Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

JC almighty. I have never seen Johnson being as worse as this before. It's absolutely an embarrassment for him to become PM for much longer with this performance. I just want him to leave his job now & get out with having an immediate GE in his sights because I do know now that his own reputation as British PM is mightily f*cked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

boggerman1 wrote: »
    What a load of bull and bluster from Johnson.its so farcical to see him begging for an election.Ian Blackford is absolutely brilliant performer
    Blackford is by far the most impressive performer in the house..........( in fairness he doesn't have much competition for that accolade).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Oddly I just can't seem to find the "Surrender Act" anywhere on the Statute books.

After about 20 or 30 mentions someone picked finally picked him up on this, it's now the "Hilary Benn Surrender Act", getting there I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Anybody thinking Johnson is somehow proper to run the country is kidding themselves. All of those Tory members that voted for him and those MPs that nominated him should hang their heads in shame.

He keeps talking about the Surrender Act for the Benn Act, such a childish thing to do. It is baffling that he allowed to do this, but to say he lied in parliament is somehow something so bad it needs to be quashed. If they cannot move forward in the House of Commons I fear they will tear themselves apart. If you see how questions in Scotland is conducted then those in England can learn some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭maebee

He is not able to answer Hilary Benn's question about his new proposals to the EU during the "30 days" (which have passed) that Merkel gave him. I don't think he has answered one question this evening. He just blustered about leaving on October 31st, nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

Same old arguments from both sides. Makes very little difference whether the Parliament is open or closed, this lot will never reach a concensus on any deal.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

GM228 wrote: »
    Oddly I just can't seem to find the "Surrender Act" anywhere on the Statute books.

After about 20 or 30 mentions someone picked finally picked him up on this, it's now the "Hilary Benn Surrender Act", getting there I suppose.

Ian Dunt saying on Twitter that such language is most unbecoming for a PM to be using in Parliament

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He seems to still be of the belief that the EU will do a deal at the October summit.

But Johnson only gets 15 minutes or something to say what he needs to say at the start before he is kicked out of the summit meeting while the rest of the leaders continue their meeting.

Same as Mrs May was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

I see on the Guardian feed that Johnson has:

“On the subject of the Benn Act, he says he will respect the law and come out of the EU on 31 October.”

Surely that is an inherent contradiction if he can’t get a deal over the line in the meantime. I don’t think anyone thinks that’s likely but he never seems to get challenged on this. He said it yesterday too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did Johnson's response to Angela Eagle result in audible claims of 'what did he say' from a number of people.
    He had seemed to waffle considerably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He seems to still be of the belief that the EU will do a deal at the October summit.

But Johnson only gets 15 minutes or something to say what he needs to say at the start before he is kicked out of the summit meeting while the rest of the leaders continue their meeting.

It seems impossible to imagine that Johnson could come up with something legally watertight and which would meet EU rules in the space of a few days.

It sounds more like something that would be scribbled on the back of a cigarette packet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Panrich wrote: »

“On the subject of the Benn Act, he says he will respect the law and come out of the EU on 31 October.”

Probably asked the attorney general if his idea of doing so with an as yet unannounced plan was lawful and he said yes, as we know, the attorney general is always right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Panrich wrote: »

Surely that is an inherent contradiction if he can’t get a deal over the line in the meantime. I don’t think anyone thinks that’s likely but he never seems to get challenged on this. He said it yesterday too.

Ohh hes constantly being challanged on it he just wont elaborate and considering its exactly what his supporters want to hear he suffers no repurcusions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

And given how EU summits work, he would need a final proposal that meets the requirements of the backstop by today week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod: several below standard and one liners deleted.
    Raise the bar please folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bad misjudgement on Johnson's part in belittleing the threats to MPs, and his constant use of the phrase 'Surrender Act', is a contempt for the House.
    Bercow has implicitly criticised him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Water John wrote: »
    Bad misjudgement on Johnson's part in belittleing the threats to MPs, and his constant use of the phrase 'Surrender Act', is a contempt for the House.
    Bercow has implicitly criticised him.

Can Bercow stop him from referring to it like that?

Such a childish way of going on. Boris is really at the limit of his debating skills here, trying to wind up your opposition in this way is down there with deliberately getting someone's name wrong, to try get a rise out of them. Risible.

edit - Bercow seems to be doing so now

Bercow did everything but call him out. When he extorted calm on both sides he kept his gaze on the PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is Rees-Mogg still awake? Maybe if a few more members leave he could stretch out and have a proper nap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Water John wrote: »
    Bercow did everything but call him out. When he extorted calm on both sides he kept his gaze on the PM.

I've been listening to it for the last couple of hours and it really has descended in to anarchy. Several MP's seem extremely exasperated with the language of Johnson and it is obvious it is intentional as he keeps going back to the same antagonising phrase.

I'd say the abuse some of them are getting on the street and on social media would make your hair stand up.

Also, to hear him talking about the deal they are going to bring back from the EU is as believable as suggesting Santa Claus is going to bring one 8 weeks later.

Sylvia Herman speaks well as always. NI should be proud of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Anarchy in the hoc tonight,lead by a dangerous cultist cabal of Tories.Britain deserves everything that's coming their way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Johnson and his cohorts are basically trolling the HoC

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1176934557586788352

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Much as Trump has sullied the office of POTUS, Johnson is making a mockery of 'Prime Minister'. Craven glove puppet of Cummings and the ERG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

"The best way to honor Jo Cox is to get Brexit done"

Really Boris? Really!?

What side of the debate was she on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is just disgraceful carry on from Johnson, he's making a mockery of the valid points raised by other MPs when questioning him. It's just a big game.

Will the UK really return this guy as PM with an overall majority after a general election?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Apart from the SC ruling, there appear to be absolutely NO consequences for behaviours like Johnson's and his trailing rump now.

Imagine sacking 21 of your party MPs, proroguing parliament, lying, deceiving, obfuscating and so on. Unbelievable.

But here we are, and it may only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

nc6000 wrote: »
    This is just disgraceful carry on from Johnson, he's making a mockery of the valid points raised by other MPs when questioning him. It's just a big game.

Will the UK really return this guy as PM with an overall majority after a general election?

He might be consolidating the base but he won't be attracting votes. Farage looks like a statesman by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Complete disgrace, the man is acting like fascist dictator and nothing will stop him getting what he wants, be that law, parliament, the courts. Doesn't even seem to care about using Jo Cox's death for his own games.

The guy has no morals and is completely unfit for office. I'm honestly speechless at the moment, nothing would surprise me now, he has no moral standards, none whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement