Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mikewebb1

There was a funny moment when Corbyn got the news yesterday onstage

He wanted Parliament recalled he said

But then he had to stop himself and think why, he didn't seem to have an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Damn did you see those pigs flying earlier this evening also? I thought I was the only one.

Seriously the EU is the monumentally stupid idea, who in there right mind would give Germany oops meant EU monetary and fiscal policy control over their own sovereignty.

Ha. Sovereignty is a word that's being used a lot by Brexiteers but watching their actions, not actually a verb they employ at all.

Maybe they don't know what it means..

And Brexit is funded by billionaires making billions in the UK and not paying tax, who are running scared because the EU would force them to pay tax on their offshore accounts to the UK public. Bad EU. How dare they try and protect the commoners...

ya. Your much better off with the honest brokers of Johnson, Farage and Moggs. And you deserve their contempt if you chose them. They've been quite consistent in their methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

After what I saw today we should be thankful for our politicians on the whole in this country.okay they f**k up at times but my god after that display from Johnson this evening,even the last days of the Cowan government were somewhat more dignified.and I'm no fianna fail supporter.
    Johnson and Cummings are dangerous people.to do what they did to the memory of Jo Cox is unforgivable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I like James O’Brien’s line to Brexiters who say they are happy to be lied to by Johnson as long as he delivers Brexit- “why are you letting them do this to you?”

Absolutely nothing goes through though. The brainwashing is complete. These people are incapable of rational thought at this point. I am so, so glad I don’t live in England anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

prawnsambo wrote: »
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Completely unacceptable to use her name the way he did. Cox was pro EU and was murdered for it by an English nationalist. This really is a new low for the UK.
    He's behaving like the cornered rat that he is and we really should have expected. He has nowhere to turn, is a PM without a functioning government and hogtied by parliament and the courts. It will get worse. Until he's got rid of. Apparently that could be easier than suspected. Jo Maugham has received advice that a new PM can be appointed by means of humble address. Basically propose an alternative PM and ask for a vote. And if that fails, propose another compromise candidate. Job done.
    Advice from who ? That sounds a relatively easy(in the grand scheme of things I mean) of appointing someone to the highest office in the land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

boggerman1 wrote: »
    After what I saw today we should be thankful for our politicians on the whole in this country.okay they f**k up at times but my god after that display from Johnson this evening,even the last days of the Cowan government were somewhat more dignified.and I'm no fianna fail supporter.
    Johnson and Cummings are dangerous people.to do what they did to the memory of Jo Cox is unforgivable.

They drink in the same pubs as the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

lawred2 wrote: »
    I 100% doubt that. The cult has gone too far.

The cult makes up less than 15% of the entire electorate. He's alienating the middle ground and even those that voted leave but we're unsure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Shelga wrote: »
    I like James O’Brien’s line to Brexiters who say they are happy to be lied to by Johnson as long as he delivers Brexit- “why are you letting them do this to you?”

Absolutely nothing goes through though. The brainwashing is complete. These people are incapable of rational thought at this point. I am so, so glad I don’t live in England anymore.

There are millions of (very) right wing people in England. A Johnson type figure and Brexit will always appeal to them - it's the chance to put their lifelong prejudices into action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

boggerman1 wrote: »

I am not going to complain about a Healy-Rae again.

For three weeks anyway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Seriously the EU is the monumentally stupid idea, who in there right mind would give Germany oops meant EU monetary and fiscal policy control over their own sovereignty.

Why is it that so many people seem to think the UK can forge great deals and be a global standard bearer when they apparently can't stop Germany doing whatever they want in a rigid, rule-based system where they have equal power? It is one of the many, many bizarre dichotomies in thinking going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Boris rambling to the UN. He's rubbing his nose, he wouldn't be a coke head would he? Maybe just a cold

https://mobile.twitter.com/Independent/status/1176802020264570880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Check this out. When the PM is shouting about 'surrender' and 'traitors' and being flippant about the murder of an MP, this is the kind of thing we should expect more of. This woman is a labour candidate for Shrewsbury.

Of course this behaviour is further fuelled by the odious right wing tabloids... Of which the PM is leading contributor.

https://twitter.com/lauraforshrews/status/1176952215518494722

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

maebee wrote: »

There are so many layers to potential references here.

Brexit assisted in killing the company. They made the Borismaster. Boris allegedly likes making model buses. Boris lied on a bus. About Brexit. Wrights support Brexit and the DUP. The DUP are going to be thrown under a (presumably Alexander Dennis) bus quite shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Advice from who ? That sounds a relatively easy(in the grand scheme of things I mean) of appointing someone to the highest office in the land.
    From a constitutional QC; Helen Mountfield.

"The House of Commons has more than one mechanism available to it by which it could identify an individual in whom it had confidence and communicate that view to the Queen… Those mechanisms are available, both when parliament is in session, by means of a humble address, and when it is not. If a majority of members of the House of Commons were to clearly identify an individual in whom the House has confidence, the Queen would invite that individual to form a new government.” The process “is governed by convention and those conventions will apply equally whether or not parliament has passed a no confidence vote in the government, pursuant to s. 2 FTPA.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

prawnsambo wrote: »
    From a constitutional QC; Helen Mountfield.

"The House of Commons has more than one mechanism available to it by which it could identify an individual in whom it had confidence and communicate that view to the Queen… Those mechanisms are available, both when parliament is in session, by means of a humble address, and when it is not. If a majority of members of the House of Commons were to clearly identify an individual in whom the House has confidence, the Queen would invite that individual to form a new government.” The process “is governed by convention and those conventions will apply equally whether or not parliament has passed a no confidence vote in the government, pursuant to s. 2 FTPA.”

This would be following a VONC though, which would set quite the clock ticking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

maebee wrote: »
    Bus Eireann and Dublin bus are going to have to find a new supplier of buses it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

L1011 wrote: »

Brexit assisted in killing the company. They made the Borismaster. Boris allegedly likes making model buses. Boris lied on a bus. About Brexit. Wrights support Brexit and the DUP. The DUP are going to be thrown under a (presumably Alexander Dennis) bus quite shortly.

Wonder what the workers had to say today about the fawning off Boris last time and their DUP support. Interesting commentary im sure

Brexit throws up no winners. We will all suffer but the weakest economy (NI) in these islands will suffer the most. Mega Shame on the DUP.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Why is it that so many people seem to think the UK can forge great deals and be a global standard bearer when they apparently can't stop Germany doing whatever they want in a rigid, rule-based system where they have equal power? It is one of the many, many bizarre dichotomies in thinking going on.

They dont like the rigid, rules-based system.

These schmucks are trying to break or bend every rule possible in their own country just to leave the EU. It's why they can't be trusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

From reading this extensive thread, and further, it would appear that Wrightbus was the most bizarrely run company imaginable, and that's just the tip of the iceberg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

As I said, a united Ireland before 2030 is a certainty.

Given all that's gone on since the Brexit referendum can we really be certain of anything anymore?

Genealogy Forum Mod

IT WILL LEAD TO REUNIFICATION!!!

Why can't people see that

Plenty of people think No Deal leads to a United Ireland. Calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Why can't people see that.

Once we are united and A Nation Once Again along with Scotland, England/Wales can piss off with Brexit because it was THEM who voted for it.

This may well be the case, but I don't think repeating the point every five minutes will advance the cause or add much of substance to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Bus Eireann and Dublin bus are going to have to find a new supplier of buses it seems.

Only a new supplier for single deckers is required, with regards to the double deckers it's Volvo who have a problem in relation to buses owed to the NTA.

Why can't people see that.

Once we are united and A Nation Once Again along with Scotland, England/Wales can piss off with Brexit because it was THEM who voted for it.

Calm down. This thread is about Brexit. There must be another thread here about Irish Re-Unification, which I would some day like to see. We need to get over the Brexit madness first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Boris rambling to the UN. He's rubbing his nose, he wouldn't be a coke head would he? Maybe just a cold

https://mobile.twitter.com/Independent/status/1176802020264570880

I did laugh when he said "This punishment went on forever. A bit like Brexit". :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mod note: let's take a deep breath, calm down and then stay on topic and not get excited about Irish reunification. This isn't after hours!
    If you want to discuss reunification then start a new thread please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

From reading this extensive thread, and further, it would appear that Wrightbus was the most bizarrely run company imaginable, and that's just the tip of the iceberg
    Yeah, read that earlier. Not just run but structured. And the irony of getting millions in EU funds and voting and recommending voting leave. And then complaining about the fall in sterling. Millions pulled out over the last few years too. Going to charities. Only the ones run by family members it seems though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

I'm no SFer but I am a republican nonetheless.

All I'm saying is we should be planning for it as it is 100% definite that the 2021 centenary of that disaster story that some people call 'Northern Ireland' will be its only one.

It is going to happen before 2030, it needs an all-round discussion because it is a certainty.

Nothing is certain in this world. The fiction that unification is inevitable may have been a comfort to many in the nationalist community, but there are many who loudly proclaimed the inevitability and indeed imminence of unification who in the long years since have gone to their grave in a still devided island.

While the cause of unification has no doubt been helped greatly by the Brexit debacle, it is by no means certain. Unification is in the hands of the people of Northern Ireland and will only happen is a majority of them can be convinced that unification is a better choice for them and their loved ones than remaining in the UK. That is a case that will have to be built solidly and energeticly and the notion that unification is inevitable is infact a threat to unification ever happening.

Edit: My appologies to the Mod, I was writing my comment before the instuction was given.
    PS: I did start a thread on Unification some time ago and you are all welcome to discuss the issue there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement