Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

My post was in response to an implication that only poorer areas voted majority Leave. That was not the case.

OK, they have all been brainwashed so. No one will benefit from Brexit, but of course the post colonial hubris of the UK will continue to think it will, in their arrogance.

It will be a sad and dispiriting outcome for many. But Johnson doesn't care a fig about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just for the record ,
    - because this is just as important as the future of the 66 million people living in the UK.

Is it Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Nope. There's six reindeer, four zebra, camels, three raccoons, a fox, a macaw, and a zebu.

And travelling circuses will be banned from using the animals. Both of them!

Edit: and doing the math, thats, um, like 150,000 people for each wild animal. Priorities sound just about spot on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well if the progamme vote is passed, it will be a fait accompli now, kind of like the opposite to filibustering to oppose it.

That MPs could actually vote for such a thing is beyond me now. But why am I surprised?

I place my trust in the Lords. They won't stand for this bullsh!t. I hope anyway.

But not sure if the Progamme Vote needs Lords approval. Anyone know?

I believe not, as its just a procedural motion. Only bills to be enacted into law need Lords approval, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Labour desperately don't want an election.

They are now saying they are available right now for a deal of between 7 - 9 days for the timetable.

They want to do everything to obstruct without causing an election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Many affluent areas had a majority vote in favour of Leave too.

The biggest indicator of voting Leave was age, closely followed by formal educational attainment level.

Up to a point with age.

If I remember correctly, outside of 18-24 year olds, those aged around 80+ were the next highest remain voters. Basically the people who lived through WW2 & know how much better a united Europe is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If the DUP still think the ERG are their friends, well they just might not be...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Has anyone seen this?
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/oct/22/operation-yellowhammer-brexit-preparations?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other&fbclid=IwAR30N0M9MtSJrOmPtqTh9T3l8I279R7MPhGXhmudeHCmDJA8Ml-LyEMhKp4

Account of what has happened with Yellowhammer and the story behind it, apparently from a civil servant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A reminder from Twitter of exactly the motivation behind the PM’s “strategies” at present. It really is the reasoning behind everything we’ve seen to date

https://twitter.com/laboursblackplp/status/1184522427885334528

Anywhere you can watch brexit debate live?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Sparko

Sky news flit in and out. Online you can watch here:
    https://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/8b654f4f-2dc1-454b-b881-039faf2da5c4

• Advertisement

Now...

Generally, just search for 'House of Commons Live' on YT and you should be sorted.

Labour desperately don't want an election.

They are now saying they are available right now for a deal of between 7 - 9 days for the timetable.

They want to do everything to obstruct without causing an election.

Labour are giving them the chance of bringing some common sense into it and having a proper debate and scrutiny of the bill. Everyone and his dog knows that oct 31 deadline cant be met anyway so pm should just drop the act and do the right thing.

Of course tories wont agree to it anyway, so its all just a positioning business. The programme motion will be defeated and just have to see where they go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

think this is the vote coming up soon - this is the last speaker before the vote - anyone wanna call this?

sadly i think this might pass

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Letwin saying vote for deal in order to avoid no deal.

I think i would put it definitely vote against deal in order to avoid risk of no deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

liamtech wrote: »
    think this is the vote coming up soon - this is the last speaker before the vote - anyone wanna call this?

It needs to pass, we've had enough of it now

The first will pass.

Second one (timetable) very tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hopefully it passes. This shambles can't continue.

Pass or fail, they are doomed. Hoist by their own petard.

How many times on this journey have we been at this pass?

Honestly, So much for the UK being in control of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Division. Clear the lobbies.

• Advertisement

The first will pass.

Second one (timetable) very tight.

id second that -

even if i was in favor of brexit i wouldnt be prepared to rush the thing through just so BJ isnt embarrassed by not leaving on 31st October

Id say

VOTE 1 - Narrow win
    VOTE 2 - Solid but not substantial loss

For me question is whether BJ sticks to his guns - its insane and childish of him tbh

https://www.ft.com/content/cb962dfb-1d9f-38ce-a27d-131bbd039f9a

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

It's annoying me listening to Alister Campbell - moaning about the "border" in the Irish sea.

Of course a month a go he was all against a border on the island of Ireland - at all costs.

As long as it suits their remain agenda. Just using whatever the issue happens to be.

Be interesting to see if the timetable passes. If it does, it is all over now.

IMO of course. The battle, bullying and brainwashing has succeeded. OK that's "Democracy" for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This is going to pass I think, second one is going to be tight I reckon.

Labour's Sarah Champion, Gareth Snell and Ruth Smeeth have voted with government, along with John Mann and Antoinette Sandbach who are independent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I will say it again, the method of voting in the HoC is a farce and they need to move with the times

Majority of 30 for second reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Are we getting somewhere at last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

329 v 299

• Advertisement

329 - For
    299 - Against

Majority 30

Win for the GVT