goes through - no BoJo meaningful vote - and then i think there is a vote confirming that No Deal is still unacceptable

so maybe 2-4 votes

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭swampgas

I wonder if "the undemocratic backstop" was one of his (Cummings) too? Because it opened the door to the current deal, where the backstop was modified to introduce some consent from NI, thus making it "the democratic backstop", and transformed into an acceptable component of the exit process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

listermint wrote: »

Hard not to dislike her.
    She made the UK's "hostile environment" policy hers, and hers alone when she was HomeSec.

A nasty, vindictive, xenophobic politician who successfully underwent a complete ablation of empathy, and who thoroughly deserves every last drop of Karma coming down her way over the years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

BBC, talking to some members of the public. "I want Brexit, to create more manufacturing jobs, create more employment"

May had terrible advice. Those 2 chancers who ensured she lost the majority in 2017. That spoofer Nick Timothy still gets traction writing in telegraph, usually ad hominem unresearched attacks on corbyn and Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

Sammy Wilson is such a repulsive disgusting person, he's full of anger, red in the face, suddenly abusing the GFA, which his middle ages party want destroyed, but now he uses it his in his nonsensical pitch. Who voted for this kind of a person? I fear to imagine.

I despise this guy and the DUP, they are pathetic. And all that despite I'm not Irish, so don't have a skin in the game! He and his party are an antithesis of liberal, secular, European values, it's shocking to see something like this in 21st century EU.

Seeing DUP so pissed off about the NI "frontstop" gives me certain satisfaction though :)

GM228 wrote: »
    Hummm

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1185540378952372224?s=19

I was under the impression it was very likely to pass.

Me too. Still am though cant be too sure about anything at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

DUP still not declaring their position on the Letwyn amendment.

Are they suggesting they are waiting to be convinced (bribed) by Johnson?

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/1185539036263399424

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

She had more integrity than Johnson but that’s not saying much

She’s still going to vote for something she said no Tory government should ever allow. She still made an absolute hames of the job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

How much of a majority did Teresa May have when she called a General Election and lost her majority?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is Sammy drunk? his face is red, speech slurred, sentences clipped
    You can use this handy guide to see how serious the situation is for the DUP.

https://theulsterfry.com/featured/colour-of-sammy-wilsons-face-to-be-used-for-weather-warnings/

The only really good part of the deal is that there's a way to avoid a hard border. And that mechanism can be incorporated in any future deal.

From the EU side the UK can't leave the frontstop unilaterally, NI can, but not the UK. And from day one the Backstop was only going to be unless and until it was replaced by something else.

Interesting that the UK now have to get the DUP to accept the Max Fac eborder that the DUP were happy with earlier.

I'm still not sure that Steven Barclay's Mo Molem faux pas wasn't a cumming cunning attempt to sabotage the deal by alienating any undecided Labour MPs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How much of a majority did Teresa May have when she called a General Election and lost her majority?

About 10 or something like that. Not a huge majority whatever it was but a working majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

McGiver wrote: »
    Sammy Wilson is such a repulsive disgusting person, he's full of anger, red in the face, suddenly abusing the GFA, which his middle ages party want destroyed, but now he uses it his in his nonsensical pitch. Who voted for this kind of a person? I fear to imagine.

I despise this guy and the DUP, they are pathetic. And all that despite I'm not Irish, so don't have a skin in the game! He and his party are an antithesis of liberal, secular, European values, it's shocking to see something like this in 21st century EU.

Seeing DUP so pissed off about the NI "frontstop" gives me certain satisfaction though :)

Apparently Wilson wants No Deal! Whilst it will decimate the NI economy, it gets rid of the border in the Irish Sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Strazdas wrote: »
    Apparently Wilson wants No Deal! Whilst it will decimate the NI economy, it gets rid of the border in the Irish Sea

For about 2 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

McGiver wrote: »
    Sammy Wilson is such a repulsive disgusting person, he's full of anger, red in the face,

I thought he came across well. He's right, if you come from that side of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Massive march on the streets again in favour of remain and/or a confirmatory vote. Beats me entirely how the Brexiteers get away with threatening riots if they don't get their way. To date there have been at least 3 massive marches in favour of the public having a vote on the matters again. Whereas the corresponding Brexiteer demos have been tiny in comparison. You get the feeling that the British political establishment whether in England/ Wales or NI doesn't particularly take much notice of what their electorate tells them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Looking like Letwin might not get through now, touch and go apparently, and the later is looking less likely by the hour and the Tories are now pressuring on the DUP to vote the adequate way.

Hope it passes but not the foregone conclusion it was earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Whatever you say about Sammy, he's not wrong about what he said there. This is a nightmare for Unionists.

Not just a nightmare for them but their absolutely Worst nightmare.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    BBC, talking to some members of the public. "I want Brexit, to create more manufacturing jobs, create more employment"
    In the short term it will because it's cheaper short term than capital investment .

Or rather that's what's been happening for the last few years. UK worker productivity hasn't gone up unlike the rest of the OECD. The car industry has missed out on billions in investment.

Existing assets will be run into the ground figuratively speaking as UK companies don't win internal competitions to produce the next model for their multinational owners.

There was a docu about UK carmaking and they were bigging up the new electric black taxi's for export. 50,000 a year. So only a tiny part of the vehicle market. .

The company is owned by the Chinese. Half the taxi's are exported so like every other UK car company the question is where is the tipping point.

DIVISON !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DIVISION! (yep for years now)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement