Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Convincing win for the second reading. Now, the process of amending it will begin. Programme motion will be much closer, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Twice the majority as was expected for the second reading.

Going to be really tight for the programme vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know it’s a majority of 30 but it’s for a second reading which just means it’s going to move on the next stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are we getting somewhere at last?
    Vote for timetable will tell. If that's a No, he's going to pull it and try to go for an election.

The DUP are sitting in the chamber and not moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Been out of the loop today & y'day regards Brexit. Whats the programme motion?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

DUP look to be abstaining.

Are DUP abstaining!?

They have not left the chamber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

devnull wrote: »
    DUP look to be abstaining.

Impossible - would they abstain on the 'precious union'?

If they do they will be ripped to shreds surely?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Been out of the loop today & y'day regards Brexit. Whats the programme motion?
    How much time they have to debate. He wants three days, some of them want up to 4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

What does second reading mean? They have voted to agree to vote again??

I'm getting really confused, and I'm usually on top of all Brexit craziness :D

I know the next one, the programme motion, is the biggie, but again, what exactly does it mean?

DUP have left the chamber now, not abstaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

DUP are going to vote now, it seems. Not sure why they'd abstain on this one.

Commentary on BBC suggesting that the public have been making their feelings known to MPs.

Shelga wrote: »

I know the next one, the programme motion, is the biggie, but again, what exactly does it mean?
    It means it can now be opened to debate and examination and subject to more amendments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can anyone explain how this works? This is the first time I've actually turned on the live feed. How do they vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

I mean do we think brexit is an almost certainty now? if he wins this?

Also anyone have a link to those very useful charts of options - with % chance of outcomes etc

I would welcome seeing an updated version

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

If the next vote passes, has he basically gotten his deal through parliament?

Ie if they agree to a ridiculously short timetable of 3 days, they'll agree to the deal itself? So confused!

Jesus Christ Jon Craig on sky news is doing a crap sky sports football impression and annoying me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Second reading moves it to committee stage where it can be amended. Then onto third reading... Its complicated!

• Advertisement

Ie if they agree to a ridiculously short timetable of 3 days, they'll agree to the deal itself? So confused!
    BBC explaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Nowhere near. Hes basically won one of those preseason cup competitions the top teams play. Next is like the league cup with fa cup.and champions league still to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Who'd have thought that Michael Collins would be quoted in the HoC in a debate on Brexit when this deal is said to be a step to freedom!

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1186708343378927616?s=19

So the DUP are gone feral on the prime minister then ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So the DUP are gone feral on the prime minister then ?
    Hell hath no fury like a party shafted!

This looks like it will be on a knife edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like the government will lose the programme motion.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1186709799083433985

is_that_so wrote: »

Well sure the dog in the street could see the bus that the DUP would get hit by the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I live in London and work as a contractor in the public sector
    I voted Remain and I have argued for Remain for the last 3 years. Its not just a financial decision although the financial argument to Remain is for me and from several reports including many from this government the more sound in both the short and long term

My view has always been one of being better within the EU for reasons of security, trade,regulations, and as a unit to stand together to aid the development of the region and in defense against the power of China, Russian& USA

I guess I am one of those metropolitan elites that Brexiters and half the BBC journalists are always going on about
    Except I am not...I have a large mortgage, very high living costs and dropping income for the last 7 years

Now I am hoping this deal gets through .. so we avoid a no deal

But also I and many colleagues are waiting for this government to invest in public services...which they are not doing as they hold all spending on hold in case its needed to shore up a no deal Brexit
    It almost impossible to get any work at the moment ...and I am not the only one

I think the deal may go through as alot of MPs are so sick of it and want to move on

I think its a dreadful deal as it leaves to UK in a worse position than it was ..aligned to EU rules and regulations and not 'free' to make their own rules as the Brexiters wanted and with no bargaining power when the flesh is put on the bones

But having said all that I wont be surprised if it passes becasue of fear of no deal and a continuation of the extension process

So it is as i thought it would be

And I tell you Labour will pay the price ...the country is now mostly Remain but even so most want it done and to move on

Labour was the only party that could have had a 2nd Ref if it had got behind it last year or the year before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

is_that_so wrote: »

only happy point of the night :D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement