Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

Sorry if this has been asked before but I thought i seen something around the date of the actual court decision that specifically said that Boris had to send a letter and I thought it also said he could not do anything in addition to frustrate that.

I think that was because the idea of a second letter was being floated at the time.

If this was the case, is there not a legal case now that he has to answer before the courts?

Like i said i am not really sure about this and am probably wrong.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

devnull wrote: »
    Here's the British press reaction

Mail

Express

i just got off the phone with my sis who has been in London since the 1970s. her husband is a cockney (Essex really) LEAVER. dislikes us Paddies (even though he's married to one???!!)
    her kids work in the City and are REMAINERS.
    she was close to tears. said the family is torn apart. arguments every night.
    not a pretty picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

His argument will be it's not from him.

He can argue what he likes. He's the Prime Minister and as head of HM government he has sent a request for an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Is there any chance we could avoid linking to that shit-stirring dissident unionist's twitter account? He feeds on attention - I'd say well over half his 'followers' are there to laugh at the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

i just got off the phone with my sis who has been in London since the 1970s. her husband is a cockney (Essex really) LEAVER. dislikes us Paddies (even though he's married to one???!!)
    not a pretty picture.

This is the real legacy of Cameron's referendum. He failed to anticipate just how deeply divisive and polarising it would.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

not a pretty picture.

Lots of families tore apart, my family is mixture of Irish and English and I've discussed the issues in my family on here before, but there are arguments on a regular basis here as well and I actively try and steer any conversation away from Brexit as it will never, ever work out well.

There's a real generation divide when it comes to Brexit.

Lots of families tore apart, my family is mixture of Irish and English and I've discussed the issues in my family on here before, but there are arguments on a regular basis here as well and I actively try and steer any conversation away from Brexit as it will never, ever work out well.

There's a real generation divide when it comes to Brexit.

i lived with them in the 80s. Essex. got to know him quite well. nice guy, but loves to hate outsiders, blacks, Irish, Muslims. West Ham supporter. like i said he ended up marrying an irishgirl from co. Mayo.
    been rattling on about leaving the EU for ages now. reckons they are subsidising the rest of us.
    both his kids have very good City jobs in finance, and see this as a real threat to their careers.
    i'm due to go over there for Halloween, but am having 2nd thoughts, as i usually speak my mind after a few scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

liamtech wrote: »
    Is there not a real clear and present danger of Loyalist violence in the north because of this deal? Assuming it gets through which - i wont even call

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1185666820734357505?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://twitter.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1185663135161733120?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

https://news.sky.com/story/an-awful-betrayal-why-the-dup-rejects-the-pms-new-brexit-deal-11839001

Like i am saying this in all sincerity - this has a historical precedent - Regardless of what we think of Jamie Bryson and his ilk, and regardless of what we generally think of the opinions espoused by Loyalism - Right wing loyalism brought down Sunningdale and the Anglo Irish agreement in the 80s - it amplified the troubles to a great extent - and as Bonnie Greer said the GFA was almost a truce - a cease fire -

Is there a real possibility that if this goes through - we see that cease fire end?

and is not the only rational way to avoid that - to somehow stop Brexit to return to the status quo?

The antics of Bryson and his mates over the last few years suggest that they could not organise a bouncy castle, nevermind a serious protest movement. The last serious attempt at a protest by loyalism resulted in an expencive caravan that was empty most of the time.

Time will tell if further impoverishment is a cause that will motivate the people to come out and support these headbangers, but I somehow doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭trellheim

On that topic Stephanie Bolzen who is a german reporter based in London, who i find very good, was on sky yesterday saying she didnt think it would be plain sailing for the scots to get eu membership in the event of independence. Not sure of why, but was intetested to hear her opinion all the same.
    Its because they want to scare off Catalonia and Basque regions from secession.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭CarPark2

trellheim wrote: »

That was valid while the UK were a member state. They could have blocked an independent Scotland from joining (and would have been strongly supported by Spain). I don’t know if it would still stand after Brexit it would suit the EU for Brexit to be a disaster, so they might welcome Scotland joining as an expression of that disastrous outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    The antics of Bryson and his mates over the last few years suggest that they could not organise a bouncy castle, nevermind a serious protest movement. The last serious attempt at a protest by loyalism resulted in an expencive caravan that was empty most of the time.

Time will tell if further impoverishment is a cause that will motivate the people to come out and support these headbangers, but I somehow doubt it.

Ye see i agree and disagree with you on this - Bryson is inept yes but this has the possibility of spilling on to the global stage - the flag protest riots made global headlines around the world - this will be BIGGER, because the issue is bigger

I agree that it is unfortunate - and that the current deal (saying this as someone who wouldnt support brexit) is the inevitable result of the referendum result hitting the GFA agreement - incompatibility - and that the current deal technically works - but the loyalists cannot support it - this is a serious problem

if they could only see that the best pragmatic solution is to just go back to the people and get brexit over turned -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Navanboyo wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I thought i seen something around the date of the actual court decision that specifically said that Boris had to send a letter and I thought it also said he could not do anything in addition to frustrate that.

I think that was because the idea of a second letter was being floated at the time.

If this was the case, is there not a legal case now that he has to answer before the courts?

Like i said i am not really sure about this and am probably wrong.

Thanks in advance.

I'm no legal eagle but fwiw, i think you're spot on. There is a clause warning him against trying to frustrate the bill so at a minimum he is guilty of breaching the spirit of the law. Very likely this will go to court. Now maybe that is what he actually wants to happen but they need to pursue it i think otherwise you are simply permitting people in power to misbehave without consequence.

trellheim wrote: »
    A Scotland that follows a legalistic independence process will be a candidate for EU membership but it won't be automatic like some presented it in the past eg Scotland leaves the UK on Dec 31st and joins the EU on Jan 1st.

The UK has various structures and bodies that comply with and enforce EU law and regulations. Scotland (today) has certain devolved powers but it is not an established country with the ability to regulate it's own markets for example.

It shouldn't take too long but it won't be immediate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

i lived with them in the 80s. Essex. got to know him quite well. nice guy, but loves to hate outsiders, blacks, Irish, Muslims. West Ham supporter. like i said he ended up marrying an irishgirl from co. Mayo.
    been rattling on about leaving the EU for ages now. reckons they are subsidising the rest of us.
    both his kids have very good City jobs in finance, and see this as a real threat to their careers.
    i'm due to go over there for Halloween, but am having 2nd thoughts, as i usually speak my mind after a few scoops.

This is a recurring theme with Leave voters : convinced the UK is pumping in billions and billions and getting virtually nothing in return (probably comes from all the nonsense they read in the tabloids).

Strazdas wrote: »
    This is a recurring theme with Leave voters : convinced the UK is pumping in billions and billions and getting virtually nothing in return (probably comes from all the nonsense they read in the tabloids).

he is vehemently opposed to the eastern european states, reckons they are just spongers and the EU will collapse once the UK leaves.

of course he is blind or chooses to be, to the positive part immigrants play in British life/economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

he is vehemently opposed to the eastern european states, reckons they are just spongers and the EU will collapse once the UK leaves.

of course he is blind or chooses to be, to the positive part immigrants play in British life/economy.

There's no better benefit to an economy than to have someone fully educated land on your shores and look for a job.

Think of the cash the govt spends on every child from 0 - end of university, through subsidised creche, free education, childrens allowance, medical card, GP care, free university fees, grants etc. Tens of thousands, easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So short sighted, if you looked at it a few years ago it would look like Ireland was sponging off the EU but thanks to past financial help we are now a net contributor. Also these contributions are tiny compared to gains made from trading in the single market.
    The problems is these areas have been abandoned by the UK not the EU, they are angry and need something to vent at.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Navanboyo

I'm no legal eagle but fwiw, i think you're spot on. There is a clause warning him against trying to frustrate the bill so at a minimum he is guilty of breaching the spirit of the law. Very likely this will go to court. Now maybe that is what he actually wants to happen but they need to pursue it i think otherwise you are simply permitting people in power to misbehave without consequence.

Thank You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

liamtech wrote: »
    Is there not a real clear and present danger of Loyalist violence in the north because of this deal? Assuming it gets through which - i wont even call

Who are the loyalists going to direct their anger at? Most of the ones who caused this are sitting pretty on the mainland, apart from their beloved DUP who have just landed back in Belfast tonight. Anyway, most of the leave vote in NI was from unionists, so they only have themselves to blame.
    not a pretty picture.

I was really good friends with a guy in his 50s who acted like a mentor to me in my first job when I moved over to England. I have lost so much respect for him. Not because he voted leave, but because of his ugly and arrogant attitude to it all. "**** Northern Ireland" etc.

I don't think he fully gets how far he has fallen in my estimation. I try to not talk about it too much with him, the conversation always just turns ugly and I don't need that energy in my life anymore. Part of it is him trying to wind me up, but life is too short to listen to that crap, and I have moved on with my life. It is sad though, considering what a friend he used to be to me.

Another friend in his early 30s also voted leave but regrets it now. The two of them are like chalk and cheese.

Also listening to late night LBC for the first time. Man, the real crazies come out after dark. I thought James O'Brien had it bad with the rubbish he has to listen to. At least this presenter is being even more blunt than JOB in his responses to them!

can i just say this though in relation to a 2nd ref.

can you imagine yourself having just voted for/against a certain referendum, election whatever, then to have some well intention-ed person tap you on the shoulder and tell you that you were misled, misinformed or just ignorant, and to try again.

in fairness how would you feel?

personally i think i would explode. all logic would be lost. emotion would take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

can you imagine yourself having just voted for/against a certain referendum, election whatever, then to have some well intention-ed person tap you on the shoulder and tell you that you were misled, misinformed or just ignorant, and to try again.

personally i think i would explode. all logic would be lost. emotion would take over.

I like to think that I would direct my anger at how colossally stupid and vague the question on the original ballot paper was, and not at the people who are daring to question the soundness of allowing the Tory party to treat it as a blank cheque.

I’m genuinely surprised that there aren’t more Leavers who recognise and acknowledge how incredibly complicated and difficult the whole thing is, and that there was no clear destination.

Yeah, unless the plan has changed or circumstances are now different, I would be very annoyed about having to re-vote for something I had already voted for and the result was not the "desired" one.
    OTOH, if the result was against what I wanted, then I would welcome a second chance and hope enough will change to get the preferred result.
    After all, it has happened here twice!

Shelga wrote: »
    I like to think that I would direct my anger at how colossally stupid and vague the question on the original ballot paper was, and not at the people who are daring to question the soundness of allowing the Tory party to treat it as a blank cheque.

I’m genuinely surprised that there aren’t more Leavers who recognise and acknowledge how incredibly complicated and difficult the whole thing is, and that there was no clear destination.
    UK voters were asked a simple question, leave or remain (we'll sort out the details later) they voted to leave, details are now being thrashed around.
    Those in either camp really didn't care about the technicalities, NI etc, they just wanted to choose either to remain or leave.

In most referendums & elections, people generally go with their gut feelings, or more often than not they choose the same party they (and their parents) have always voted for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

The old chestnut about us voting on Lisbon twice.
    It wasn’t the same treaty the second time.
    They gave concessions to make it pass the second time
    Farage et al always forget to mention that though

Tea Shock wrote: »
    The old chestnut about us voting on Lisbon twice.
    It wasn’t the same treaty the second time.
    They gave concessions to make it pass the second time
    Farage et al always forget to mention that though
    I assume that you did not read the whole of my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭briany

A second referendum need not be framed as voting the 'right' way. It should say that the British political class has failed to deliver Brexit, so it is up to the British people to break the deadlock. Power to the people, in other words. And so long as there is at least one Leave option on the ballot, then it doesn't contravene the 2016 referendum. If the people voted for Remain then they couldn't really blame anyone but themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

On that topic Stephanie Bolzen who is a german reporter based in London, who i find very good, was on sky yesterday saying she didnt think it would be plain sailing for the scots to get eu membership in the event of independence. Not sure of why, but was intetested to hear her opinion all the same.
    I just cant see the EU ignoring its former family members on a life raft that has escaped the sinking HMS Brittannia.

The EU will not welcome Scotland with open arms because of separatist movements in Europe most notably the Catalans and the Basque (France/Spain)
    Also Croatia

These countries do not want to support any separatism and will mostly likely veto Scotland of independently joining the EU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Shelga wrote: »
    Who are the loyalists going to direct their anger at? Most of the ones who caused this are sitting pretty on the mainland, apart from their beloved DUP who have just landed back in Belfast tonight. Anyway, most of the leave vote in NI was from unionists, so they only have themselves to blame.

I was really good friends with a guy in his 50s who acted like a mentor to me in my first job when I moved over to England. I have lost so much respect for him. Not because he voted leave, but because of his ugly and arrogant attitude to it all. "**** Northern Ireland" etc.

I don't think he fully gets how far he has fallen in my estimation. I try to not talk about it too much with him, the conversation always just turns ugly and I don't need that energy in my life anymore. Part of it is him trying to wind me up, but life is too short to listen to that crap, and I have moved on with my life. It is sad though, considering what a friend he used to be to me.

Another friend in his early 30s also voted leave but regrets it now. The two of them are like chalk and cheese.

Also listening to late night LBC for the first time. Man, the real crazies come out after dark. I thought James O'Brien had it bad with the rubbish he has to listen to. At least this presenter is being even more blunt than JOB in his responses to them!

They will vent on the nearest and most obvious adversary that exists in Northern ireland - Nationalists/remainers - as they always have done

the problem, is that said group will respond

My point is that just as a hard border is unacceptable to Ireland and the nationalists - what is being proposed is equally unacceptable to the Unionists - and i cant see a way to square that circle - well, tell a lie.. i can - cancel the whole damn thing and forget brexit

It is not my intent to cause an argument - im a lefty and a remainer although as an irish citizen i wouldnt have a vote - a remainer at heart as Tusk said

But i think this thread sometimes glosses over the real fact that loyalism/militant-unionism has not gone away, and could very well attack nationalism/remain communities, which will be responded too

this is all very unnerving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK5S3GQ5MXA

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Well I am hopimg as I write BoJo is heading to a ditch somewhere

There is no point in any extension unless something changes

An election or a referendum...the impasse is too great otherwise

To get a GE Labour has to be assured that the Brexit no deal doesn't happen before the GE is sorted. So need the extension to be at least 4 months imo

However there is a distinct possibility the a GE could give much the same HoE divide

A Peoples Referendum is the only way forward imo

A question between BoJo deal or Remaining

Its the only solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,435 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

MPFGLB wrote: »
    The EU will not welcome Scotland with open arms because of separatist movements in Europe most notably the Catalans and the Basque (France/Spain)
    Also Croatia

These countries do not want to support any separatism and will mostly likely veto Scotland of independently joining the EU

Spain has said it would have no jusifiable legal objection to Scotland joining the .
    EU
    Their reasoning is that Scotland's independence will be gained constitutionally, Catalonia attempt is according to Spain, unconstitutional and illegal.
    Rahoy outlined this a long time ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement