Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Jo Swinson offers Prime Minister BJ
    opportunity outside of house
    to send his letter and then return confirming he did.

Im sorry to detract from the discussion but did anyone else do a double take on this post, namely the bold part?!!!!???? I nearly choked on my coffee:pac::D

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

No surprise at the vote. So much for “backs to the wall” rubbish.
    Well, this is the “taking back power” the Mutineers wanted. This is more laughable than Yes Minister could have imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

liamtech wrote: »
    Im sorry to detract from the discussion but did anyone else do a double take on this post, namely the bold part?!!!!???? I nearly choked on my coffee:pac::D

It seems implausible though....she is surely repelled by him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jo Swinson offers Prime Minister BJ
    opportunity outside of house
    to send his letter and then return confirming he did.

Had to read that twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

https://commonsvotes.digiminster.com/Divisions/Details/721

Noes
    Con 283
    Ind 17
    Lab 6 Barron Campbell Fitzpatrick Hoey Mann Flint

Ayes
    Dup 10

Didn't vote

Lab 4
    Con 2

DUP swing would have meant 312 vs 316 so those 2 extra Labour didn't vote and 5 Noes are critical.
    Hoey might as well be the Brexit Party's only MP at this stage.

That would suggest most Labour votes they could hope for is 10. Thats ok but only cancels out dup vote. Hoey is interesting, surprising she went against dup here but every chance she'll do so next time. Think its a positive result fir anti deal side in every way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sammy Wilson on sky news there proclaiming "they (DUP) can't be bought"

He looks exhausted and terrified at the same time, but I've still absolutely zero sympathy for him and his lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Bit distracted here...can somebody sum up what is going on?

Johnson Government being sneaky, that is what is happening right now. Johnson has said he will not ask for an extension, although according to the Benn act he has to. Now it seems as though Rees-Mogg has made a point of order, so he cannot be questioned like he would a business statement, that they will bring back the vote again on Monday for another go seeing as they were defeated today.

Letwin is suggesting that they are trying to bypass the amendment they just approved by passing the deal so negating the Benn act and the letter. They were supposed to vote on the Queens Speech on Monday but that has now been removed, but JRM is not taking questions. Sneaky as heck and why any Labour MP would trust these jokers to get a good deal for anyone but themselves is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Well it's Groundhog Day... again.

So does Boris Johnson thinks he can be a smart arse by not negotiating an extension, just merely requesting one? Seems a very bad plan... but this is Brexit and the Tories, they aren't renowned for being sensible things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭prunudo

What a mess this whole thing is. The EU negotiators and leaders must be pulling their hair out. Still so many mixed signals coming from parliament and still so many differing views of what Brexit is and should be. Listening to Sammy Wilson on Sky just there and you'd have to say that the Dup's or certainly his view of what Brexit should be, is incompatible with the GFA and a frictionless border. But they just don't get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭prunudo

He looks exhausted and terrified at the same time, but I've still absolutely zero sympathy for him and his lot.

No sympathy but I can understand why are opposed to the current deal. Unfortunately they don't have the interests of the people of NI in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's an absolute farce really. JRM Just got up and left the chamber as an SNP MP started to speak. I mean I can't say that it's deliberate but honestly you could see why the SNP might get the hump.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

He looks like he’s lost his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

With respect to Johnson sending the letter, then going off-radar, remember that the position of the United Opposition was that they would not table a VoNC or agree to an election until he had asked for an extension. By tonight, they will have got that (presumably) and will need only the vaguest of excuses to trigger that VoNC.

So Johnson sends the request, tells EU not to bother replying;
    EU says anyway "we'll give you the 3-month extension you asked for"
    Johnson sticks his fingers in his ears and sings Lalalalalahhhh
    HoC votes him out of No. 10, installs caretaker PM, tells EU "yep, we'll take that."
    Caretaker government organises either GE or PV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

Can he send a letter for a 1hr extension?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We want a second referendum.
    Are you mad, that's anti Democratic!!!

Talk from JRM of trying to repeat the vote on Monday.

2 General elections
    3 times May's deal
    Trying to rerun vote to allow Johnson to proceed. All good.

The ironing is delicious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's an absolute farce really. JRM Just got up and left the chamber as an SNP MP started to speak. I mean I can't say that it's deliberate but honestly you could see why the SNP might get the hump.
    You can say it. JRM and his ilk hold the Scots in the same regard as he does with the Irish.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭hometruths

liamtech wrote: »
    Sky making a big deal out of BoJos smile and the words 'not legally obliged to negotiate an extension'

So theoretically

BoJo - Hey EU.. i am legally required to ask for an extension
    EU - Ok for how long and for what reason
    Bojo - Smiles;)
    EU - Kinda need an answer Boris - how long - why - to what end
    Bojo - smiles and giggles
    EU - what are you playing at?
    BoJo - Im legally obliged to ask for an extension - i have done so - says nothing about talking to you
    EU - This is outrageous - after all we have done etc etc
    BoJo - anyways thats the score - request given - im off to the bar - cheerio

UK Leaves with no deal

Does he have the balls to do this?
    Is that the legal position? ask but nothing else - if so, this is ghastly

He has to send an exact letter, which only asks for an extension until 31st January.

What might happen is that the EU reply saying fine we are happy to offer you an extension if you can let us know what your plans are, i.e how do you intend to use that extension?

In theory I think Johnson could reply, "I have no idea, you better ask Oliver Letwin and friends what their plans are."

I am actually hoping Leo vetos the extension!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭briany

You can say it. JRM and his ilk hold the Scots in the same regard as he does with the Irish.

The Scottish are equal partners in the UK. That is, until any disagreement arises. Then England tells Scotland to sit down and STFU.

You'd think that the kids in this thread would have gotten over the 'BJ' references by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I really hope there is no extension. It is high time for this headwrecking Brexit rubbish to end come what may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I really hope there is no extension. It is high time for this headwrecking Brexit rubbish to end come what may.

I'm hoping for another season or 2

I'm still waiting for the dragons to show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

EU will grant YET ANOTHER extension. But they should demand an open ended one where UK tells them when they are ready to go. Put the onus back on UK now.

This Limbo is way past it’s sell by date now. Am fed up sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What a frickin anti climax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What a frickin anti climax

Like GOT's :(

We'll have to wait for Monday now ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

The Scots are cowards, they talk a lot but that's it. They are being insulted, neglected and ignored but they can't make the move, is that a Stockholm syndrome or what?

I found Blackford's speech very strong, but I don't think it's adequate to the situation they've been in - they should clearly and explicitly threaten to go independent if the UK exits in anything worse than Norway type arrangement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Get the impression tory strategy is based on getting EU to say no extension, somehow, and then have vote on monday with threat of no deal on table. No idea how that works in practice but it would explain why they pulled vote today. Opposition need to be on their guard here and be thinking whether theyve got the numbers for a vonc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

French Presidency has just said that Brexit delay is nobody's interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wonder is the Speaker considering that the HOC won't consider a meaningful until Johnson has sent the extension letter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm hoping for another season or 2

I'm still waiting for the dragons to show up

Dont forget we have a potential spin off (election/referendum) AND the successor series (negotiations on long term relationship) -

Brexit - The franchise that never stops -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

All of the EU now is facing no deal. Benn bill is flawed

How so? The law is clear that the PM must request an extension today, he confirmed to the courts that he would comply with the law. If he fails to do so, then I con only assume a swift court case will set him to rights and an extension will shortly be agreed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement