Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

J Mysterio wrote: »
    John Major thinks Johnson will attempt to use an 'Order of Council' to bypass the Benn Bill and crash the UK out of the EU.

John Major Describes The 'Political Chicanery' He Worries Boris Johnson Will Use To Get No-Deal Brexit
    This is looking like it might be a viable option for Johnson and there isn't any obvious counter to it

No deal's on again off again relationship with reality seems to be back on again.

It's incredible the way he just pauses, gives a look as if she is just an annoying heckler and moves on.

She took on nearly whole audience later on, when they were trying to say she had a vested interest in thwarting Brexit. She pointed out again that she had been defending their rights and the laws of the UK and constitution (such as it is) for 30 years now, and listed some of the challenges she had made to government. She ended getting a round of applause.

Gina Millar is such an impressive figure who would make an outstanding Prime Minister if she ever took a foray into parliamentary politics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

prawnsambo wrote: »
    There were strong links to Britain First in the Jo Cox murder. Including that being one of the things the murderer is reported to have said. Apart from the irony in the below tweets, I find it disturbing that they have some sort of foothold in Spain. Although I suppose it's inevitable given the British presence there. Perhaps one silver lining from a hard brexit would be these individuals being given their marching orders back to blighty where they can clog up the NHS there instead of the Spanish health service.

That's a parody account you're quoting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Akrasia wrote: »
    This is looking like it might be a viable option for Johnson and there isn't any obvious counter to it

No deal's on again off again relationship with reality seems to be back on again.

Major doing his best to help Johnson along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭prunudo

lawred2 wrote: »
    Major doing his best to help Johnson along

Or informing his opponents to watch their backs and make sure they have all angles covered.

• Advertisement

Cummings already knew about this.

By highlighting it now, it gives the opposition more time to come up with counter measures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Cummings already knew about this.

By highlighting it now, it gives the opposition more time to come up with counter measures
    That's not an actual option available to him. As David Allen Green points out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

prunudo wrote: »
    Or informing his opponents to watch their backs and make sure they have all angles covered.

what can they do?

edit: I see above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

It was rubbished pretty quickly by nearly every constitutional law expert you can think of, it's the little flaws in the Benn Act however which all agree could (provided certainissues pan out in a certain way) see a lawful crash out on the 31st without having requested an extension.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's not an actual option available to him. As David Allen Green points out.

Hopefully they're right, but in the current circumstances where time is so important, Johnson could attempt to use this mechanism on October 18 and then try to challenge any injunction for long enough that Britain crashes out of the EU.

If I was the opposition, the first thing I would do is change the benn act so that the date Johnson has to send that extension letter is moved forward so that he would have to play his wildcards earlier and there would be time to have them declared illegitimate and force him to request the extension

• Advertisement

Hopefully they're right, but in the current circumstances where time is so important, Johnson could attempt to use this mechanism on October 18 and then try to challenge any injunction for long enough that Britain crashes out of the EU.

If I was the opposition, the first thing I would do is change the benn act so that the date Johnson has to send that extension letter is moved forward so that he would have to play his wildcards earlier and there would be time to have them declared illegitimate and force him to request the extension

Courts can act very quickly when needed, especially concerning items of national importance, trying to challenge any court orders to delay things would not really work.

I see Church of England bishops are now weighing in on the language used by Johnson stating it is "unacceptable" and "not worthy of our country".

No doubt the hard line Brexiteers will add to their courts have no say in sovereign matters stance with something or other involving the church...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Anyone with an interest in Brexit should follow David Allen Green. He provides essential commentary on Brexit from a constitutional viewpoint in an easy to understand manner, and often debunks a lot of stuff reported in the media by journalists with little or no legal understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Panrich

Another avenue that is under consideration

https://www.cityam.com/exclusive-government-plan-to-invoke-eu-laws-supremacy-to-ensure-brexit-on-halloween/

I have a fear that there is a smugness behind the certainty about leaving on the 31st October that means they have something from left field up their skeeve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

On the question of language, incitement to hatred, parliamentary privilege and all that, Harriet Harman yesterday called for the establishment of a working group to draw up new rules for the modern era. It does seem quite ridiculous that someone like Johnson (or Peter Hain, for that matter) can stand up in front of cameras in Westminster, knowing that their words will be broadcast to the whole world, say whatever they want in whatever fashion they like, and then claim immunity from prosecution on the basis of parliamentary privilege.

These rules (and the words that Must Not Be Uttered) were drawn up in a time where the common man had to get on his horse and travel up to London if he wanted to sit in on proceedings. If he didn't do that, he'd have to rely on the account of the events written by someone who was there and delivered to him some days later. Those inherent obstacles made it unlikely that anything said in parliament would have signficant effect outside the Chamber before suitable counter-measures were put in place - or, indeed, the provocative member issued an apology or retracted their statement.

It really is head-scratchingly bizzare that an MP can be hauled over the coals (by the Speaker, at least) for addressing someone by their given name, yet can deliver a speech that would be considered incitement to hatred in any other context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Panrich wrote: »

https://www.cityam.com/exclusive-government-plan-to-invoke-eu-laws-supremacy-to-ensure-brexit-on-halloween/

I have a fear that there is a smugness behind the certainty about leaving on the 31st October that means they have something from left field up their skeeve.

they have nothing, its the same bluff they used in the run up to the benn act going through, they implied heavily that they had a way to stop it if it was tried, they had nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,427 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I know people like to paint the current Tory crop as stupid but I didn't think them stupid enough to keep talking themselves into an embarrassing climbdown. I suspected there was a few more plays left.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Is this a joke? May was front and centre for absolutely ages working non-stop. She can't go for a day of cricket after the nightmare she went through?

Such moaning. Woman's crying at the pulpit but can't take a day off after she's not the PM.

Maybe she had time off in lieu. :p

I agree. In the overall scheme of things May being at the cricket is a non-story and the woman deserved a break.
    Perhaps if she had held up a sign saying 'Angela Merkel thinks I'm at work' people wouldn't be complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I understand the fear, but they had the same smugness about proroguing parliament and got absolutely hammered.

They have a 100% losing record, having lost every single vote in Parliament, and when the opposition finally vote to unseat Johnson as PM, he will have had the shortest tenure in #10 ever, as well as the historic 11-0 hiding he got in the Supreme Court.

He is just crap at Prime Ministering, and Cummings is one of those clever people who genuinely think everyone else is an idiot and hence overestimate their own abilities.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I know people like to paint the current Tory crop as stupid but I didn't think them stupid enough to keep talking themselves into an embarrassing climbdown. I suspected there was a few more plays left.

Interesting times.

It seems to me that the only "plan" they have is to try and bully or exasperate others to just give up.

Whether that's trying to bully and abuse their opposition into giving them the election they so desperately want or exasperating the EU by continuing to provide no substantive suggestions for a deal such that the EU27 are less likely to agree to what should be the inevitable extension.

That's all they have - They are the toddler lying on the ground thrashing their arms and legs and trying to make themselves vomit so they can get their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ltd440

Although Cummings is obviously a smart guy, he was at his best against a small section of undecided voters in a referendum.
    His machiavellian tricks seem to be washing off the backs of more politically astute minds.
    I would think he's a busted flush at this stage and Boris is only keeping him in the hope of using his expertise in the election

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,427 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I understand the fear, but they had the same smugness about proroguing parliament and got absolutely hammered.

They have a 100% losing record, having lost every single vote in Parliament, and when the opposition finally vote to unseat Johnson as PM, he will have had the shortest tenure in #10 ever, as well as the historic 11-0 hiding he got in the Supreme Court.

He is just crap at Prime Ministering, and Cummings is one of those clever people who genuinely think everyone else is an idiot and hence overestimate their own abilities.

They are devious enough to have a plan B and C and who knows, they may have been well aware the prorogation would be overturned. They have managed to waste time though by doing it.

I just wouldn't be confident in the 'they are stupid' theory...yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unless they make this move at 11:59pm on the 31st October parliament can still remove Johnson from his PM role and install someone else temporarily who will submit the extension letter.

Edit: and to ignore the Benn act would mean they need to make their move on the 17th anyway. Loads of time to remove Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

They have managed to waste time though by doing it.

They could have wasted just as much time by sitting eating ham sandwiches.

They have achieved less than nothing, losing their thin majority not by a little, but by a lot, and losing massively in the Supreme Court. If they try another stunt that lands them in court, they can expect a very unsympathetic hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

https://mobile.twitter.com/bencoates1/status/1176750116474163201?s=21

Bit of irony but Kenya threatening to have Britain suspended from the commonwealth if the Brexiteers try undermining the Supreme Court. Kicked out of their own club the utter hilarity of it all if it ever happens.

Infini wrote: »
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bencoates1/status/1176750116474163201?s=21

Bit of irony but Kenya threatening to have Britain suspended from the commonwealth if the Brexiteers try undermining the Supreme Court. Kicked out of their own club the utter hilarity of it all if it ever happens.
    It's tongue in cheek - Kenyans imagining how the equivalent happening in Kenya would be reported in the British/International media.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

If I understand correctly, the Benn Act forces Johnson to request an extension to the date the leave the EU if no deal has been agreed.

Johnson could request an extension satisifying that, but one which also demands conditions which could force a refusal from the EU- then he acheives his no deeal brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://twitter.com/Michael42683163/status/1177121447317254144?s=19

Oof, these are bad days to be an Ulster Unionist, wanted by no-one at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

https://twitter.com/Michael42683163/status/1177121447317254144?s=19

Oof, these are bad days to be an Ulster Unionist, wanted by no-one at this stage

There can't be too many issues (especially one on what "Britain" means) where Sinn Féin and the Brexit Party are 100% in agreement.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Brendan O'Neill urging people to riot :

https://twitter.com/MonarchyUK/status/1177549862348480512

(That should be the end of his TV career, but extremists on TV are the norm these days)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement