Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covering a gate

Options
  • 20-09-2019 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, back for some advice please.

I've an automated gate, it's about 10 foot wide and four foot high. It's made of galvanised steel with vertical bars.

Anyway I need to make it safer, block off the gaps in the bars

I'm thinking of putting wooden paneling on both sides

Would anyone recommend a wood to do this with ? It is external and I don't want big black fungus marks on it in 18 months , I don't know what to get, decking is treated but looks a bit rough.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Cedar, Larch and Iroko would be suitable, are you going to put a finish on the wood or let it age naturally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Coloured composite fence panels make a nice gate infill and will never need maintenance. They also won't expand and contract like wood. I used some from B&Q, they were T&G so you don't get gaps between the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cedar, Larch and Iroko would be suitable, are you going to put a finish on the wood or let it age naturally

Thanks you, where would you pick that up in Dublin

I don't want it to age naturally as i think it will age poorly. Plus it will get a good belt of dog wiz as I've two dogs. If it was unpainted wood I'd need advice in what to finish it with

Dilbert I'll look at that in B&W. Was going to T&G them myself anyway with my router but that sound handy.

I'd consider that green outdoor paint, the cuprinol stuff. I've used that in the back garden and it looks ok after 4 years.

Ideally I'd like a nice wooden finish.

But I don't want that black fungus in two years time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Strahans Rathcoole, Abbey woods Baldoyle , should sell them, would you consider putting Sikkens oil or similar on it for a finish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Strahans Rathcoole, Abbey woods Baldoyle , should sell them, would you consider putting Sikkens oil or similar on it for a finish

I'll try that Sikkens oil, thank you, read up on it there

• Advertisement
Advertisement