Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone Ports work in Bridged Mode?

• 21-09-2019 5:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am looking to upgrade the WiFi in my folks house to use a mesh system.

However, they have their home phone connected in via the back of the Eir router. They have Eir FTTH broadband.

To add the mesh WiFi to the house I'd need to put the Eir router into bridged mode but I'm wondering if the telephone ports on the back of the Eir router work when it's switched to Bridged Mode?

Also, I'm wondering if the LAN ports work too, I might need to use 1 of them also. I think I tried this before a few years back and they did but I'm not 100% sure...

Cheers,
    Mac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

If your mesh system supports VLAN tagging on WAN you should not need to bridge. Set it for VLAN 10 on the WAN and it should work.

The phone is going to be an issue either way. I doubt if it works in bridge mode but I've never tried it. One poster has connected the eir router behind another router and the phone apparently works with some port forwarding. Here is the explanation:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110875525&postcount=9622

I don't think you can use the LAN ports on a bridged device. Wouldn't the LAN ports be outside of your mesh network rendering them useless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

If your mesh system supports VLAN tagging on WAN you should not need to bridge. Set it for VLAN 10 on the WAN and it should work.

The phone is going to be an issue either way. I doubt if it works in bridge mode but I've never tried it. One poster has connected the eir router behind another router and the phone apparently works with some port forwarding. Here is the explanation:

I don't think you can use the LAN ports on a bridged device. Wouldn't the LAN ports be outside of your mesh network rendering them useless?

Hi there,

So, after a bit of tinkering today I figured out it's not possible to use the phone Ports on the F2000 router when it's in Bridged Mode.

So, the only viable option for me was to turn off the WiFi on the F2000 and then put the Tenda Mesh devices into bridged mode and leaving DHCP in the hands of the F2000.

Thankfully it appears to be working just fine.

Cheers,
    Mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

I followed the advice on your link some months ago and all is working fine. I have a new router replacing the Eir device and have Eir device connected to it with port forwarding configured. Voice is working fine.

Advertisement