Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Game changer if it happened. Means they could bring back bill with a question mark over extension hanging over it which might concentrate a few more minds. Opposition might have to think about vonc in that scenario but not guaranteed to win it which sounds crazy when you consider this administration but thats where we are.

And the EU stands accused forever of intefereing directly.

Not going to happen. I think the EU were far too open all through this to granting extensions.

Had they not had the comfort blanket of certainty on that, it might have focused them a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Game changer if it happened. Means they could bring back bill with a question mark over extension hanging over it which might concentrate a few more minds. Opposition might have to think about vonc in that scenario but not guaranteed to win it which sounds crazy when you consider this administration but thats where we are.

That would be the case - IF!
    • the HOC had not just voted for an amendment that effectively shelves accepting of a deal until all the fine-print/legislation is in place - The Letwin amendment prevents accepting a deal until the necessary legislation is in place

I agree its a wreckless move by the EU (although GOD I FEEL FOR EM) but i think Letwin could be the deer in the headlines of this

BUt i imagine its nonsense anyway so - we just have to wait and see

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pretty ****ing grim the people roaring abuse at Mogg with his son and Diane Abbot among others. Neither side showing much class outside whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

And the EU stands accused forever of intefereing directly.

Not going to happen. I think the EU were far too open all through this to granting extensions.

Had they not had the comfort blanket of certainty on that, it might have focused them a bit.

Nobody could have anticipated how indecisive and shambolic the UK Parliament would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Pretty ****ing grim the people roaring abuse at Mogg with his son and Diane Abbot among others. Neither side showing much class outside whatsoever.

Where outside parliament ? Well Diane abbot seems to get dogs abuse a lot anyway. I think the lack of class is linked the fatigue over this whole thing. People on both sides seem genuinely pissed off and acting in a way that isn't rational.

• Advertisement

The govt is not the arbiter of what is orderly. That cannot be so,. And it is not so. And it will not be so. And there can be no argument about that."

Are we now waiting on a decision from Bercow? What happens next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

liamtech wrote: »
    That would be the case - IF!
    • the HOC had not just voted for an amendment that effectively shelves accepting of a deal until all the fine-print/legislation is in place - The Letwin amendment prevents accepting a deal until the necessary legislation is in place

I agree its a wreckless move by the EU (although GOD I FEEL FOR EM) but i think Letwin could be the deer in the headlines of this

BUt i imagine its nonsense anyway so - we just have to wait and see

It could be nonsense, it was just a flyer from sky eu correspondent though he is obviously speaking to his sources so who knows? Heard it a couple of other places too, will only believe it when i see it all the same.

Does letwin preclude them from bringing back mv on monday? Not sure it does. They can rush the legislation through very quickly and depends then how opposition go about counter measures. All very speculative it has to be said.

I think so - im not sure its kinda hard to follow

What is true is that there are bound to be many more days like this in the next 2 weeks!

Same time same place guys!

Itssoeasy wrote: »

Where outside parliament ? Well Diane abbot seems to get dogs abuse a lot anyway. I think the lack of class is linked the fatigue over this whole thing. People on both sides seem genuinely pissed off and acting in a way that isn't rational.

https://twitter.com/TomBoadle/status/1185571697090531328

https://twitter.com/39_stephs/status/1185571331980566530

I know some are saying Mogg bringing his kid is cynical, but still leave him alone.

Abbot is a poor politician but the abuse she gets is so unpleasant and relentless. I do fear some day some loon will try and attack her. Obviously hope I am wrong.

He said he's going to get advice and make a statement sometime Monday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It doesn't surprise me that people are hostile towards a gentleman intent on wrecking his country in the pursuit of the personal gain and those of his chums.

Very regrettable scenes. But you'll always get a few outliers unable to maintain the high moral ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭McGiver

Enzokk wrote:
    Well they cannot do anything without approval from Westminster so even if they organized a vote and it was 80%-20% for independence, unless they have the approval from the PM they are stuck in the Union.
    I know that, but they could ramp up the rhetoric, significantly. They could filibuster as well. Many options. They're just ranting and the Tories know that they won't do it anything else and simply ignore them. Time to remove the gloves ihmo.

It could be nonsense, it was just a flyer from sky eu correspondent though he is obviously speaking to his sources so who knows? Heard it a couple of other places too, will only believe it when i see it all the same.

Does letwin preclude them from bringing back mv on monday? Not sure it does. They can rush the legislation through very quickly and depends then how opposition go about counter measures. All very speculative it has to be said.

im not sure it does prevent it from coming back for a vote - but it does kinda prevent vote from being meaningful

Letwin effectively says HOC cannot accept a deal without first ensuring all legislation is sorted

Which triggers Benn act, which means extension - which means election? VONC?

Tbh i am getting mighty fed up with the oppositions intransigence -
    • all the opposition parties (bar the DUP if you count them as opp) dont want brexit
    • want an election
    • some if not all would now endorse a 2ndref
    • AND they have the numbers now it seems to VONC, GNU, and force through either an extension, and or a general election, AND OR A SECOND REF

but they wont.. why?

Cause
    • Swinson hates Corbyn
    • Berger/Umunna et al Hate Corbyn
    • Corbyn hates the above
    • The SNP hate everyone but will work with anyone to get Indyref2
    • The independents hate most of the above unless they are voting to delay (not cancel) a deal, in which case they love them
    • Tory Rebels hate some but not all of the above, but cannot bring themselves to back anyone over the line

Its insane - this could be done this week, but just like the Tories ALL OF THE ABOVE, not just Corbyn, are playing politics and party first nonsense

My opinion anyway

marno21 wrote: »
    It doesn't surprise me that people are hostile towards a gentleman intent on wrecking his country in the pursuit of the personal gain and those of his chums.

