Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Bulbs

Options
  • 20-09-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Any know a good site to buy spring flowering bulbs ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What kind of bulbs are you looking for? Speciality or large quantities of daffodils?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

looksee wrote: »
    What kind of bulbs are you looking for? Speciality or large quantities of daffodils?

Bit of both to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Lidl last week had 2 kg bags of tulip bulbs for reasonable money. Not quite online but closer than the Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

For stuff like daffodils you will be as well buying the big bags they do in the likes of Lidl and Tesco. Daffs will grow in almost any conditions.

Other bulbs I would go to a garden centre so you can see what you are getting. You really need to be looking at the quality of the bulb, and generally it is worth paying a bit more for quality, which you can see in garden centres. Look for firm, plump, good sized bulbs. Those little packets of bulbs can be very mixed for quality, look at them critically.

If you get tempted by rare and expensive ones I would put them in a largish pot sunk in the ground (unless they need more specific conditions and care) so you will know next year if they don't flourish. Once they have established tip out and put the entire contents in a hole with minimum disturbance. This really only applies if you are a careless/forgetful gardener like me :D

Don't buy snowdrop or lily of the valley bulbs, buy snowdrops in flower/green, next season, and likewise lily of the valley already growing, though you can get them earlier to plant and have them flower in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My trust as I am housebound now is in my old friends at Future Forests. ) cannot post links, they are in Cork) they are reducing postage on mail order bulbs too and a wonderful selection of all sizes of bags.. only able for a few but will enjoy them.. their quality is second to none. Lovely family place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd echo Looksee, I gave up in buying bulbs I couldn't see years ago. Better to go to a physical shop and check size & quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cheers for all the feed back. I have been buying firm garden centres for years. Might try mr Middleton alright. Just need to get rid of my squirrel and I'll need to buy less in future. Little bugger could did to Australia:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Second vote for Future Forests. Been
    Buying from them for 20 years and never any problem.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've never used Future Forests but I know people who have and were very happy with them, but I'd also vote for Mr Middleton, their physical shop is tiny (however, their warehouse must be quite substantial) but when it's bulb season it's filled to the rafters: I'm like a child in a candy shop, in there. And they do have a website and an online catalogue. Great service and reasonable prices, too. :)

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Second vote for Future Forests. Been
    Buying from them for 20 years and never any problem.

and they send by An Post so I can get them out here on the island..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Graces7 wrote: »
    and they send by An Post so I can get them out here on the island..

I remember the first trees my postman delivered.
    He was near retiring age and got a great kick out of delivering them, said he never thought he’d have a forest in the back of the van.

_Brian wrote: »
    I remember the first trees my postman delivered.
    He was near retiring age and got a great kick out of delivering them, said he never thought he’d have a forest in the back of the van.

Oh how lovely!

Had an email chat with Matt today … hated leaving that area as they were an integral part of my happy life in Kerry and Cork. Knitted for their babies as they arrived. Genuine, sincere folk and so skilled at their work and loving it. Will get my bulbs next week ...paperwhite narcissi, blue hyacinths and a few snowdrops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Bought some spring bulbs from Thomson and Morgan in the UK.
    Got a lot more for the money.

Bluebell, snowdrops band and crocus. Not sure whether to plant under the hedge or along the hedgerow in my field.

Advertisement