Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GM228 wrote: »
    We have seen the way he acts in Parliament for all to see, I can only imagine how he acts in private, I would say tonight is no eye opener for any of them.

Apparently some people already heard how he treats people in private, the police, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

quokula wrote: »
    Let’s not get carried away - Theresa May’s government were found in contempt of parliament, she set the red lines that have led us to this situation, she was responsible for the Go Home vans, the hostile environment and the Windrush scandal, she repeatedly made baseless accusations against the EU and for most of her premiership she cosied up to the ERG rather than looking for consensus across parliament.

Boris is a new low though, no doubt about that.

I just got a message from a close friend saying she never thought she would see the day when Thatcher looked like a high point of Tory leadership.
    This from a woman who on paper appears to be the stereotypical conservative (retired high ranking civil servant, lives in an actual Tudor pile in the leafy suburbs of London's Torydom) but she's actually a life-long Labour voter and hated Thatcher with a passion. For her to not only mention Mrs T without an accompanying expletive but to look back on her with a certain, qualified, fondness is the single scariest thing I have heard.
    It shows just how bad Boris is...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

devnull wrote: »
    Apparently some people already heard how he treats people in private, the police, too.

He's becoming more Trumpian by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Disgraceful, shambolic and embarrassing performance from Johnson tonight. He should resign. He's totally out of his depth in every conceivable way.

He must be the strangest UK PM in history. Thatcher was very divisive but she was still straight up in her beliefs and a real politician.

Johnson is some weird political guru / motivational speaker spouting ridiculous soundbites and endless lies. He could just as much be trying to flog DVDs as addressing the Commons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Parliament right now is absolutely farcical, I've never seen such a callous lack of respect from the MPs (rightly deserved). Boris really has to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He's becoming more Trumpian by the day.

Have thought about that a lot lately, the Steve Bannon connection.
    Would put my house on there being a common denominator between them which is still active at some point these days.

What time is this due to go on until?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Have thought about that a lot lately, the Steve Bannon connection.
    Would put my house on there being a common denominator between them which is still active at some point these days.

What time is this due to go on until?

Dunno. I stopped watching. Depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Strazdas wrote: »
    He must be the strangest UK PM in history. Thatcher was very divisive but she was still straight up in her beliefs and a real politician.

Johnson is some weird political guru / motivational speaker spouting ridiculous soundbites and endless lies. He could just as much be trying to flog DVDs as addressing the Commons.

He's a social media age PM, just as Trump is a social media age POTUS. If you spout enough crap and have a platform to disseminate that crap to the masses, you'll go a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dunno. I stopped watching. Depressing.
    Same, I usually love HoC drama more than anything on tv but Im just depressed watching this, I hope he's remembered as the biggest failure in British politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ian Murray (Labour) "If no deal through the house or no deal by 19 oct will he seek an extension to 31 January?"

Prime Minister: "No."

• Advertisement

A final insult as he leaves the HoC despite Bercow telling him it would be courtesy to stay as the upcoming points of order would relate to the topics just having been discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Weak, weak, weak! Couldn't stand them but can't imagine May or Cameron leaving the chamber after speaker pleading with him to stay. Wow, so prime ministerial! An utter charlatan who makes Labour look like the government in waiting.

It's also bizarre how anyone can refer to the will of the people in September 2019. It's obvious that there is no 'will' and absolutely no unanimity on anything and public opinion is all over the place.

To be referring to "the British people" in the current setting is really pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Every it designed to get his no confidence vote. It's his last option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Where's Guy Fawkes when you need him?

He's been reduced to re-styling himself as 'Guido' and publishing a fully British and proud blog out of St. Kitts and Nevis, which exists primarily to provide a cadre of 'Tory boy' parodies for late night opinion sections on the BBC.

Anna Soubry and Jo Swinson making strong points about the coarseness and vile nature of the debate in the chamber today and this evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

"They have until the house rises this evening to call a vote of no confidence..."

Why is it in Johnson's gift to put deadlines on opposition calling a vonc? They can put one whenever they feel like surely.
    From reading elsewhere I belive that time for a VoNC only goes to the opposition party. What Johnson was trying was to goad the minor parties into making the call for a VoNC and saying that they would get granted time for the debate which is normally not given to them. He was hoping someone would want to make a name for themselves, thankfully the other minor parties are not stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Amazing and disgraceful scenes in parliament. Cox sounds like a autocratic nutcase

Any chance of video footage?, missed that.

A clip from his rant today :

https://twitter.com/BrexitCentral/status/1176821684076208128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

robinph wrote: »
    From reading elsewhere I belive that time for a VoNC only goes to the opposition party. What Johnson was trying was to goad the minor parties into making the call for a VoNC and saying that they would get granted time for the debate which is normally not given to them. He was hoping someone would want to make a name for themselves, thankfully the other minor parties are not stupid.

Why did he not just bung another couple of £bn to the DUP for them to table the VoNC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The disrespect for Jo Cox really highlighted on ITV News. That will do him a lot of damage.

Why did he not just bung another couple of £bn to the DUP for them to table the VoNC?

I'd say because they know that the opposition would vote to defeat the motion, in order to support the government in order to ensure they do not crash out, incredibly bizarre as that sounds.

Incredible scenes over the last few minutes with the sombre comments made by many in relation to the provocative comments made (by Johnson) throughout the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Scarlet for the UK. My god.

Calling parliament a 'dead' parliament.
    The language deliberately aimed at violence.

But check out Twitter, they love him.

Scotland and NI leave while you can, (though Boris said no independence referendum would be run go ahead and run your own) Wales your kind of stuck but this is no longer the UK but nationalist England, run by racist violent thugs, and sociopathic Billionaires who condone violence and law breaking..

incredibly grateful for our Irish politicians..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Water John wrote: »
    The disrespect for Jo Cox really highlighted on ITV News. That will do him a lot of damage.

Will it though. His remaining supporters have Brexit as a religion. Nothing, absolutly nothing, will cause those conservatives to turn against him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Beth Rigby said on Sky News there that Conservative MPs are talking about censuring him for the Jo Cox stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There appear to be no consequences for anything said in parliament by anyone, especially the PM. And some of the things he said tonight were totally disgraceful in anyone's language, whether it was designed to provoke the opposition into VONC or not. Dreadful stuff.

It's all moot if parliamentary privilege allows the PM to say what he likes without sanction though. NEXT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Thargor wrote: »
    Beth Rigby said on Sky News there that Conservative MPs are talking about censuring him for the Jo Cox stuff.

Unless that censure is in the form of some class of medieval punishment, it'll not make a bit of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,981 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thargor wrote: »

And what would that censuring mean I wonder? Probably a slap on the wrist. But I dunno. Anyway, I doubt it will mean much to Johnson anyway. He doesn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There appear to be no consequences for anything said in parliament by anyone, especially the PM. And some of the things he said tonight were totally disgraceful in anyone's language, whether it was designed to provoke the opposition into VONC or not. Dreadful stuff.

It's all moot if parliamentary privilege allows the PM to say what he likes without sanction though. NEXT!

Well, the sanction can only come from the HoC itself. It has its own ways of dealing with him, but it requires a VoNC. They cannot win.

BJ goes from Prorogue to Rogue in 24 hours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement