Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Guardian saying they have been briefed that Dublin will come under pressure to accept a time limit if Johnson presents a coherent plan.

If the EU let's this country down over this fundamental issue there will be consequences and very negative public reaction toward the EU.

The stakes could not be higher.

Accepting a time limit is the same as a countdown to a physical border.

Would you have a link to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

NI business reaction:

https://twitter.com/ManufacturingNI/status/1179144723908485120

https://twitter.com/ManufacturingNI/status/1179148284897763329

It does feel like we're about to enter a new phase tomorrow: all out blame game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭maebee

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Boris and seething faces.... Sea.. of DUP faces

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1179120524376580096

The blinkered DUP cannot see that BoJo is the greatest threat to the union, not Corbyn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Powell is an angry and withering man on Newsnight at the minute. 'A scam' and 'nonsense' and 'pretence' in the vocabulary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Jonathan Powell excellent once again on Newsnight. Describing the proposals put forward by Johnson as a "scam", something not serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,806 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1179141080236863488

This guy is in charge of the UK now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭brick tamland

That sham of a proposal wouldnt even get thru the commons without a Tory majority, let alone the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You'd think Congress would be too busy with 'other things' on their mind, but no, they've got themselves a little resolution going.

No GFA, no trade deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Part of me wishes the EU would just refuse an extension. Put parliament in a position where they have to choose between revoking article 50, or crashing out with no deal.

A general election is almost inevitably either going to result in a hung parliament, giving us no more clarity than we have today, or a Tory majority, in which case we’re headed for no deal anyway.

Let’s just get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Also this bit. No one can seriously expect this can they? They must get it by now?

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1179141612141711362

• Advertisement

He has been, since BoJo became PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Its definitely about the Blame Game now - they just want to make this our fault - as in the EU and Ireland

Rather striking Anti Irish Press Preview on Sky News at 10:30 (annoyed now that i missed Newsnight on the Beeb) = but the tone was very anti-dublin

One of the reviewers basically said that if ireland were offered a deal with a cure for cancer attached, we would say no

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah this is, as usual, aimed at internal UK consumption. It has nothing to do with a deal.

Johnson is not looking for a deal. A deal will hand lots of votes to BP and that, ultimately, is what Johnson is focused on. Winning an election. And no way he does that by stricking a deal.

And the EU are fully aware of that. They know this isn't about them. They will stick to the same lines as before. LauraK was tweeting that this may get the EU talking to the UK as if that means anything.

The EU will continue to talk, knowing nothing will happen but looking to at least have tried.

The fact that Johnson has basically shafted NI, whilst giving them almost no benefit, will be lost in the noise.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You'd think Congress would be too busy with 'other things' on their mind, but no, they've got themselves a little resolution going.

No GFA, no trade deal.

Boris & Co are really not getting that the GFA is an International agreement that their country signed up for and how extremely important it is. USA is not on for trading with them if they compromise the GFA.

It's all about themselves, little Englanders. They will break up their union. What a price to pay for the Union Jack!.

They will struggle bigtime for trading partners. USA out. OZ out, as per ex PM today on Sky News. The world is watching their behaviour. They are a disgrace.

Written with a heavy heart as I have family and friends in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If they could only exit and leave the rest of us alone, it would be ok.

As it is, it will be a disaster for their "dear friends", and they know it.

But whilst No Deal will be tough for many including ourselves, there is a danger that if they stay in with a deal of sorts, they will be a thorn in the side of the EU forever more.

That is not an inviting prospect is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,806 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the picture of all the new customs cars today in Dundalk pretty much confirms we expect no deal now.

For how long will it be no deal for?

But whilst No Deal will be tough for many including ourselves, there is a danger that if they stay in with a deal of sorts, they will be a thorn in the side of the EU forever more.

This part is interesting and echoes what you said above.

is_that_so wrote: »

link seems to be broken pal - can you repost? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

The best part of a no deal brexit for Ireland and the EU is that we can start work dealing with the outcome of brexit and adapt so we can all move on.

• Advertisement

I think the picture of all the new customs cars today in Dundalk pretty much confirms we expect no deal now.

Until Boris's backers rake in all their gains from betting against sterling?

And look for another go round when they buy long on the basis that he caves and signs up for a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

liamtech wrote: »
    link seems to be broken pal - can you repost? :)
    Hmm

Fine now!

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1179153001505800192

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,440 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Customs have always been knocking about Kermit.

Don't know what to make of that photo...pretty sure there was a similar one on social media a while ago during some 'Ireland are about to be thrown under a bus' crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,983 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This part is interesting and echoes what you said above.

Hi your link only appeared when I quoted it and is not working, can you link again thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Its definitely about the Blame Game now - they just want to make this our fault - as in the EU and Ireland

Rather striking Anti Irish Press Preview on Sky News at 10:30 (annoyed now that i missed Newsnight on the Beeb) = but the tone was very anti-dublin

One of the reviewers basically said that if ireland were offered a deal with a cure for cancer attached, we would say no

Totally missing the point that businesses and hauliers in NI are deeply alarmed at the reports coming out of London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Didn't see the papers (they always have a right wing guest to balance the centreist/lefty) but the (Ireland?) correspondent they had on after the 11 PM news was thoroughly cynical about the motives for this proposal. Indeed I've noticed the media starting to ask the questions with an edge that was totally lacking up till now. Everyone sees Boris Johnson is a spoofer at this stage. Even Kussenburg seems to be getting a bit more "ballsy" in tone.

Hi your link only appeared when I quoted it and is not working, can you link again thanks.
    Working fine for me, but here goes aain

Didn't see the papers (they always have a right wing guest to balance the centreist/lefty) but the (Ireland?) correspondent they had on after the 11 PM news was thoroughly cynical about the motives for this proposal. Indeed I've noticed the media starting to ask the questions with an edge that was totally lacking up till now. Everyone sees Boris Johnson is a spoofer at this stage. Even Kussenburg seems to be getting a bit more "ballsy" in tone.

If anyone can rewind to the sky news press briefing at 10:30 they will see what i mean - the 11:30 was toned down rather significantly but the earlier review was decidedly anti irish - effective argument, no matter what is offered dublin will say no

im sure someone else can confirm this, il see if my sat box will rewind

• Advertisement

Customs have always been knocking about Kermit.

Don't know what to make of that photo...pretty sure there was a similar one on social media a while ago during some 'Ireland are about to be thrown under a bus' crisis.
    Cars all had 192 D registrations in the 16k range. That would seem pretty recent to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement