Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

liamtech wrote: »
    Sky making a big deal out of BoJos smile and the words 'not legally obliged to negotiate an extension'

So theoretically

BoJo - Hey EU.. i am legally required to ask for an extension
    EU - Ok for how long and for what reason
    Bojo - Smiles;)
    EU - Kinda need an answer Boris - how long - why - to what end
    Bojo - smiles and giggles
    EU - what are you playing at?
    BoJo - Im legally obliged to ask for an extension - i have done so - says nothing about talking to you
    EU - This is outrageous - after all we have done etc etc
    BoJo - anyways thats the score - request given - im off to the bar - cheerio

UK Leaves with no deal

Does he have the balls to do this?
    Is that the legal position? ask but nothing else - if so, this is ghastly

He can act the clown if he wants, but the EU having received the request can set out its own terms for aproving an extension and allow the British Parliament take it or leave t.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm hoping for another season or 2

I'm still waiting for the dragons to show up
    Unless they revoke there'll be a spin off series.

Like those gold digger ones where they have to deal with lots and lots of issues and continually have to borrow money to keep going all in the hope that they break even at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Does anyone hear your man roaring out on the Green in Westminster. He nearly put himself through heart failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Dont forget we have a potential spin off (election/referendum) AND the successor series (negotiations on long term relationship) -

Brexit - The franchise that never stops -

That's all coming up in season 2. This is the season 1 finale..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭hometruths

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    He can act the clown if he wants, but the EU having received the request can set out its own terms for aproving an extension and allow the British Parliament take it or leave t.

But who decides whether they take it or leave it? Presumably the government. It does not seem like there will be time now to pass a law compelling the government to accept it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

French Presidency has just said that Brexit delay is nobody's interest.

Brexit delays with no end in sight aren’t in anybody’s interest but a no deal is in nobody’s interest either. The UK have made a decision and whether we in Ireland like it or not it was taken. The problem now they’ve made it, they for some reason have now rejected one prime minister's deal and today haven’t rejected the second but have left people as unsure as they were earlier today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

schmittel wrote: »
    But who decides whether they take it or leave it? Presumably the government. It does not seem like there will be time now to pass a law compelling the government to accept it.

Parliament has to vote on any delay past 31st January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Is the choreography ready to roll, that Boris will write requesting a delay until Jan 31st, but the EU will reply with a shorter delay, even down to something like one week or whatever to ensure the passing of the needed legislation. Boris can come back saying I made the request, it has been turned down, and is only until X, and I stand by my statement that I will not negotiate. So a delay until Nov 7th, or whatever, it is. And he is in the clear on his legal obligation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

McGiver wrote: »
    The Scots are cowards, they talk a lot but that's it. They are being insulted, neglected and ignored but they can't make the move, is that a Stockholm syndrome or what?

I found Blackford's speech very strong, but I don't think it's adequate to the situation they've been in - they should clearly and explicitly threaten to go independent if the UK exits in anything worse than Norway type arrangement.

Well they cannot do anything without approval from Westminster so even if they organized a vote and it was 80%-20% for independence, unless they have the approval from the PM they are stuck in the Union.

Also they are waiting to see what happens with Brexit. If there is no Brexit why would they want to leave again, their case is then much harder. But once they are forced out against their wishes, then all bets are off.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What a frickin anti climax

Did you not hear about the once off special tonight? Whether he has sent the letter, then the fireworks will start again. Court cases on Monday, maybe even being taken into custody (I wish), more drama about the stunt they tried to pull today. If the vote was for Brexit I would have felt bad for the common folk in the UK and it would have soured my day even more, so I for one am happy it didn't go to a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Enzokk wrote: »
    Johnson Government being sneaky, that is what is happening right now. Johnson has said he will not ask for an extension, although according to the Benn act he has to.

In that case, maybe they need to invoke their famous unwritten constitution. March him and his bed fellows off to the Tower of London? Bound to be some precedent for lopping off heads in situations like this, maybe metaphorically nowadays :)

• Advertisement

I feel like a whoopee cushion who's been sat on. I just want this to move to the next stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

He looks like he’s lost his mind.

No, he must specifically request to January 31st 2020.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

IMO the EU shouldn’t grant an extension. We have accepted 2 deals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

schmittel wrote: »

Doesn't matter, if the EU grants the request to the 31st January then Labour can call for a VONC or tell Johnson they are ready to back a new election. If they feel that he will get his deal through they need to think about pulling the chord and fighting the election on his broken promises and their option of a choice on the deal for the people. If he has delivered Brexit he most likely wins a huge majority, Johnson, so the close call today may focus minds of the opposition.
    Is the choreography ready to roll, that Boris will write requesting a delay until Jan 31st, but the EU will reply with a shorter delay, even down to something like one week or whatever to ensure the passing of the needed legislation. Boris can comeback saying I made the request, it has been turned down, and is only until X, and I stand by my statement that I will no negotiate. So a delay until Nov 7th, or whatever, it is. And he is in the clear on his legal obligation.

I would hope that those that went to the EU from the Remain side were there to convey what they would want to happen. It would be a second referendum on the deal and remain and I doubt the EU would try to sabotage that. The goal and best deal still is for the UK to remain so I doubt the EU will but obstacles in that road.

https://twitter.com/PranMan/status/1184506554512482304?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

What ? Jesus h Christ and his blessed mammy I give up trying to predict how this will go now. Are the DUP just trying to annoy the conservatives for sport or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There will be so many amendments tabled under Letwin that They will never leave.

Anyone know if there is a limit to amendments.?

I’m afraid UK has made itself a laughing stock of procrastination, and DUP has reaped what it has sown. But I dismiss them as bible thumping idiots who have no thoughts for their Province at all.

Anyway, here we go again....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I did put a few quid on a second referendum in 2019 at 12/1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What ? Jesus h Christ and his blessed mammy I give up trying to predict how this will go now. Are the DUP just trying to annoy the conservatives for sport or what ?

Nigel Dodds did say in the past that he would be a remainer if it meant it protected the Union. Probable DUP thinking here is that any 2nd ref that pitted BJ’s deal against remain, the DUP would opt for remain because they would see it as better in terms of the union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Harika

Itssoeasy wrote: »

When you throw your partner under the bus, this happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

They truely can only get even crazier - but the DUP are just crazy enough to decide

-second ref
    -Then urge a Brexit Leave vote with no deal

The DUP will never admit that they were wrong to campaign for leave - they never admit mistakes, even one as obvious as this, or supporting BoJo

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Why would they go for no leave Brexit option again though? They are getting flak from their domestic constituency over this. Jumping to remain would be as the tweet suggested a serious piece of revenge on BJ.

I suspect they would have the second ref but urge leave - simply because the DUP could not stand campaigning on the same side as SF, the SDLP, and the Alliance - they would not do that - also to do so would be a tacit admission of guilt, and they would be effectively saying - we were wrong - our unionists competitors and nationalists were right - not gonna happen

also guys

BREAKING NEWS - i know some of you saw it and warned of it but help is on the way

https://theulsterfry.com/politics/bomb-squad-called-to-westminster-to-diffuse-sammy-wilson/

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

IMO the EU shouldn’t grant an extension. We have accepted 2 deals now.

I agree and I don't think that the EU are in the mood for granting any extensions but we'll see.

Sky News suggesting that the EU could wait until the evening of the 31st to make a decision if an extension is requested.

They truely can only get even crazier - but the DUP are just crazy enough to decide

-second ref

The DUP will never admit that they were wrong to campaign for leave - they never admit mistakes, even one as obvious as this, or supporting BoJo

Would they back a no deal Brexit though? Switching to remain. Now THAT would be a serious 2 fingers to BJ......

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭CarPark2

Nigel Dodds did say in the past that he would be a remainer if it meant it protected the Union. Probable DUP thinking here is that any 2nd ref that pitted BJ’s deal against remain, the DUP would opt for remain because they would see it as better in terms of the union.

It’s a pity he didn’t think of that during the first referendum. Brexit was always going to hurt the union. He is used to being able to take extreme positions on issues and not facing any consequences. But this time his chickens have come home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

-second ref

The DUP deserve everything they got but the way they were treated by Boris just shows how untrustworthy a politician he is.
    I'm surprised more hasn't been made of his blatant u turn he made in relation to this deal and his speech to the DUP conference a short time ago.
    I know all politicians say what is expedient at the time but Boris has brought this to new levels. Totally untrustworthy and some seem to think it is a strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I did put a few quid on a second referendum in 2019 at 12/1

Dead money im afraid. I backed it at 25/1 some time back forgetting you need minimum 4-5 months to hold one, so no chance at all until new year at earliest.

joe40 wrote: »
    The DUP deserve everything they got but the way they were treated by Boris just shows how untrustworthy a politician he is.
    I'm surprised more hasn't been made of his blatant u turn he made in relation to this deal and his speech to the DUP conference a short time ago.
    I know all politicians say what is expedient at the time but Boris has brought this to new levels. Totally untrustworthy and some seem to think it is a strength.

“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” Winston Churchill

Yea i agree they were treated shamefully - but what other options do they have?

They wont go back on their stance on Brexit in general (even if there is a second ref - too damaging an acknowledgement of their real priorities)

They can hardly support corbyn/labor, as he has history of being more pro nationalist when it comes to NI and the 'precious union'

They have no one else to talk to - its the conservatives/erg, or they go to Westminster and sit in the corner shouting no surrender and other such nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sky News suggesting that the EU could wait until the evening of the 31st to make a decision if an extension is requested.

Game changer if it happened. Means they could bring back bill with a question mark over extension hanging over it which might concentrate a few more minds. Opposition might have to think about vonc in that scenario but not guaranteed to win it which sounds crazy when you consider this administration but thats where we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement