Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of bathroom remodel ???

Options
  • 21-09-2019 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Would anyone have had a bathroom renovated lately?Looking at having ours done but shocked at the quotes we are getting !!!Its a standard bathroom/3 bed semi house.Looking for a complete removal of all that's in it and to fit new wet room style shower :vanity basin:toilet :mirror with light and tile walls and floors.Any rough idea as to what cost should be involved would be greatly appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

mommy bear wrote: »
    Would anyone have had a bathroom renovated lately?Looking at having ours done but shocked at the quotes we are getting !!!Its a standard bathroom/3 bed semi house.Looking for a complete removal of all that's in it and to fit new wet room style shower :vanity basin:toilet :mirror with light and tile walls and floors.Any rough idea as to what cost should be involved would be greatly appreciated .

It can depend on if you’re moving pipes, but we did an en suite and main bathroom 2 years ago. We were shocked too, but we did shop around and in the end I gave to the guys who gave me an itemized quote so I could at least see the detail.

Main bathroom we moved bath and sink around in remodel, added lit mirror and ceiling spots, and fully tiled, updated shower area and fitted new electric and normal showers, fitted towel rail instead of rad - that was 5.5k labour.

En-suite was a full tile and new wares in same place as before, mirrors and spots for electrics, towel rail for rad - 3750 in labour.

I wouldn’t expect much change out of 4K in labour for your re-model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

3-4k to do it to a good standard. Probably on the upper end of that in the bigger cities

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mommy bear

Thank you both .Great to have a ball point figure of what to expect cost wise .Our remodel sounds very similar to yours.We do want to reposition the sink and toilet but surely this can't add to the astronomical quotes we have gotten.First quote came in at 7k just for labour and we were to supply all fittings and tiles except for the shower tray(wet room style) .Second quite at 9.1k for everything ,labour and fittings but not for any electrical work that might need doing or painting (ceiling etc afterwards ).Are they having a laugh???!!!(At my expense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Might have gotten better answers in the plumbing forum.

I'm spending over 2k re tiling & tanking my shower cubicle. Cost includes door, glass panel, try and bar mixer with rain head. I'm a plumber so there is no labour cost in this for plumbing

Ib a training course in Aqualisa UK I saw a shower head that costs £1k plus vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mommy bear

Sleeper12 Thank you for your reply.The plumbing forum is a good plan .Crazy prices altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

mommy bear wrote: »
    Thank you both .Great to have a ball point figure of what to expect cost wise .Our remodel sounds very similar to yours.We do want to reposition the sink and toilet but surely this can't add to the astronomical quotes we have gotten.First quote came in at 7k just for labour and we were to supply all fittings and tiles except for the shower tray(wet room style) .Second quite at 9.1k for everything ,labour and fittings but not for any electrical work that might need doing or painting (ceiling etc afterwards ).Are they having a laugh???!!!(At my expense!)

That does sound like a lot. Our lads painted the ceiling as part of the quote, and fitted a new shower pump (part supplied by them). Basically we bought anything you can see, they bought the rest.

So for 5.5k in main bathroom we had:
    Full strip out including knocking small stud wall between old shower and bath
    Move pipes for sink and bath
    fitting new waterproof plasterboard to shower area and tanking
    Set membrane and concreted for floor water proofing walk in shower
    Full tiling of about 8m2 on floor including a 900mm by 1500mm mosaic floor
    Full tile of bathroom walls including ingress shelf
    Fitted electric shower on one wall and standard on another
    Fitted bath and large sink unit and toilet
    Fitted heated towel rail
    All electrics for shower and new spots in ceiling (light fittings included)
    Skip bags for waste included, we just had to ring to get them collected when the lads were done.

Sounds like a builder is trying it on. When can they start? We had to wait 3 months for any of the crowds that quoted us. We got a recommendation from a bathroom store of 3 good but busy suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

From quotes I have got around 6k-7k should get you everything out and all new put in including tiles/new suite etc.

If you are moving stuff or getting new rads/extractor fans other extras then allow more.

Quotes I got included new medium range suite, new electric shower (replacement so already plumbed and wired) and all tiling floor and walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Myself I paid 3.5k each for both of my bathrooms when I got them redone. That was labour costs. We had to move nearly all the pipes in both bathrooms as we took the bath out of the smaller bathroom and put a shower in it and the larger bathroom we took the shower out and put a bath in the middle of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

i have a very small bathroom 2.2m by 1.7m
    i am getting new floor tiles, 1 wall tiled, 1 wall panelled, new sink in a unit, new toilet , new shower, 2 lights over mirror plus electrics, new shower screen, new tap and outside wall dry lined.
    for 4.7k incl labour and all parts.
    is that excessive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LauraWestCork

Hi,

We are currently trying to get our bathroom done up and have had a similar experience with crazy prices being quoted, latest was €8700 for labour alone!!! We are having an old bathroom of standard size in a bungalow remodeled as a wet room. I have toyed with organising all trades myself (need carpenter as well as tiler, plumber and electrician) but after doing this with a deep retrofit of the bungalow I don't think I want to deal with the headache of chasing different people for different things and blaming each other when it goes wrong. Does anyone have any recommendations of trades people who will come in and do it all at a reasonable cost? Thanks any advice much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi,

We are currently trying to get our bathroom done up and have had a similar experience with crazy prices being quoted, latest was €8700 for labour alone!!! We are having an old bathroom of standard size in a bungalow remodeled as a wet room. I have toyed with organising all trades myself (need carpenter as well as tiler, plumber and electrician) but after doing this with a deep retrofit of the bungalow I don't think I want to deal with the headache of chasing different people for different things and blaming each other when it goes wrong. Does anyone have any recommendations of trades people who will come in and do it all at a reasonable cost? Thanks any advice much appreciated.
    Application for a council renovation grant ATM got a quote of under e6000 from one builder ( wet room conversion- small bathroom) so I guess shop around

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Prices do seem steep. Got mine done last year in our 3 bed- semi and found it was a pain to try and organise plumber,spark & tiler..however labour costs no way near whats quoted here... living in Galway city.
    Big savings can be made by shopping around for materials, units ect. I found better value at local builders providers compared to the larger out of town stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I'm after getting 2 quotes one from a local guy €9k for main bathroom & ensuite full renovation including fixing the ceiling in kitchen as theres a leak plus changing toilet and sink until in downstairs toilet. Other from a bathroom company based in cork/kerry €13.5k for the same work.

Advertisement