Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Very happy for KJT. Such a good overall score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

nannerby wrote: »
    Tbh I was going for likeable.

Jess is a sweetheart, Greg, very down to earth likeable guy... and Mo is.......well...Mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭unichick

Delighted for KJT winning at last. She always was over shadowed by the golden girl Jess Ennis. Hopefully now she’ll go from strength to strength.

Can’t see anyone but Hassan winning the 1,500m.

Naser ran amazingly tonight & in the rounds. Hope she’s clean.

Great champs so far & glad seats have filled up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Nasser....3rd fastest time in history! Nothing to see here! Up there with Koch and Kratochvilova. Records that nobody would ever get near again. No wonder Miller Uibo looked shocked!

Fair.

Though, 0.54 is not "near" the world record over 400m. It's quite a big chunk. She's in the Perec territory, who ran 48.25 back in Atlanta 96.

Have to say I'm not hugely surprised Naser beat Miller-Uibo (though am shocked at the time). Naser has been running well all year and Miller-Uibo hasn't raced her at all and has mainly raced 200s at the Diamond League. I thought the 200 was a dead cert for her, and she chose the event that was not a dead cert. She said she was training for the 400 which is why she picked it and is still happy with that decision.

I'm kind of raging I didn't back Naser.

Murph_D wrote: »
    I dont think it was a ‘lucky’ run. There’s no such thing. Bad choice of words. But in the sense that it could easily have gone the other way for fifth place in a slow race, I think she will be relieved to have survived. That’s all.

McDonald went from 1st to 6th in final 200 or so. Ciara went from 2nd to 5th. She ran well in lap 3 when things started to heat up. But the four runners who went past on the straight were the ones in control. Ciara was in control of the race against McDonald (ultimately the one that mattered most), but not the others!

Just not getting carried away, is all. Well done to her.

Those 4 athletes are a class apart from the rest of the field in that semi final. Ciara knew that. She was comfortably the best of the rest. I was worried with the slow pace as it meant the 2 fastest loser spots were definitely going to be gone, but in those last 100m it looked never in doubt.

She didn't even get sick after this race, unlike the heat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

nannerby wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see what tactics Muir uses.

Will have to go to the front and push the pace. Still difficult to know precisely what form she's in after picking up an injury not long before World's, but I'm desperately hoping she can get on the podium.

Delighted for Mageean too btw, she's had a brilliant year. Wouldn't rule out her cracking 4 minutes either, not after her 4.19 mile during the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

The IAAF youtube stream has been great. Have had it on in the background all week. The track side reporting is a little on the awkward side with constant referrals to the amazing atmosphere as they throw their hand out to the near empty stadium.

There was a decent crowd last night by this championships standards, I hope thats the minimum for the remainder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

The IAAF youtube stream has been great...

Nice one Dubh

Ciara Megeean's 1500m heat
    https://youtu.be/CpJqXQ2xSlo?t=23617

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Those 4 athletes are a class apart from the rest of the field in that semi final. Ciara knew that. She was comfortably the best of the rest. I was worried with the slow pace as it meant the 2 fastest loser spots were definitely going to be gone, but in those last 100m it looked never in doubt.

She didn't even get sick after this race, unlike the heat. :)

Naser was flying earlier in the year also, she came into this a bit more fresher than most and running the mix relays was maybe a wise move

Crowd is even bigger again tonight with 15 mins to the start of the session. Organisers deserve credit for turning around these championships. The negative stories were rightly published but will the same people now publish the positive ones? I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

I thought some of those East German records were untouchable. Miller-Uibo was in shock, she couldn't see her till 100m to go but then she put on the afterburners. It's just that Naser was so far ahead but I think Miller-Uibo could go under world record pace looking at her finish. I think Naser can too although this appeared to be a perfect run. There will obviously be drug rumours with these runs but at this stage does it matter? Linford Christie was given a nice little section on the BBC yesterday. Apparently he sleeps well at night, it's those who were out to get him who should feel guilty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

I thought some of those East German records were untouchable. Miller-Uibo was in shock, she couldn't see her till 100m to go but then she put on the afterburners. It's just that Naser was so far ahead but I think Miller-Uibo could go under world record pace looking at her finish. I think Naser can too although this appeared to be a perfect run. There will obviously be drug rumours with these runs but at this stage does it matter? Linford Christie was given a nice little section on the BBC yesterday. Apparently he sleeps well at night, it's those who were out to get him who should feel guilty.

The BBC should be ashamed of themselves for this weeks coverage.

The high jump could be exciting tonight looking forward to it.
    Delighted f Ingerbristen lost hope he doesnt make it in as a fastest loser.

Great 400h... great race.. Mclaughlan stutter on the bend probably cost her a bit, but finished strong

Cant believe they went to the red button just as the race was about to start and it didn't work for me.

This world championship has just kicked into another gear tonight! Superb racing, Barshim in the high jump, 400m hurdles, now the steeplechase. Top class.

Boom! What a high jump competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Two fantastic races there. Great high jump comp. Atmosphere is obviously better, thanks to Barshim. Qatar should buy a few field eventers...

Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! What a jump. Crowd are going crazy!

What was the steeplechase like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It was brilliant! Unreal finish.

Watching the walking and a german athlete just collapsed right in the camera view. It's such a bad look but shows the conditions they're dealing with in the endurance events.

John.Icy wrote: »
    It was brilliant! Unreal finish.

Watching the walking and a german athlete just collapsed right in the camera view. It's such a bad look but shows the conditions they're dealing with in the endurance events.

Savage race, and pace. 4.07 between 15/16k.. ok it was off a slow start but still that's shifting..
    A lot of local club runners would be happy with that pace

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Two fantastic races there. Great high jump comp. Atmosphere is obviously better, thanks to Barshim. Qatar should buy a few field eventers...

The reason why the Qataris care about Barshim is because he IS Qatari. The others aren't so they don't care. Qataris aren't into sport but they came to support Barshim. That shows how big he is.

Barshim was only one of the reasons tonight was so good. Most people in the stadium weren't Qatari.

People will have their long term opinions on these championships set in stone from the first few days regardless of what happens after, but tonight was one of the best nights of live athletics I've ever been at. There were people standing on the aisles and people struggling to get in. They probably should have opened the top tier section on the backstraight but the atmosphere was electric with so many close together. There were more people than there were seats.

Remember, championships last for 10 days. It takes time to build momentum. Contrary to popular belief, Berlin 2009 which is lauded as the greatest championships in history had poor enough attendence early on before momentum built.

Doha should take a bow tonight. The organisers deserve credit for turning these championships around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Chivito550 wrote: »
    The reason why the Qataris care about Barshim is because he IS Qatari. The others aren't so they don't care. Qataris aren't into sport but they came to support Barshim. That shows how big he is.

Barshim was only one of the reasons tonight was so good. Most people in the stadium weren't Qatari.

People will have their long term opinions on these championships set in stone from the first few days regardless of what happens after, but tonight was one of the best nights of live athletics I've ever been at. There were people standing on the aisles and people struggling to get in. They probably should have opened the top tier section on the backstraight but the atmosphere was electric with so many close together. There were more people than there were seats.

Remember, championships last for 10 days. It takes time to build momentum. Contrary to popular belief, Berlin 2009 which is lauded as the greatest championships in history had poor enough attendence early on before momentum built.

Doha should take a bow tonight. The organisers deserve credit for turning these championships around.

Do we have a code word that you could use to prove to us you aren’t posting this from inside a Qatari prison while they waterboard you for calling Doha a s*ithole a week ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Do we have a code word that you could use to prove to us you aren’t posting this from inside a Qatari prison while they waterboard you for calling Doha a s*ithole a week ago?
    I was watching the Youtube stream last night, with Dervla doing various soundbites around the track between and after events. Every one of her soundbites seemed to be targeted at affirming how full the stadium was and how much fun everyone was having. Certainly seemed scripted, rather than Dervla's more typical engaging athletics patter. Seemed like a waste of her talent and experience. I think she's been indoctrinated like Chivito.

Well however they managed to turn it around and get ppl into the stadium they did it and it really adds to the championship so they deserve a bit of credit.

I was watching the Youtube stream last night, with Dervla doing various soundbites around the track between and after events. Every one of her soundbites seemed to be targeted at affirming how full the stadium was and how much fun everyone was having. Certainly seemed scripted, rather than Dervla's more typical engaging athletics patter. Seemed like a waste of her talent and experience. I think she's been indoctrinated like Chivito.

Obviously, athletics is getting bad press so those involved with the sport are trying to paint it in as good a light as possible, get some good press. No harm in that but no hiding from the fact that the hosting of this event in Qatar is just as big a scandal as the soccer world cup.

It really was quality athletics last night though. You kind of have to put your drug use suspicions to the back of your head to enjoy it, however. Hopefully McGeehan has a good run tonight, top 8 would be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Obviously, athletics is getting bad press so those involved with the sport are trying to paint it in as good a light as possible, get some good press. No harm in that but no hiding from the fact that the hosting of this event in Qatar is just as big a scandal as the soccer world cup.

It really was quality athletics last night though. You kind of have to put your drug use suspicions to the back of your head to enjoy it, however. Hopefully McGeehan has a good run tonight, top 8 would be very good.

If you worry about drug use you won’t be able to enjoy any sport. Let the cards fall where they land and if somebody is caught in ten years so be it.

Every sport is at it. Atleast in athletics they might get caught.

BDI wrote: »
    If you worry about drug use you won’t be able to enjoy any sport. Let the cards fall where they land and if somebody is caught in ten years so be it.

Every sport is at it. Atleast in athletics they might get caught.

It's just when the untouchable times are being touched that you have to have questions. I'm enjoying it though.

On a seperate note, Radcliffe is coming under increasing scrutiny. Will she get any hard questions on the BBC?

• Advertisement

It's just when the untouchable times are being touched that you have to have questions. I'm enjoying it though.

On a seperate note, Radcliffe is coming under increasing scrutiny. Will she get any hard questions on the BBC?

No they will probably say nothing they were almost critising usada during the week.

Advertisement