Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Palace reopens as The Camden

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Culchie_85

I agree with Jon on the above. I've been in the place twice and it's been very busy both times (and they would be off peak times). I can see this place being a huge success. The only issue I could see was a lack of experienced staff. They had a huge amount of staff on, but they didn't appear to be experienced at all

The downfall of many good bars. Even have 2/3 experienced barpeople to crack the whip and you're good but some bars in town definitely hire based on looks and the result is long queues and angry customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Culchie_85 wrote: »
    The downfall of many good bars. Even have 2/3 experienced barpeople to crack the whip and you're good but some bars in town definitely hire based on looks and the result is long queues and angry customers.

I don't think it's even a case of being hired based on looks. From talking to somebody in the hospitality industry, they said a lot of places are struggling to find staff at all, let alone experienced staff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I don't think it's even a case of being hired based on looks. From talking to somebody in the hospitality industry, they said a lot of places are struggling to find staff at all, let alone experienced staff!

Yeah, My local is run by two career bartenders, the only two staff. One of them went on a trip to the rugby world cup and the other had to work 22 days in a row because there's nobody out there looking to take up the trade. It's all students looking for 15-20 hours a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, My local is run by two career bartenders, the only two staff. One of them went on a trip to the rugby world cup and the other had to work 22 days in a row because there's nobody out there looking to take up the trade. It's all students looking for 15-20 hours a week.

When you have to work 22 days in a row it's hardly surprising no one is looking to get into the trade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Augme wrote: »
    When you have to work 22 days in a row it's hardly surprising no one is looking to get into the trade.

If you have a pub in city centre thats busy all the time it can be a license to print money.

Like a certain pub in temple bar charges 8 euro a pint and is packed out 7 days a week.

• Advertisement

Was in here on opening day to have a look. It's very nice inside but the music is so loud that you have to shout to be heard. Not my kind of place at all. Maybe it's ok to drop in on a midweek day but the weekend....not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Was in for the liverpool/city match yday...it is some spot for sports!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Do they still have that machine that big lugs punch it to test their strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I was there for a Liverpool game the other week. Lovely venue. The foot was atrocious and ridiculous expensive for what we got. Took us s out half an hour to order our food too even though upstairs was mostly empty

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Culchie_85 wrote: »
    I was wondering what this was going to reopen as! Glad to hear its good. Camden St is a great spot for drinks. I will have to check this place out!

Is Flannerys still on the go lad?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Great spot to go on a Saturday afternoon when there's some decent games on and chill. Actually was pretty impressed last time I was there, one of the floor staff was quick to spot an empty glass and asked if I'd like another (the answer inevitably being yes), the end result being I left the place without having to endure those long queues, missed none of the matches I wanted to see, pretty tipsy and a bit lighter in the wallet department than when I went in. A roaring success for all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone know do they open late on weekends? A lot of places which closed down as nightclubs and reopened as bars have ditched this element, from what I hear it's because of the ongoing insurance bullsh!t. I've also heard rumours over the last couple of years that after a decade or so of non-enforcement, that 3AM closing time thing is actively being policed in some areas of the city?

Advertisement