But he's there with his son. I don't agree with his position but I think all politicians actually have a right to not be harassed or have unsavoury things yelled at them.

https://twitter.com/TomBoadle/status/1185571697090531328

https://twitter.com/39_stephs/status/1185571331980566530

I know some are saying Mogg bringing his kid is cynical, but still leave him alone.

Abbot is a poor politician but the abuse she gets is so unpleasant and relentless. I do fear some day some loon will try and attack her. Obviously hope I am wrong.

Well I hope no politician here or in the UK are attacked by any one regardless of their positions. But I mean Jo Cox was killed so unfortunately it's not a case where we are hoping it doesn't happen, it already has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm supposed to be watching the sunset at the Temple of Posoideon in southern Greece but I spent the time refreshing Twitter and this thread instead :D

liamtech wrote: »
    im not sure it does prevent it from coming back for a vote - but it does kinda prevent vote from being meaningful

Letwin effectively says HOC cannot accept a deal without first ensuring all legislation is sorted

Which triggers Benn act, which means extension - which means election? VONC?

Tbh i am getting mighty fed up with the oppositions intransigence -
    • all the opposition parties (bar the DUP if you count them as opp) dont want brexit
    • want an election
    • some if not all would now endorse a 2ndref
    • AND they have the numbers now it seems to VONC, GNU, and force through either an extension, and or a general election, AND OR A SECOND REF

but they wont.. why?

Cause
    • Swinson hates Corbyn
    • Berger/Umunna et al Hate Corbyn
    • Corbyn hates the above
    • The SNP hate everyone but will work with anyone to get Indyref2
    • The independents hate most of the above unless they are voting to delay (not cancel) a deal, in which case they love them
    • Tory Rebels hate some but not all of the above, but cannot bring themselves to back anyone over the line

Its insane - this could be done this week, but just like the Tories ALL OF THE ABOVE, not just Corbyn, are playing politics and party first nonsense

My opinion anyway

Yes opposition are all playing politics so its not straightforward but they've got time yet so wouldnt panic. Thing is they'll need tory votes for eithwr vonc or 2nd ref so that makes it tricky.

I thought earlier thst letwin ruled out mv but is that actually 100%? Why would JRM say theyll bring in monday if it wasnt binding? Just seems odd to me. Just have to wait and see what eu next move is ans why Johnson remains so bullish, whether just empty bluster or something more substantial.

So calling someone a Nazi which I am pretty sure he isn't despite his flaws is justified? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

I guess our European friends were watching the HoC live today also:-

https://twitter.com/AndrewDuffEU/status/1185589692563099648?s=19

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    But he's there with his son. I don't agree with his position but I think all politicians actually have a right to not be harassed or have unsavoury things yelled at them.
    So calling someone a Nazi which I am pretty sure he isn't despite his flaws is justified? :confused:

I don't agree with the behaviour. I was simply pointing out that someone who engages in that kind of "politics" is going to open themselves up to hostility. It shouldn't come to him as a surprise. And if he wanted to shield his children from it, it would be wise not to walk through a street with ongoing protests against his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭brickster69

Obviously the EU will accept an extension. The only deal they cannot accept is no deal. Backstop gone and withdrawal agreement opened which they said they would never do. Bluffers thrown it's hand away already

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Perhaps the word "Nazi" is excessive, but illegally shutting down Parliament in order to ram through something for his own benefit which harms the economy of the country whilst constantly talking out of the other side of his mouth about "democracy" might rile some people into calling him one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Perhaps the word "Nazi" is excessive, but illegally shutting down Parliament in order to ram through something for his own benefit which harms the economy of the country whilst constantly talking out of the other side of his mouth about "democracy" might rile some people into calling him one.

so its ok then,?

Obviously the EU will accept an extension. The only deal they cannot accept is no deal. Backstop gone and withdrawal agreement opened which they said they would never do. Bluffers thrown it's hand away already

Its kind of a bit sad though that Johnson's team are taking it as some kind of masterstroke that the eu reopened the WA. To do what? To go back to a position they were happy to accept 2 years ago and which was a major UK concession. I mean, some victory, right? And now we're back to keep no deal on table, maximum leverage angle again. When the uk learns how to negotiate in a mature, grown up fashion, maybe it can stop getting itself into these kind of messes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We'll see.

Backstop gone and withdrawal agreement opened which they said they would never do...UNLESS the UK came with serious alternatives...which they did. Totally consistent from the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Backstop gone and withdrawal agreement opened which they said they would never do...UNLESS the UK came with serious alternatives...which they did. Totally consistent from the EU.

In fact, under Johnson's deal, the NI arrangement is worse for unionism. But don't tell anyone.

Originally Posted by Itssoeasy View Post

I think getting that abusive towards anyone is horrible and disgusting - and i hate to see it happen

... however
    "I've never heard such humbug in all my life." Boris Johnson
    "Surrender Act" Boris Johnson et all
    "the best way to honor the memory of Jo Cox and indeed the best way to bring this country together would be, I think, to get Brexit done." Boris Johnson

Given all of this nonsense from the Tories
    " They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind." Bomber Harris

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement