Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent gym with pool

Options
  • 21-09-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

What's the best gym in KK with gym and pool, best price also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

They are all pretty good. Would problem depend on what side of town. Price varies and you are better off going in and talking to them, they give a better deal. I have my family in Hotel Kilkenny and like it there. Price was high but when I dropped in they were able to work out a deal that was cheaper than springhill where I was previously

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’d say the Watershed but the pool gets pretty over run with kids at certain times. Fairly reasonable prices and free classes too for full members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

As far as pools go, the Watershed is the best but you need to go there when its quiet. It gets very busy at times and it's all round a ****ty experience if it's mobbed and you're trying to share lanes with 50 other people.

Get it at a quiet time and there might be only 5 other people there. Nice and quiet.

the other pools in kilkenny are fairly brutal. Small little hotel yokes. Doing lengths in them is no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭sanjose1

Except Ormond, 21 metre pool and decently wide

sanjose1 wrote: »
    Except Ormond, 21 metre pool and decently wide

Disagree. Was a member of there before. Pool in dire condition. Filthy. Changing rooms manky too. Pool pretty small compared to the watershed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Hotel pools are normally quite except for the weekend mornings. Las time I was in the Ormonde hotel pool it was pretty bad and changing rooms were in bad need of a renovation but that was 3 years ago. Hopefully they have spent some money on it. Springhill, Newpark and Hotel Kilkenny all have nice pools.
    You could get a pass to try out any of them for free and see for yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

road_high wrote: »
    I’d say the Watershed but the pool gets pretty over run with kids at certain times. Fairly reasonable prices and free classes too for full members

Certain times? Try all the times. And if you're a guy you will get nasty looks from the teachers, chaperones, for having the nerve to try and swim with the kids there. Let the schools build their own if they're worried about predators.

johnmc76 wrote: »
    Certain times? Try all the times. And if you're a guy you will get nasty looks from the teachers, chaperones, for having the nerve to try and swim with the kids there. Let the schools build their own if they're worried about predators.

They really don't care unless you're being weird. Mind your own business and carry on. Says a lot about your own confidence more than anything.

Also there are quiet times generally after the school lessons finish up around 2-3pm. Depending on the day. The class timetables are on the website so plan around those if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

What's the best gym in KK with gym and pool, best price also.

Thanks

I have been a member of nearly all gym facilities in Kilkenny at various stages with different experiences in them all. It really depends on whether you priority is the swimming pool or the gym area.

Newpark Hotel gym is very small and alot of the free weights/gym equipment is worn and old. They are apparently planning to do renovations works of the gym in January next year but no idea what scale this will be. The pool area of the Newpark is up there with the best. All well maintained and brilliant outdoor infinity pool. The pool itself is quiet small but generally not too busy except for busy usual periods with hotel guests. I left here simply because the gym area is too small

Kilkenny Ormonde hotel has a very big gym area but again equipment is not of great condition and not modern. The pool area and changing rooms are also of very poor condition and badly need some TLC. I left here because poor general upkeep of the gym equipment and pool area

Hotel Kilkenny probably has thes best balance between a good gym and good swimming pool area. The gym is well maintained and some good class options available while the pool area is always in good nick and has a nice relaxing atmosphere. It is pricey in comparison to others but proabably worth it if the budget can stretch that far and you think you will get your moneys worth

Wateshed: The gym area is quite good and good range of equipment. Because it priced a good bit cheaper in relation to all the other hotel/gyms it means it quite busy alot of the times and there is times you might have to wait for use of specific equipment. I also found it then annoying have to move gear down to the downstairs changing room if going for a swim. The pool is always busy too with lessons etc so not somewhere where it easy to relax

I currently a member of TJ Reids gym and have to say I love it up there. Great wide range of equipment and classes available and they constantly looking to upgrade the place with the latest equipment and technology available. The changing rooms are a bit tight for space but other than that no other real complaints. I do miss not having the option of going for a swim and a steam on Sunday evening if hungover but Cest La Vie!

Advertisement