Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Athletics Championships, Doha

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

This might have something to do with all those last-minute ticket ‘sales’.

https://www.theticketingbusiness.com/2019/10/04/iaaf-worlds-offer-universities-doha-free-tickets/

Bit like The Stones in Croke Park last year! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Caprica

The decision to award the World Champs was wrong and the crowd attendance only confirms this. The fact that they had to give away free tickets to boost numbers underlines the fact. I would have expected that on the night that Barshim, their only home grown talent, was competing would guarantee a big attendance but still large parts of the stands were covered.

Saying that I’ve enjoyed the championships, lots of great and entertaining performances. Barshim was superb last night, he really rose to the occasion and did ignite the crowd. It was a high quality competition, 8 guys still jumping at 2.33.

The steeplechase was outstanding, I have no idea how Kipruto won that race with the seasons he has had but somehow he did. The Ethiopians really went for it and just came up short. Another great race in the Men’s 400, Gardiner looked easy, he’s a very stylish runner. Never heard of the Colombian, slowest into the semis and 44.15NR, some running. I kinda missed the Borlees in it, it’s a long time since at least one them wasn’t in the individual 400.

BBCNI finished early so I switched over to the YouTube feed. It was nice to see Derval but I found her links a bit of overkill, constantly on about the atmosphere and the crowd. I’m disappointed that Eurosport aren’t covering it.

Best of luck to Ciara this evening, she’s done well so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Do we have a code word that you could use to prove to us you aren’t posting this from inside a Qatari prison while they waterboard you for calling Doha a s*ithole a week ago?
    I was watching the Youtube stream last night, with Dervla doing various soundbites around the track between and after events. Every one of her soundbites seemed to be targeted at affirming how full the stadium was and how much fun everyone was having. Certainly seemed scripted, rather than Dervla's more typical engaging athletics patter. Seemed like a waste of her talent and experience. I think she's been indoctrinated like Chivito.

Friday - OK
    Saturday - Terrible
    Sunday - Terrible
    Monday - Very good
    Tuesday - Decent
    Wednesday - Not great
    Thursday - Very good
    Friday - Excellent

Friday and Saturday is the weekend here so they should have run these championships Thursday to Saturday week, not Friday to Sunday week.

Yes they gave out free tickets. I recall similar happening at previous championships. Berlin 09, which everyone harps on about actually got off to a slow start before they discounted the price of tickets and the numbers rose as a result. Frankly, I don't care what sort of a profit the event makes. I just want to see good attendances. If that means free tickets, so be it. People still have to actually show up even if the tickets are free.

I stand by my comments on Qatar as a nation and their human rights violations and that they should not be awarded major sporting events.

However, this is the first major championships where East Africans have been able to support their athletes and it has been magnificent in that regard. A world championships in Kenya would be incredible.

With regards Qatar as a tourist destination, there isn't enough to kill 2 weeks if you are here for the World Cup, but there is more than I anticipated. The Souq Waqif is very good and the Pearl district is fascinating, stunning and obscene in equal measure. The Corniche skyscrapers are very impressive and a trip to the desert sand dunes in a 4WD and Inland Sea is a lot of fun. You really have to look past how these things were built though before you enjoy them.

After 3 days I hated this place and was so underwhelmed by the athletics and was so unexcited about heading to the stadium after the dreadful crowds for the women's 100m. Monday night's athletics really kicked off the championships and it has improved significantly since then, and it has become very enjoyable much to my pleasant surprise.

I also decided to stop moaning about the place, realised I spent good money to be here and approached the place with an open mind. It's not all bad.

I'll never condone 13 euro pints however! And I don't like the way everyone calls me 'sir'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just seen the 3,000 St race now. Wow.

Been some fantastic races this week but that might just trump 'em all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ciara’s final starts at 6.55 this evening..

W 5000 final right after it...

Men’s marathon to finish...

Treat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

****ing red button :mad: gggrrrr

Go to live stream on youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYAaYVvh8i8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Really hope Ciara runs well

Ciara suffering..

Hassan’s a monster!

• Advertisement

3.51 front running wow

First ever 1500/10k double at global championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

walshb wrote: »
    Ciara suffering..

Hassan upped the pace and burnt everyone !
    Savage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Hassan’s a monster!

But is she clean ?

PB for Ciara. 4:00.15

PB for Ciara.

Annabella1 wrote: »
    But is she clean ?

Definitely not on this forum..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

ciara just outside sub 4. muir went for gold and got nothing. not much to say about Hassan.

Why?
    She is a Salazar protégée

Feel sorry for Muir I really like her but she got it all wrong.

• Advertisement

Why?
    She is a Salazar protégée

Take it to that thread..

we can only say what we know for sure, She is still on the clean list but was coached by a cheat

did muir suffer more than others, she was one of 3 in the race not to pb

she went for gold should have settled for a medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

But is she clean ?

Great coach apparently.

Muir very close to PB. She was slightly off the pace, and I think in getting back in contact she burnt herself!

• Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

Over 4 second pb for Hassan? Puts her high up the all time greatest list, up with the great Chinese runners of the 90's.

Over 4 second pb for Hassan? Puts her high up the all time greatest list, up with the great Chinese runners of the 90's.
    but still 1.9s off Diababa, who was of course clean as a whistle

Over 4 second pb for Hassan? Puts her high up the all time greatest list, up with the great Chinese runners of the 90's.[/quote

Seriously
    Gold in 10k and 1.5k
    Winning by half the track ]
    Even the BBC cheerleaders mentioned the coach

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 127 ✭✭whatcanidonow

jamule wrote: »
    but still 1.9s off Diababa, who was of course clean as a whistle

She had a great coach too.

Advertisement